SAU Community

Autosport Time Attack - Round 2, 1St October 2012

TPG

wu3w4i.jpg

Please find attached Autosport Time Attack Round 2 2012

Held under CAMS Club Permit No. TBA

Please send your 2012 Autosport Time Attack Round 2 Entry Form (with Payment) to:

Mitsubishi GSR/EVO Club

PO Box 10303

ADELAIDE SA 5000

Or

Fax 0882324446

Or

[email protected]

Direct Deposit Payment:

Mitsubishi GSR/EVO Club Inc

BSB: 085443

Acc#: 549085646 (NAB)

CASH PAYMENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED

Please note: Entry Form + Supp Regs available soon.

Round 1 had a great showing from the Nissan camp with Skylines taking out the honors in Open and Street Class........

I hope to see all competitors return for Round 2 and new faces are always welcome!

If you need any extra information or have some questions, PM me or head over the the MGEC website.

You mean I don't get to go up against your skyline again?

Usually in Street Class interior trim removal is limited to ONLY the rear seat and for the use/install of bolt in safety equipment- ie Harness, 1/2 cage. Carpets + all standard trim, seats, dash etc must remain.

Last I recall you had some issues putting power to the ground with the tyres you were running.

Drop back to street tyres and HOLD ON!!!!

Edited by TPG

Last I recall you had some issues putting power to the ground with the tyres you were running.

Drop back to street tyres and HOLD ON!!!!

hahhahaah. should be good :) front cage should be in soon then we're nearly good to go hehehe :ninja:

See how the skyline is at that point... just alot of travel for work all coming up around the same few months meaning may not have much chance to work on the 32 (i.e. gearbox) before the track day...but if in Adelaide I'll be there! One car or another....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time to get your entries in guys!

GTR, S14 - excellent.

I hope those who entered Round 1 can get back out there.

Also welcome new faces - it is a good friendly environment. You get more track time than you may think and we cater for street cars / 1st timers.

PM for more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

I know you guys have your track day on the 15th Oct.

What better way then to get your eye in or try out some suspension changes.

The Skylines put in a great show for Round 1 - pressures on to stay at the pointy end of the field!

Come ~4:30PM October 1st there will be a total of $2300 worth of cash + prizes going out to the competitors (and their machines) who excell in their class and can step up in the Top 10 Shootout.

Tuner House Prize - I know there is a lot of rivalry between Tuners fan base so get out there and represent your Tuner

Shoot-out and Class prizes!

Events can't be held without two things - YOU! So if you're thinking about enterting DO IT. Helpful bunch of people will make sure you're ready on the day and you will have blast

Secondly - Sponsors, Autosport have generously supported time attack and if you need fire ext, helmet, gloves, boots anything - make them your first stop.

~48hrs to get your Time Attack Entries in.

MGEC are waiving the late fee for entries between now and closing time, keeps the costs down for entrants.

Worried about track time? At this stage you'll get heaps!

Worried about your brakes? Take a cool-down cruise through the padock before re-joining for your hot lap.

Worried about your time? Everyone is out there to set their PB's and come Shoot-out, who knows who'll take the honours!

• 2 weeks later...
Autosport Time Attack Round 2 - PROVISIONAL RESULTS

1:13.562 - Car #30 - Brad Kirkwood - Mitsubishi Evo VI - OPEN CLASS

1:14.419 - Car #4 - Mark Jantke - Nissan Skyline R32 GTR - OPEN CLASS

1:16.006- Car #7 - Andrew Tessari - Mazda RX-7 - CLUB CLASS

1:16.056 - Car #5 - Shane Carroll - Mitsubishi Evo VI - CLUB CLASS

1:19.692 - Car #6 - Michael Lewis - Honda Civic- CLUB CLASS

1:19.750- Car #11 - Mark Lewis - Honda Integra - CLUB CLASS

1:21.337 - Car #227 - Anthony Gray - Mitsubishi Evo VII - STREET CLASS

1:24.463 - Car #111 - Glen Spargo - Mitsubishi Evo IX - STREET CLASS

1:25.745 - Car #193 - Kathleen McCormick - Mitsubishi Evo IX - STREET CLASS

1:27.724 - Car #43 - Bill Zissopoulos- Mitsubishi Ralliart Sportback - STREET CLASS

