SAU Community

Our New Dr30. Our Old Prince Skyline Gt

clubracer

• 1 month later...

So the brakes didn't clear the wheels by a long shot, so I designed some new disc brake hats to offset the disc 10mm further back and also incorporated a spacer into the design (front and rear) to make sure the callipers clear the spokes. Improved Production allows me to run 100mm flares so I'll be running some once it's all done. Even without the brakes on the front wheels stick out around 50mm so they'll be about 80mm outside the guards once everything is on. The rear won't be as much but there should be some room to add spacers to fill out the guards nicely.

I was originally going to use some DBA discs but i couldn't get the sizes I needed so I ended up going with the Alcons. 304mm x 27mm on the front and 287mm x 16mm on the rear (Dallara F3 discs!). The hats and calliper mounts should be done next week so the car should be rolling by December.

dr30-front-assembly.PNG

dr30-front-assembly-2.PNG

dr30-front-assembly-3.PNG

dr30-rear-assembly.PNG

dr30-rear-assembly-2.PNG

dr30-rear-assembly-3.PNG

• 1 month later...

Finally got the disc hats made. I need to do some small machining on the hats to clear the pads but this has been my first effort using solid works and having anything made! The good news is everything fits. Notice built in spacers into the hats so extra track width/wheel clearance. Unfortunately not enough clearance on the front!
IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1317.jpg
IMG_1327.jpg
IMG_1328.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys,

I have the following brand new gear surplus to my needs. Was for my father and brother but both have decided NOT to race (thanks!!) I am asking very reasonable prices as all is brand new and have literally been tried on only still have tags, all boxed up etc.

Race Suit - Sprint 6 - Red - size 60 - Cost me $650 - Asking $300

Race Suit - Sprint 6 - Black - size 52 - Cost me $650 - Asking $300

Helmet - Sparco Jet (Open Face) - White - Medium - Cost me $299 - Asking $99

Race Boots - Formula SL7 - Black - 43 - Cost me $249 - Asking $150

Race Boots - Formula SL7 - Black - 44 - Cost me $249 - Asking $150

Cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so finally got the spacers and new front end bushes. Now it's time to get things assembled. I did a test fit of the wheels and no clearance issues with the brakes or anything else. Might need those fender flares now though....

IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

I have a bit more machining to do on the rear hats before I can mount everything up but I got the tyres mounted up today. I couldn't help but see how they looked. They will sit a lot further out requiring flared guards (Have been in touch with a guy in NZ who has some moulds for universal CBY flares ala AE86 which will look great. They have a nice edge to them that I think will suit the lines of the DR30 a lot). See below.

1506164_690807890940312_34938990_o.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In other news we are going to have the Prince back on the track in the next couple of months after an extremely long engine build. Saw some good dyno results, and with some new Yokos we should finally be at the front of the historic field. It's only taken 20 years... more to come.

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't help it. I had to see how they were going to fit. Actually for an AE86 Sprinter but I'll modify them to fit. I thought the square edges would suit the lines of the car better than the normal universal ones that are out there.

DR30-ipra-fj20-flares-01.jpg

DR30-ipra-fj20-flares-02.jpg

DR30-ipra-fj20-flares-03.jpg

• Like 1

When I first bolted up the front brake I was a little disappointed in myself. This was my first ever CAD design (brake discs hats and caliper mounts) and when I nipped everything up, they were out by about 1 - 2mm. I was annoyed because I didn't want to have to shim anything.

Well it turns out I was wrong! Today I swapped the bleeders/pipes on the calipers (so they mounted the right way up) and then put everything together TIGHTLY. And it all works perfectly. Perfect spacing everywhere. No need for shims!

Now everything has to come apart again for final assembly (new lock nuts, split pins, bearings etc).

All the hard work and double checking measurements again and again has paid off! Even my machined down wheel nuts have fit perfectly. I think the next couple of weeks everything is going to come together very quickly, with brakes, suspension and cage. Last bit will be wiring, computer and tune, then time to do some track days...

ap-brake-fitment-dr30-15x8+0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally, front suspension and brakes complete!

New ball joints
Whiteline bushes
R31 front sway bar with whiteline bushes

S13 coilovers with R30 Suspension Concepts camber/castor plates

AP racing 4 sport calipers

304mm Alcon discs

Custom brakes hats

Braided lines

Winmax W7 pads

front-brakes-suspension.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Spending money is fun...

So last week I purchased the Adaptronic ECU and the race technology Dash 2 Pro - it will be the only gauge I have, and it has full data logging and and GPS lap timing. Feature wise it's up there with the Motec GPS dash kit, it's just 1/3 the price...

And finally the cage is going in. I am still waiting for the bump steer and rear coilover spacer kits to arrive so I just drilled some temporary holes in the rear strut towers to get the thing rolling (and the front has a heap of toe out!)

Here are some photos. The cage was literally started today so the feet were done, just need to be welded in. The main hoop is bent up so by the end of the week the car is really going to start looking like a race car....

I also cut up the bonnet and boot for the flush mount latches...

front-pins.jpg

rear-pins.jpg

cage-front-foot.jpg

cage-roll-hoop-foot.jpg

cage-rear-foot.jpg

rolling.jpg

I cannot wait to get the suspension setup so I can see how it sits. Next week the cage should be finished and we'll also be cutting the rear guards to tyre clearance before the flares go on (and I'm ditching the white flares - too big, too ugly). Going for some Topstage dry carbon versions that are a bit smaller.

Have made some great progress this week. The main hoop, back stays, front legs and harness bar are all in place, and next week we'll get the rest done. I've also made a few more purchases this week making it an expensive week!! On top of the dash and computer I also got an electric power steering pump from an Astra, an electric water pump and a kit to get rid of the distributor and replace with 4 coils and crank trigger. SO once the cage is finished next week I can start getting the engine prepared for the rewire and tune. Need to fit both water and power steer pumps, remove all the other crap in the engine bay I wont need, test fit the dry sump setup. I'm also looking to get an R33 GTST turbo as the standard one has a heap of shaft play - I wanted something cheap that would be good for a basic tune for when I first run the car. Later down the track when I build the proper engine, I'll change the turbo to something more suited to racing, along with everything else I'll have to do... So more photos next week once the cage is complete!

The cage is about 75% complete. The bottom half of the roll hoop diagonal, the widow and door bars, plus the front strut tower bracing to go. Will be a national spec cage, just in case I think I'm fast enough to compete in something a bit more trophy worthy!

cage-pre-welding.jpg

Edited by clubracer