SAU Community

R33 Street/drift Build

Thought Id post up some of my progress with my R33 that Im building as a street registered drift car.

Bought it a few months ago, pretty stock and am building it from there.

First up was a new steering wheel, gear knob and drift handbrake button.

Since my gtst came with the vspec A-LSD diff which wasn't going to cut it for drifting, it was next to go.

I bought a regular gtst diff and shimmed it up for the time being, while I was at it I put in a few adjustable suspension arms and a hicas lock bar.

At the moment I have started with some power upgrades.

- Hypergear SS3-EG turbo with billet wheel

- 6Boost turbo manifold

- 50mm Turbosmart gate

- Greddy Intake manifold

- ID1000 Injectors & Billet Fuel rail

- Oil Filter relocation & 19 row oil cooler

- Aluminium Radiator

Once I got the turbo and manifolds I sent it all off to get ceramic coated, and decided to do something different and go gold.

Today I bolted everything together, rocker covers and throttle body are off getting ceramic coated.

Next its off to the exhaust shop to get the dump pipe and a removable screamer/plumb back pipe and turbo oil feed line made up.

Then its off to Toshi for a tune on E85.

At the moment Im going to go for dual maps, eventuallyI I might do the whole flex fuel setup.

Stay tuned for more updates and pics....

When I first got it...

29c9f14f.jpg

Out on the wet track...

30c76f82.jpg

db27c01c.jpg

Bolt ons....

c73f0447.jpg

f13cce0e.jpg

381dc7b4.jpg

yeah the gold actually looks a lot better in real life, the pics make it look really yellowy but it really looks more like the last pic of my first post.

Im trying to have it finished for the driftmob drift marathon coming up.

cant wait

• 4 weeks later...

Ran into a few minor hicups.... Im frantically trying to finish it in time to go drifting on Saturday.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get a gasket I need, make an oil return from the turbo and get it tuned..

Here is a pic of where its at now...

396857dc.jpg

well Im hoping for somewhere between 300-350kw on E85 with 20psi

Its a bit of a last minute rush to get it finished, we only managed to half finish the stainless airbox, so we just stuck the pod on the turbo.

Still need to make up a bracket for the power steering reservoir, install the new Venom 5" Cat and fix an oil leak and water leak.

We will be able to do all that tomorrow, but im not sure if there will be enough time to tune it.

Im happy that we at least had it running today..it was rough, but it was running.

A few extras I have thrown in since the original post

- Power FC

- Kaaz 2 way

- HKS EVC 3

- Few Blitz gauges

- Surge tank and 044 in the boot with braided teflon line running the length of the car

- Turbosmart FPR1200

All thats really left that I want to do is

- Buddyclub coilovers

- Ksport brake upgrade

- Cusco roll cage

- Enkei wheels

Also thinking of doing an R34 gtr front end conversion.

Edited by arrydjay

lol i bought a hose with a right angle bend in it. Its a commodore heater hose from Autobarn.

Unfortunately the car wont be ready for drifting this weekend. Got it running and driving, but couldnt get the boost controller and wastegate working to control boost.

I think its just a kinked hose to the wastegate... could have probably fixed it but ran out of time to tune.

Well I was planing on still driving out to the drifts at eastern creek but now the car is making some intense vibrations when any more than a bees dick of throttle is used. Feels like the diff is all jamed up or something, so I'm going to have to see if I can figure this out.

The hose went straight onto the factory fittings, it was a perfect fit.

Figured the problem out... one of the half shafts had popped out of the diff.

I had to pull the diff out and bash it back in but it's all good now. Don't know why it came out, mustnt have been pushed right in.

Time to finish the intake and exhaust and it's off for a tune.

I'm going to start searching the net this week for coilovers and a cage

• 4 months later...

thought I would update this with a few new pics....

bought a set of wheels on eBay for $50 with tyres, put some new federals onthe back ones, repaired all the scratches and painted them satin black.

installed a profec b boost controller and a truck horn.

Also grabbed some Tektronix gear, the zt2 wideband and ECA kit.

My front bar was pretty rooted so I did some fiberglass repairs and moved the number plate.

Painting it properly next week.

probably a few other things I've forgotten as well

20121007_142813.jpg

20121111_143509_HDR.jpg

20121111_143545.jpg

20121111_143556.jpg

20121111_143607.jpg

20121111_143720_HDR.jpg

Edited by arrydjay

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...