DNS - Car #666 - Paul Staniforth - Mitsubishi Evo VIII MR - CLUB CLASS

DNS - Car #1 - Steve Knight - Mitsubishi Evo VI - OPEN CLASS

DNS - Car #51 - Steve Lightfoot - Clubman - OPEN CLASS

DNS - Car #93 - Craig Van Diemen - Mitsubishi Evo VIII MR - CLUB CLASS

Autosport Time Attack Round 2 Class Winners

Open Class 1:13.562 - Car #30 - Brad Kirkwood - Mitsubishi Evo VI $150 Autosport Direct Gift Voucher

Club Class 1:16.006- Car #7 - Andrew Tessari - Mazda RX-7 $150 Autosport Direct Gift Voucher

Street Class 1:21.337 - Car #227 - Anthony Gray - Mitsubishi Evo VII - STREET CLASS $100 Autosport Direct Gift Voucher

Autosport Time Attack Round 2 - Top 10 Shootout

"The fastest time recorded by each "Top Ten" competitor through normal competition during the day will be used in conjunction with their "Top Ten" shoot out time to determine improvement of lap times as a percentage. A competitor scoring more than 100% indicates that the competitor recorded a faster time in the "Top Ten Shoot out" than during normal competition, less than 100% indicates a slower time."

99.69% Mark Jantke

98.36% Brad Kirkwood

84.48% Glen Spargo

Autosport Time Attack Round 1 Top 10 Shootout Winner

99.69% - Mark Jantke - Nissan Skyline R32 GTR $250 Cash Prize

Full Results and Session Breakdowns available soon.

Regards,

MGEC Committee

Competitors, Stewards, Volunteers, Sponsors, Spectators, Committee;

Thank you to you all once again for another great round of the Autosport Time Attack. There has been a lot of discussion and feedback regarding the lack of numbers for the 2012 series. The MGEC Committee is appreciative of this and will be taking it all onboard. We will be covering this more in the coming weeks.<br />

Right now though, the results for Time Attack Round 2 are up here: <http://www.gsr-evo-c...p?f=137&t=14507

Congratulations to:

Brad Kirkwood for not only smashing his PB - a great achievement in itself - but planting himself in 1st Place in Open Class.

Andrew Tessari for taking out top honours in Club Class, in what was the closest margin of all 3 Classes. That makes it back to back wins in Club Class for Andrew in 2012.

Anthony Gray who consistently improved throughout the day, fending off charges by what probably seemed like half the MGEC Committee and claimed the Street Class win.

All three winners recieved vouchers kindly donated by the major sponsor for Time Attack 2012 - Autosport. I doubt they'll have a problem finding something they need/want - Autosport have a great range of Motorsport items.

Again well done to the Class Winners, however there was more to see on the day. The final Shootout gave competitors once last final lap to lay down a PB. Results were calculated by the % improvement on competitors fastest lap during the normal competition. Some people might think that this format is prone to 'sand bagging' your times.....once the red mist decends the only thing on everyones mind is making that one lap count!

It came down to a great 2 person shootout between Open Class competitors Brad Kirkwood and Mark Jantke. After a lot of track time no new PB's were set during the Shootout, but the final times were very quick and very close. Brad layed down a time of 1:14.792, or in other words 98.36% of his time during normal competition.....but that wasn't enough to hold off Mark Jantke whose shootout time of 1:14.652 (99.69% of his best time of the day) secured him the Shootout Win and $250 Cash Prize.

