SAU Community

4" Pod Filter

So I need a filter to put on the end of my 4" intake pipe. I like the apexi ones, but I dont think they come in 4"

I looked at the K&N ones but would rather a dry filter instead of oiled.

Any other decent brands that do one in 4" ?

Do you run an air flow meter? If you do dont use an oiled filter.. If you dont, consider an oiled unifilter foam large pod thing. I do. Just takes alot of space

Simota do a 4inch Pod filter. Dry type. Using it on my R33 with GT30. Good and not too expensive.

EngineBayRadiator.png

Personally would never use a foam filter on my cars. Plus i feel that any filter that needs oil to work properly doesnt have the greatest filter element to begin with.

(LOL! Two engine bay spam pics in 5 mins!)

Edited by gotRICE?

Lol! Im bored.. Just moved to Perth and looking for work. So have nothing to do but watch the awesome Skylines roll past my place and spam SAU with hopefully, some good information :P

There are some FINE examples in this area!!

Personally would never use a foam filter on my cars. Plus i feel that any filter that needs oil to work properly doesnt have the greatest filter element to begin with.

Why do you run a foam filter in bikes that race in bull dust?

Why do they run foam filter in alot of off road buggies and 4x4s?

They are the best filtration vs flow out.

In saying this there is ALOT to do with the quality of oil used.

Some very very high quality paper filters can stop smaller particulate dust. a pod you can literally see through is as good as fly screen.

cue someones rant opposing...

Simota do a 4inch Pod filter. Dry type. Using it on my R33 with GT30. Good and not too expensive.

EngineBayRadiator.png

(LOL! Two engine bay spam pics in 5 mins!)

nice engine bay, looks simple and effective without any excess try hard additions :yes:

Im not going to rant. I only stated my opinion :)

Everyone to their own on the filter subject. I feel that each person needs to make up their own mind. I base mine back to the old Filter test. The foam jobbies were the worst of the bunch for filtration, but made good power.

Edit: Cheers silverS2. Never been much of a showpony, just like it clean and simple. Never got around to stripping the blue cam covers. Wanted a gunmetal anodised look. Cars living under a cover back in Wellington now :(

Edited by gotRICE?

I didnt mean you were going to rant, usually someone does but lol. And If your reffering to the hks mushroom type pods yes they are as useful as tits on a bull.

I have a unifilter oiled foam gizmo, wire cage inside, and its a cylinder about 140mm round and 160 long, i figure more surface area is better, each to their own but. my 10c :-)

I run 4inch drift filter too.... Cheap and are actually rated to be in front of a turbo (I read that somewhere so could be BS)

My POS finally ran this arvo so technically I've run one of these :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtja61s77kvub09/Video%2019-06-12%201%2008%2018%20PM.mov

ive always been a bit wary of oiled air filters on airflow metered cars, if they are over oiled then it can cause problems, fully agree with using oiled air filters on 4WDs and off road bikes as the oil catches the fine dust. . . .but for road use, not needed

This was a test carried out by zoom magazine a few years back! Was on their project cyborg fwd drag car, test was carried out on a dyno dynamics dyno

Standard - 132.7 KW

Pipercross - 132.8 - $399

BMC carbon - 132.9 - $649

Drift Stainless - 133.3 - $100

Driftbitz Stainless - 133.7 - $66

K&N - 133.9 - $110

BMC F1 - 134.1 - $160

SAAS - 134.6 - $30

Driftbitz carbon - 134.6 - $33

JR - 134.9 - $105

HKS superflow - 134.9 - $195

NO FILTER - 135.1 - $ummm FREE!!!

Apexi - 135.3 - $120 (but they used one with the Air Fuel Meter bracket attached instead of just the filter which they suspect lowered the reading though only slightly)

Trust Arinx -135.9 - $155