SAU Community

Sticking Hand Brake / Light?

Troppo

I have a S1 Stagea RS4 auto with the under dash hand brake + release handle, I've just had the rear brake pads replaced and last night I noticed the (!) symbol flickering on & off whilst driving.

Is there a sensor for this light? Or do I just need to find the hand brake cable and apply some grease?

Any thoughts?

actually, it is more likely to be low brake fluid - the handbrake light is also used for that.

Have a look at the fluid level in the large resoviour in the engine bay near the driver's a pillar. If it is low you either have a fluid leak (bad) or your pads and discs are low and ready for replacement

Aren't there two resivours and if so where are they, i know the one near the break booster but someone was talking about one below there or something. I think i have this same problem or at least i hope it's this simple!!!???

Thanks for the responses, I checked the brake fluid level & it's close to the max mark. So low discs could be it, as I know the fronts will need doing too!

sorry I wasn't very clear - the warning light is either handbrake on or low brake fluid, and low brake fluid only happens from a leak or sometimes pads worn.

If you have plenty of fluid in the master cylinder, it must be the handbrake switch not releasing properly.

sorry I wasn't very clear - the warning light is either handbrake on or low brake fluid, and low brake fluid only happens from a leak or sometimes pads worn.

If you have plenty of fluid in the master cylinder, it must be the handbrake switch not releasing properly.

Thanks Duncan, I'll have a look to see what I can do!?

• 1 month later...

Has anybody located the switch I'm referring too?

I have a S1 Stagea RS4 auto with the under dash hand brake + release handle, I've just had the rear brake pads replaced and last night I noticed the (!) symbol flickering on & off whilst driving.

Is there a sensor for this light? Or do I just need to find the hand brake cable and apply some grease?

Any thoughts?

The switch should be on the rearward side of the foot brake you use for parking. Its a peg type that extends out ward to form the earth for the circuit when you depress this lever.

Having rear pads replaced wont help your park brake position as the park brake is the internal hub type (Pretty sure). If you have noticed an improvement in your park brake its possible there has been an adjustment made to your cable under the dash rather than at the rear wheels.

Could be the switch has been knocked loose?

Try releasing the park brake then get your toe under the pedal and pull it back a bit.....

I still have the same problem. At first I had to put my foot under the pedal to make it release, then it stuck altogether.

I fixed it by disconnecting it. Maybe one day I will try again and also make the ABS light go OFF.

Which cable seizes? Is it the one from the dash to the splitter, or one of the wheel cables?

Generally, the inner sheath rusts and damages the plastic coating on the cable, which makes it jam. No amount of lube down the sheath will free them up.

I know it's pretty obvious, but if you can work out which cable it is; there are companies that can manufacture factory style, plastic coated inner wire replacement cables.

I'm sure Nissan replacement cables will be fairly pricey.

The rusty cable may be the answer I am looking for. The 25G came from a salty road area in Japan. While repairing the smash damage we found several patches of quite serious rust and had it all cut out and repaired. Soon as it is driveable this week will put it on the hoist and check it out.