With a small field, there was still plenty to see:

- Brad's PB

- Mark's debut of the wiiide GTR

- Such a close margin between Andrew Tessari and Shane Carroll in Club Class

- a good showing of GSR / EVO Club committee in Street Class

Unfortunately there was a fair rate of attrition this round with a few cars succumbing to mechanical stress or electrical issues. The two Honda's of Mark and Michael Lewis were having a great battle in Club Class, setting times within 0.1 of a second of each other. The battle was sure to continue however both cars were sadly forced to retire. Bucking the trend of 'turbo 4WD' cars, the two Honda's take different routes to making power, one N/A the other Turbo. However both follow a simple approach - minimum weight, maximum grip. All this leads to huge excitement out on the track, in particular the Blue Civic of Michael Lewis was one of the most talked about cars after Round 1. This and efforts in Round 2 earned Michael the special trophy of "Crowd Pleaser".

Huge thanks to the volunteers and stewards for the day, everyones attitude and passion for Motorsport helps events like this go off without a hitch. A special thanks to MGEC Members Andy and Lucas for their first-time roles as flaggies. If you're sick of spectating from the 'hill or the stands, ask these guys what it was like to be that close to the action and part of the event. I know everyone wants to be on the track, but without the volunteers the events simple can't run.

That is probably enough for now, once more MGEC really does appreciate everyones support for Time Attack in 2012.

Stay tuned for the 2012 Series Results and stay tuned for 2013!

DSCF3710.jpg

DSCF3712.jpg

DSCF3714.jpg

DSCF3716.jpg

DSCF3719.jpg

DSCF3721.jpg

DSCF3730.jpg

580275_10151297469971719_35453634_n.jpg

DSCF3731.jpg

DSCF3735.jpg

DSCF3715.jpg

36539_10151297469571719_1652209490_n.jpg

206307_10151297472436719_37543382_n.jpg

Edited by TPG

The 2012 Autosport Time Attack had a troubled start to the year, but come 11th June competitors were all lined up ready to hit the track. Competitor Mark Jantke ('jenkies' on the forum) a Time Attack newcomer but Skylines Australia regular was itching to put his Nissan R32 GTR to the test. The GTR certainly looked the part and with a estimated time around the 1:15's it was straight to Open Class. "Is it still possible to squeeze into club?? as I doubt ill be sub 1.15.00." said Mark - perhaps a moment of doubt? perhaps we knew what it was capable of!

398878_3851212752361_1542996310_n.jpg

534209_10150823848406433_1944412282_n.jpg

Once on the track it was clear it had the power to go fast and earn its spot in Open Class. Taming the power coming out of corners and managing some minor overheating issues was the order of the day for Mark. Nearing sundown, all cars earning a well earned rest, the presentations began. It was no surprise, the GTR was over a second quicker than the nearest competitor and Mark took out 1st Place in Open Class with a time of 1:14.562.

550923_3554294368303_2114412880_n.jpg

Mark's attitude on and off the track, his GTR and respect for other cars/drivers made him a great asset to Time attack - one the GSR / EVO Club hoped to return for Round 2.......if only we knew.....

....followed on Facebook by no doubt anyone remotely interested in cars, Mark's transformation of the GTR was nothing short of amazing. Nothing was overlooked as the car that took out Open Class was rebuilt into something with a clear goal. Stich-welding, wide body panels, titanium side pipes, more power - everything was adding up to this GTR being re-born as a serious Time Attack weapon. Although some times it was barely recognisable...

486506_10150989305586433_1382580735_n.jpg

The second round of the 2012 Autosport Time Attack got off to a great start with near perfect weather. As the cars began to roll in, eyes were definately on the GTR. As with every build time is always a factor and many long nights were had to get the car to Time Attack. Once the cars began to circulate the shakedown of the GTR showed some minor issues and again getting that power to the ground was going to be the key for a quick lap. During the normal competition the GTR managed a time of 1:14.419 which was good enough to take out 2nd Place in Open Class (and 2nd outright). In a new build this is an excellent effort and I know everyone is confident with further tweaks this car will get quicker and quicker.

DSCF3731.jpg

As usual for Time Attack at the end of the day there is a Shoot-Out where competitors get 1 last lap to try and put down a PB. The Winner is based on % improvement during normal competition and in Round 2 competition was a Blue Evo VI. The Shoot-out came down to Brad Kirkwoods Evo VI and Mark's GTR. The evo had already claimed top honours in Open Class, so Mark was keen to peg one back for Nissan. Brad layed down a time of 1:14.792, or in other words 98.36% of his time during normal competition.....but that wasn't enough to hold off Mark Jantke whose shootout time of 1:14.652 (99.69% of his best time of the day) secured him the Shootout Win and $250 Cash Prize.

