SAU Community

How Much Oil To Use When You've Got An Oil Cooler?

I'm going to services my GTR this weekend, but was wondering how much extra oil do you need if you've got an oil cooler?

I've got a HKS oil cooler, i'm guessing it will need an extra litre or so of oil right?

So probably 6 litres?

Yeah id say about 6 litres.

Ive got a custom cooler which is 2" thick, 6" high and about a foot long and mine holds just a tad over 7 litres.

Well i dont think so. Ive never had a problem with mine. It has a drain point, much like a radiator.

So when i change my oil, i drain the sump and the cooler all at the same time as i have mine V mounted down in between the radiator and sump.

And when i refill the system i just pour the oil into the motor and kick it over.

The oil pump does the work for you and the air bubbles will work their way out just like your coolant system.

I could say unbolt your cooler, disconnect the feed hose from your filter and fill it up that way, but that all depends on how accesible your oil cooler is and how much time you want to spend on changing oil.

Letting the oil pump do it for you should be fine.

Just keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge to make sure its all good on startup....

Also, your best to put in a little less and keep checking and topping up rather than over filling from the start, its easier to top up than it is to drain :D

I tend to pour as much oil into the oil cooler lines via the filter relocator as I can (with the filter off), put 4.5L in via oil cap. Disconnect CAS, crank it for abit and then start it with the CAS connected again. Let it idle for a minute, check oil levels with engine off and keep adding until it hits the hump on the dipstick.

I've got an HKS and there's no drain point on my kit. I don't bother draining it, just use good full synth oil every 5000kms. So, it uses the same fill amount as a standard oil change.

Yeah draining the oil cooler isnt really necessary unless you dont change the oil at correct intervals, like above if done every 5 k with good quality oil not a big deal with the half to one litre probably thats left in the cooler and lines or just leave the car sitting over night and most the oil drains down back into the block providing your oil cooler and relo unit are higher than the oil port on the block.

Yeah draining the oil cooler isnt really necessary unless you dont change the oil at correct intervals, like above if done every 5 k with good quality oil not a big deal with the half to one litre probably thats left in the cooler and lines or just leave the car sitting over night and most the oil drains down back into the block providing your oil cooler and relo unit are higher than the oil port on the block.

Like i said in my first post, mine is a custom cooler which holds a little over two litres and sits level with my sump so it wont drain back, which is why i have a drain point on mine.

Plus i like to be thourough and make sure that when i do an oil change, i do it right for my car so i dont ruin my expensive toy lol.

The info was only there for Harry to compare.

Just trying to help.

Okay, so i service my car every 3,000km.

Does that mean that i'm safe not to bother draining my oil cooler?

So it sounds like it's the same old process for me then.

1. Remove sump plug

2. Drain oil from sump

3. Change oil filter

4. Re-insert sump plug

5. Add 6 litres of oil

I was worried that you needed to do some extra step to make sure that no air gaps where in the system from the oil cooler..?

1. Remove sump plug

2. Drain oil from sump

3. Change oil filter

4. Re-insert sump plug

5. Add 6 litres of oil

I was worried that you needed to do some extra step to make sure that no air gaps where in the system from the oil cooler..?

Yep that will be fine doing that you wont have any problems.

Like i said in my first post, mine is a custom cooler which holds a little over two litres and sits level with my sump so it wont drain back, which is why i have a drain point on mine.

Plus i like to be thourough and make sure that when i do an oil change, i do it right for my car so i dont ruin my expensive toy lol.

The info was only there for Harry to compare.

Just trying to help.

By all means if you have a drain plug with a custom setup than I would drain it aswell but my response was more for if you dont have a drain plug on it.

1. Remove sump plug

2. Drain oil from sump

3. Change oil filter

4. Re-insert sump plug

5. Add 6 litres of oil

6 litres should be fine providing that your oil cooler does drain back into the sump on its own. If not, then you may over fill your sump. Not that 1 litre will make too much of a difference.

Id say for the first time changing oil with the cooler, put 5 litres in, start the car, let the car idle for 10 mins or so, turn car off then check the oil level a couple of mins later. If its a little low then your cooler is holding oil and wont drain back. Then you can add another litre in to top it up. In which case all you have to do is put 5 litres in the next time if the cooler wont drain on its own. So it'll be just like a normal oil change.

• 5 months later...

above the draining point, but higher the faster it will drain away as more gravity is pulling on the oil.

*draining point: sump plug

*best place IMO: infront of the radiator drivers side *high as you can*

Hope that helps.