SAU Community

Nissan V36 Intelligent Key Issues

Hi All,

My intelligent key on my v36 seems to be playing up

The central locking and key less start up is not working on both remote

I've replaced the batteries

One keys starts using the insert slot key area in the car and the other key is not working at all

Any other v36 owners experienced similar problem?

as far as I'm aware the car should start up as long as the key fob is inserted in the slot, regardless of the battery being there, I might test this out later.

can you still lock the car using the buttons on the key fob?

I had a similar issue where the lock button the driver side door & the keyless start stopped working but a battery change fixed it.

as far as I'm aware the car should start up as long as the key fob is inserted in the slot, regardless of the battery being there, I might test this out later.

can you still lock the car using the buttons on the key fob?

I had a similar issue where the lock button the driver side door & the keyless start stopped working but a battery change fixed it.

Its very odd as one key works with slots starts and nothing else and the other key is totally out of action. Buttons on both keys are not working.

Can anyone advice me what the problem could be?

Edited by MFC05

• 7 years later...

He's already done that but the impact from that last drop has likely busted his crystal, in my opinion.

If you take a look at the key's PCB, I've marked on it what my engineering brain tells me the components are likely to be.
image.thumb.png.91322710f4f17c8dc2963d951053f51a.png

The larger coil is definitely for powering the fob in the keyslot when the battery is out. The other two coils (within their thin black plastic enclosures), I suspect they're the antennas because of their orientation seemingly suitable for both horizontal and vertical polarisation, thereby working under any position relative to the vehicle's transponders.

The three coils should all be fairly robust, as they don't need to do any minute physical movements like the crystal does. Hence, they are well packed and rigid in their construction, internally.

The crystal oscillator is what I suspect has been buggered up. These little metal cans have a tiny sliver of quartz rock inside, lightly sandwiched or suspended between very fine plates or wires for the electrodes. A voltage is applied and removed constantly, the crystal responds to it until it quickly achieves resonance at the desired frequency and filters out the unwanted frequencies to give an accurate frequency needed by the IC to proportionally multiply (in this case x32) to achieve the carrier frequency of 314.85MHz that these things transmit at, and then transmit the relevant data from the IC out via the antennas.

In an impact, the frequency can be altered because of the internal stresses on the crystal, be it slight fracturing of the rock, etc. That could result in there being oscillation but at the wrong frequency. If the impact is hard enough, you can break the electrodes or the crystal completely, resulting in no RF activity altogether. Crystal oscillators are made reasonably rugged but they can only deal with so much impact before they say goodnight.

Of course, these are mass produced boards, so it could well be just a dud solder joint that was ready to fracture with enough mechanical coercion but failing a quick retouch of solder joints, I'm inclined to think that the crystal is the most likely culprit here.