DSCF3715.jpg

This concluded the 2012 Autosport Time Attack and it was time to award the Series prizes. Mark's 1st Place in Round 1 and 2nd Place in Round 2 earned him the outright Series win in Open Class. Mark was presented with the Open Class Trophy and a $150 Voucher for Autosport. Icing on the cake for Mark and definately reward and recognition for all his hard work.

564419_3952082714566_1558875742_n.jpg

302157_10151047794481433_1496920244_n.jpg

Interview with Open Class Series Winner - Mark Jantke

Hi Mark congratulations on taking out the Series win in Open Class at the 2012 Autosport Time Attack.

Thanks alot, cheers to Mitsubishi GSR/EVO Club for making the event happen.

What was it like competing in the Autosport Time Attack Series?

Good fun, I didn't break anything and it gave me a completion deadline to get the car ready for.

How did you get involved in the Autosport Time Attack Series?

I think originally on Skylines Australia forum, but I'd heard of it yonks ago from a few mates.

What interests in the discipline of Time Attack over other motorsport events like drift or motorkhana?

One thing I really enjoy about Time Attack is that you're not putting your car under strain for long periods of time and you can choose to get heaps of track time or minimal if your trying to conserve things. Plus it's fun to race against yourself and others for those crucial gains on the clock!

Tell us more about your current ride & future plans for it.

Current ride is a labour of love and when I'm not working on it I'm working hard on the tools to make money so I can buy better upgrades, so I can work on it... It is a vicious cycle.

Anyone you'd like to give a shout-out too? Workshop for car prep? Mates putting in long nights to get the cars ready? Family putting up with your obsession?

Definitely a shout out to all my mates for putting up with me gone for the last 3 months lol. And special thanks to Simon and the boys at Morpowa and Steve and the boys at Street and Custom Paintworks.

Thanks for your time today and all the best for 2013!

My pleasure, cheers.

Edited by TPG

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew Tessari is no new-comer to Mallala nor Time Attack. Previously entered in Time Attack rounds in 2009 and 2011 and often seen at various track days at Mallala, Andrew certainly knows how to extract the most from his Mazda RX-7. October 2009's Time Attack event proved to be a pivotal time for the Mazda's development after an unfortunate engine failure trying to beat the 1:20 mark. This sparked the change from street car to race car.....

Fast forward to 3rd of October 2011 and the final round of the Time Attack series saw Andrew lay down a time of 1:20.910.....the 1:20 barrier still eluded Andrew at Time Attack. What would 2012 hold?

391394_10151273093577067_394207925_n.jpg

11th of June 2012 brought fantastic conditions @ Mallala for Round 1 of the Autosport Time Attack Series. As competitors rolled in it was clear everyone was keen to get on the track - proving the Time Attack format was still alive and well. Club Class is usually the largest field in Time Attack, the use of Semi-Slicks is mandatory but freedom in other regulations means you never know what you're up against. Andrew's times throughout the day had put him at the pointy end of Club Class, however the competition was no push over.

Mike Willis in his prepped Evo 9 was trading fastest lap times throughout the day with Andrew - it was the competition to watch as RWD Rotary battled AWD Turbo. At the end of the day Andrew's fastest lap of the day (smashing the 1:20 barrier that plagued him at Time Attacks) was a blistering 1:15.680 - was it enough? Edging out the Evo 9 of Mike Willis by a mere 0.041 of a second Andrew Tessari took out the Club Class win at Round 1 of the Autosport Time Attack Series.

307009_10151176787622067_1326159325_n.jpg

Andrew's time was also 2nd fastest outright on the day and hence easily qualified him for the Top 10 Shootout. The Winner here is based on % improvement on lap time in the shoout vs those during normal competition. Missing out on top honours Andrew put down a very respectable lap time that netted him a 99.61% result - proving the built RX-7 has both the speed and the reliability.

