SAU Community

What Tyre Size For Staggered Rims On R32 Gtr

Hey guys, I recently bought some 17x9 and 17x8 +20 BBS LM's for my R32 GTR. The rears have brand new 235/40/R17 Luccini's on them, but the fronts have some shagged 215/45/R17 (not sure of profile couldn't be bothered getting out of bed to double check). I need to replace the fronts, but don't know what size is ideal to run with the GTR as I know people generally run identical tyre size across AWD's.

Any help is much appreciated, as I am a AWD noob.

Thanks guys

Sell the rims, or sell the GTR. You shouldn't run staggered rims, let alone different tyre profiles... unless you want to convert your GTR to permanent RWD by destroying the transfer case.

Sell the rims, or sell the GTR. You shouldn't run staggered rims, let alone different tyre profiles... unless you want to convert your GTR to permanent RWD by destroying the transfer case.

Can anyone confirm staggered rim size with matching profiles will cause issues? From what i have read on here as long and the rolling diameter is within a couple of percentage points it will be fine. I have run staggered rims with matching series rubber with no issues (17x8.5, 17x9.5), attessa behaves fine only seems to activate when slip occurs.

Edited by ima_slap_joO

From memory, even %1 rolling diameter difference is enough to cause ATTESSA to put a small ammount of power to the front wheels full time, this will cook the clutch packs in the transfer case in time. Even having the exact same rims front and back, with the exact same tyres but only tread depeth difference is still enough to make the ATTESSA think there is fulltime wheel spin.

They were previously run on an Evo VIII so I figured if using the right tyre sizes it should be okay. Am I completely wrong?

Lancers have a totally different AWD system. They are constant AWD - FWD + feed some power to the rear wheels. ATTESSA is an intelligent AWD - RWD, and feeds power to the front when necessary.

ATM, your rears have a smaller rolling diameter than the fronts - this will cause havoc with ATTESSA because it will think the rears are slipping. And to keep the speedo correct, you should be running a 45 profile on the rears. That will actually correct any potential problems with ATTESSA.

If you run the same width and profile on staggered rims, you will still have problems because the fronts will "puff up" and run a higher effective profile and larger rolling diameter.

The added advantage of running the same size rims / tyres all round is that you can swap them F<>R to even out tyre wear.

If you insist on running staggered rims, please do not come back bleating about problems with the ATTESSA system.

I'm not going to do anything to damage the car, I've never ran the wheels I've just picked them up and wanted to know the best way to approach it. What I'm asking is, is there any safe way to run these rims? If not I'll sell up and buy a set of same size rims.

As long as the tyre circumference is the same, ATTESSA should be happy because it reads is wheel rotation speed. So you could run a lower profile at the rear to bring the circumference back to the standard size. However, given that GTRs are very nose heavy and understeer, putting smaller tyres on the front makes no sense if you're concerned with how the car will perform.

You could go to all the expense in the end and find that power is still going to the front when it shouldn't or you might be lucky and it works out for you. I've seen people here complain when they tried running identical rims front and back (stockies for example), but different tyre brands front and back only to find power (even a slight ammount) going to the front wheels fulltime. ATTESSA just wasn't designed or meant to run full time.

You clearly haven't understood what has been said.

If you run the same size (width / profile) tyres on staggered rims (regardless of the rim diameter) the "effective" profile will be different between the wider and narrower pairs of rims. The narrow rims will cause the tyre to "puff up", the wider rims will cause the tyres to be slightly "stretched". And the rolling diameters will be different (rear < front). In this configuration, you are at great risk of having problems with the ATTESSA system being confused by the imbalance in rolling diameters.

We strongly recommend NOT running staggered rims on any AWD Nissans. If you insist on doing so, do not complain when ATTESSA goes haywire.

Edited by blind_elk

You clearly haven't understood what has been said.

If you run the same size (width / profile) tyres on staggered rims (regardless of the rim diameter) the "effective" profile will be different between the wider and narrower pairs of rims. The narrow rims will cause the tyre to "puff up", the wider rims will cause the tyres to be slightly "stretched". And the rolling diameters will be different (rear < front). In this configuration, you are at great risk of having problems with the ATTESSA system being confused by the imbalance in rolling diameters.

We strongly recommend NOT running staggered rims on any AWD Nissans. If you insist on doing so, do not complain when ATTESSA goes haywire.

I doubt the 'puff' of the small stretch would amount to much, front and rear tyres wear unevenly and I have heard nothing of attessa issues caused by such a small difference, that said, I may have issues in the future, but it all runs fine for now. Shibura, try and get a set of rims with no step, better to be safe than sorry mate.

Edited by ima_slap_joO

I doubt the 'puff' of the small stretch would amount to much, front and rear tyres wear unevenly and I have heard nothing of attessa issues caused by such a small difference, that said, I may have issues in the future, but it all runs fine for now. Shibura, try and get a set of rims with no step, better to be safe than sorry mate.

Well, here is my example. 17x8.5 rims all round, same brand. Newish tyres on front but rears were shagged so put new ones on and threw them on the front. All 235/45/17's, just two differnt brands front / back. Attessa surging at highway speeds, torque gauge pulsing when cruising along, felt it through seat of pants. And before you start, there was nothing wrong with the system, it was caused by the tyres.

question has been asked a brazzilion times also read thread disregaurd information that has been provided in short do whatever you want YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

As long as you get the rolling dia the same who gives a fook. Throw some 20mm spacers on all 4 and it wont look so bad..

Advice coming from someone who owns a R32 GTS-T, the expert on the ATTESSA system.