• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

bens180

Rb25Det Neo Throttle Body Change

hi guys, im wanting to do away with the standard TB on my neo.

mostly because of the ugly twin throttle setup.

anyway i have been bouncing ideas between myself and a friend, he suggests using a r33 throttle body instead.

has anyone done this with success? any info wuld be great as i HAVE tried the search function but cannot find anything helpful.

thanks again

Depends if u have an aftermarket ecu that isnt going to go haywire when u take it off

do what I did ( I have a PFC) Fit a r33 throttle body. remove R33 TPS sensor, fit your old R34 TPS sensor. To keep the ecu happy and remove the lights off the dash get your 2nd R34 TPS sensor for the traction control. Remove the little spring that moves the tab. Then read the sensor voltage through the PFC and move the tab uptill you see the default voltage where the traction control is off and super glue the tab in position.

Some call me agricultural but hey it works.

Yeh it's a fair amount of hassle to ditch the traction control in the 34's, unless you've got something like a ViPEC/Link etc. Can be done, but I wouldn't bother unless you really needed to, ie. going forward facing plenum. Deleting it for the sake of deleting it is just begging for problems and trust me... They aint worth it.

Urtwhistle, how does that go with the traction control motor wanting to do it's self-diagnostic sweep on start-up?

Edited by Hanaldo

Unless you are chasing more than 220rwkW, it's just a case of doing the mechanical swaps mentioned above, then unchecking a couple of DTC check boxes in Nistune to stop it raising the check engine light. Trivial.

if you are chasing more power, you will eventually reach the point where a Nistuned ECU will have a spastic attack (it's some bizarre self-protection thing built into the Nissan ECU that does a big injector cut when you get too much power and no TCS stuff working - bloody stupid if you ask me). The solution then is either a Stagea image in the Nistuned ECU or just going to another ECU. I'm not convinced that Stagea images are quite as good as R34 images. The auto transmission based Stagea image I had in mine for a few weeks certainly drove differently to the R34 manual image.

Hanaldo is negative because he had a horror experience. But it is perfectly do-able.

Yeah but I agree with what Hanaldo said in regards to cost and hassle etc for no gain? They aren't pretty, but a 33 one isn't going to be any prettier really... Just my opinion though... If traction control is annoying just run a reverse circuit so it's off on startup :)

If I get a R34 ecu, throw my Stagea ecu away and re- connect my Nistune board to my new R34 ecu, will I need to tweak the tune, and will there be any problems? Traction control lights up etc? I drove with an untuned manual R34 ecu for a week and honestly couldnt feel any difference between the stagea one, but im only around 200 rwkw

Appreciate the responses.

I have no ecu just yet but im leaning towards an after market unit, probly haltec, what if i used an after market throttle body? Are they usable with the r34 tps?

Some are, some aren't, depends what you get. My Plazmaman one for example works perfectly with the stock tps.