198256_3851212992367_1427023541_n.jpg

Anther round of Time Attack, another perfect day at Mallala. Round 2 of the Autosport Time Attack got started early on the 1st of October 2012 and it was all action. The practise session alone had a high rate of attrition and condensed the field down, yielding plenty of track time for competitors. Again Club Class had the highest # of entrants and again Andrew had to contend with another close battle. This time it came from Shane Carroll and his race-prepped Evo 6.

485761_10151432763432067_843873722_n.jpg

The RX-7 was circulating well, countering the lap times of the charging Evo. However not immune from the high rate of mechanical problems the RX-7 was garaged with a clutch issue - meaning the final time set by Andrew was a 1:16.006. In another nail-bitting finish Andrew claimed 1st Place in Club Class of Round 2 by 0.05 of a second.

Andrew's 'cool under pressure' demeanor saw him take out Club Class wins in both rounds of the Autosport Time Attack by the narrowest of margins. This consistency and ability to rise to a challenge earned him the outright Series win in Club Class. Andrew was presented with the Club Class Trophy and a $150 Voucher for Autosport. The Mitsubishi GSR/EVO Club congratulate Andrew on the series win and hope to see him return for 2013 - sub 1:15's and Open Class await!

249595_10151441127467067_2039854649_n.jpg

304949_10151429645882067_1273239511_n.jpg

Interview with Club Class Series Winner - Andrew Tessari

Hi Andrew congratulations on taking out the Series win in Club Class at the 2012 Autosport Time Attack.

Thank you, it is great feeling to be crowned 2012 Autosport Time Attack Club Class Champion.

What was it like competing in the Autosport Time Attack Series?

Great, it's a good series to be involved in as it has a nice friendly atmosphere with some real close racing - I won both rounds by less than .1 sec!

How did you get involved in the Autosport Time Attack Series?

I had done a few regularities but I decided to enter the final round of 2009 Time Attack series as I had wanted to try and conquer the 1:20 barrier. Unfortunately I suffered a rather catastrophic engine failure during this event so decision was made to turn my street car into a race car. 2012 was really my first serious attempt at the Autosport Time Attack Series with the car since its rebuild. There is still a fair bit of development to do on the car so to get a win in both rounds was quite a surprise.

What interests in the discipline of Time Attack over other motorsport events like drift or motorkhana?

I like the challenge of trying to beat the clock and always going for your PB. I guess I am a bit old school in my racing love as I would rather have a bench mark time to aim for rather than relying on whether some guy on the hill thinks I did good skid or not.

Did you attend WTAC 2012 as either spectator or entrant?

Yeah I was there cheering on my mate Brad and all the other other guys who entered from ozrx7.com, I would love to enter one year but I think it is getting a bit too professional for me now!!! I did scope a lot of aero ideas! WTAC really has stepped up the Time Attack image in Australia with some rather serious machines being built for this event, its also fantastic to be able to see top Japanese workshop teams up close and in the flesh.

Tell us more about your current ride & future plans for it.

It's a 1986 series 4 RX7 (FC) It has a fully prepped race extend port 13B running a GT35R turbo on E85. I have tried to use the best parts where I can but it is still a fairly budget conscious build. I am pretty happy with the power level at moment so future plans include a better aero package to give me a bit more confidence in high speed sections of the track and some further weight reduction and a brake upgrade.

Anyone you'd like to give a shout-out too? Workshop for car prep? Mates putting in long nights to get the cars ready? Family putting up with your obsession?

I would like to thank Jason @ REVS for building my motor and helping me out with parts and advice over the years, Marky @ Exhaust Tech for all the exhaust work and Clint @ Faustune for the tune. Everyone knows it takes a lot of effort and time to build a car so huge thanks go out to mates Brad and Botcho for all their help in ripping my car apart and putting it back together and to Dan for all the welding he has done on my car and for being my pit crew for the 2012 season. Would also like to thank my wife for having to put up with the Mazda!!

Thanks for your time today and all the best for 2013!

No worries it has been a pleasure, hopefully next year I might be able to step up and give Mark Jantke a bit of competition!!