SAU Community

Rd28 Development

HOT_R33

Hey guys,

I'd just like to get a little feedback about a project that I and a few colleagues are taking part in.

Basically it's about creating an option for RB26 projects when it comes to high HP single or even twin turbo applications. Instead of boring the original RB26 block to accommodate 2.7, 2.8, 3.0 or even 3.15L stroker kits and potentially weakening the block, we thought a different block all together might be in order.

The project is a cast iron Nissan RD28 diesel block which just so happens to line up quite nicely with an RB26 head after only a little modification. Thus making an instant 2.8L block without sacrificing cylinder wall thickness i.e. block strength.

As you might be able to see from the photos, the oil gallery wall thickness and the cylinder wall thickness or almost exactly the same with plenty of 'meat on the bone' for larger capacity i.e. 3.2L with the appropriate stroker kit.

In short, this means a very strong cast iron block with no need to fill in some of the oil galleries like you would on an RB26 in order to insure block reliability. This means more cooling/lube for the internals by keeping the all the galleries open,

This block has been line boarded and has a custom Spool mains + plate. As you can see, the setup can obviously handle quite high HP applications and with the appropriate counter-balancing; see the better part of 10000rpm all day if needed.

Its a viable option for anyone considering a higher capacity rebuild with very little boring required if at all.

Certainly poses a better solution to dusting off an old RB30E and hoping for the best lol.

Anyway, I'll let the photos do the talking....

Please PM me any feedback or questions you may have guys and I'll answer them as best I can.

Cheers and enjoy.

post-16592-0-59572100-1341737939_thumb.jpg

post-16592-0-87028300-1341738166_thumb.jpg

post-16592-0-41051300-1341738203_thumb.jpg

post-16592-0-47710800-1341738246_thumb.jpg

post-16592-0-43161500-1341738290_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yes, I do apologize for that, I've seen a few too many split on the dyno so I'm a little dirty with regards to them. Each to there own I know and that was just my take on it. Not aiming to offend.

Hardly think your "dusting off an old RB30E and hoping for the best" comment is warranted.

Been done multiple times before, there's even references in the RB30 section to people doing it. There was even some reasoning as to why the RB30 was a better choice but I can't remember them because even at 3.2L... Not enough displacement...

Been done multiple times before, there's even references in the RB30 section to people doing it. There was even some reasoning as to why the RB30 was a better choice but I can't remember them because even at 3.2L... Not enough displacement...

Remember reading this as well.

What's the difference in the height of the block? I'd love some extra displacement, but don't have the room for the 30mm or so than an RB30 would add.

This could be a cheaper option than over $5k for the Spool RB28 kit, or $8k for the Tomei kit!

I'll get back to you about that one.

What's the difference in the height of the block? I'd love some extra displacement, but don't have the room for the 30mm or so than an RB30 would add.

This could be a cheaper option than over $5k for the Spool RB28 kit, or $8k for the Tomei kit!

Yes there is a build in the works but this one in particular uses a 2.8L Nissan Diesel block with the intention to use a 3.2L stroker kit.

If it generates enough interest I'll make a build thread in the appropriate section.

don't expect to get away with anything like this for under 5K

First up, you're going to want to rebuild it anyway, then changes in inlet piping, exhaust, radiator etc etc,

Add on top a retune... its going to be exxy...

Also 40kg heavier is the mention of it over an rb30.

I'll pass for a street car... much better engine choices out there for cheap displacement in a skyline

Yeah, this was really meant to be a solution to block degradation post stroker enhancements to achieve a 3L+ displacement.

More designed for people looking at the 800HP+ area. I think a street car application would be pushing the limits of legality and practicality.

Not unachievable though.....just over kill for street use. The cost is a turn off at the moment but I believe that will change with time, although if your looking for cheap power, the last place you would look is a GTR build. That has at least remained constant over the years.

don't expect to get away with anything like this for under 5K

First up, you're going to want to rebuild it anyway, then changes in inlet piping, exhaust, radiator etc etc,

Add on top a retune... its going to be exxy...

Also 40kg heavier is the mention of it over an rb30.

I'll pass for a street car... much better engine choices out there for cheap displacement in a skyline

It has probably been mentioned but I easily miss stuff so dumb question time

What head do these blocks take? The 26 or can you use a 25 neo head?

I did warn you all it was a dumb question