SAU Community

Wheels Sticking Out Of Arches. Illegal?

@op

yours is not sticking out at all, popo wont see that

why did u get pull over for?

They are sticking out a tad, nothing noticeable unless you stand infront of the car, i was under the impression that any time of tyre stretch was illegal ie, if the rim was 'poking' out of the tyre, it was illegal.

Oh haha the cop chased me down because he saw my P plate and said that he had heard a blow off valve.

• Like 1

Hey guys!

Finally got my rims, which is the reason why i started this post!

The wheels sizes 30+ offset all around with 10.5 width rears and 9.5's at the front.

Tyre sizes are 255 35 at the rear and 225 35 at the front.

There is a little bit of poke, and the tyres are stretched pretty nicely.

To the people that said any type of poke is illegal, you're wrong, kid you not, got pulled over literally 10 seconds after installing these wheels, cops did not say anything.

If there anyone who is getting wheels on their gtt's or 25gts feel free to pm me for info cos i did a whole lot of research to get these sizes.

post-96513-0-35809600-1353067733_thumb.j

post-96513-0-60051900-1353067793_thumb.j

post-96513-0-56282700-1353067838_thumb.j

How is the paint on that car so devoid of orange peel? Has it been wet sanded and buffed back again?

Orange peel?

I still haven't done any body work on my 34 :( Still original condition as of when i imported it back in 2011

post-96513-0-35809600-1353067733_thumb.j

post-96513-0-60051900-1353067793_thumb.j

post-96513-0-56282700-1353067838_thumb.j

How is the paint on that car so devoid of orange peel? Has it been wet sanded and buffed back again?

• 2 months later...

Not everyone on this forum buys a skyline to make big power or do circuit racing guys.

I use my skyline for drift, I run -5deg camber in the front to allow running large amounts of castor when on full lock with modified knuckles and relocated steering rack. I run -0.2deg neg camber in the rear to get grip and even tread wear.

The "stanced" look everyone goes for comes from drift styled cars but actually have a function. the stance guys just take it too far and the car is never sideways Increasing the track of the vehicle is a good thing for drift.

Sure none of it is legal, but if you're going to spend all your time and money on making your skyline comply with all of the nitty gritty laws, you may aswell sell up and buy a camry or something.

Sure none of it is legal, but if you're going to spend all your time and money on making your skyline comply with all of the nitty gritty laws, you may aswell sell up and buy a camry or something.

actually the ADRs are not as bad as the legislation in some countries.... and i believe u can make your skyline comply with most if not all of the laws without sacrificing that much performance...

^^ agreed. the "I want to drive a sports car, so what if I have illegal mods" attitude is easily picked up by police and then they will go over your car with a fine toothed comb to teach you a lesson.

Like C4a0s says, it's not hard to make your car basically compliant. And if you have a compliant car and don't drive like a dickhead you won't get harrassed by the police. Pretty simple really. They're not going to pull you up on the last 1%, but if the car has its arse hanging out then you draw attention to yourself and if your attitude isn't much better then get ready for a trip to the pits.

Not everyone on this forum buys a skyline to make big power or do circuit racing guys.

I use my skyline for drift, I run -5deg camber in the front to allow running large amounts of castor when on full lock with modified knuckles and relocated steering rack. I run -0.2deg neg camber in the rear to get grip and even tread wear. 

The "stanced" look everyone goes for comes from drift styled cars but actually have a function. the stance guys just take it too far and the car is never sideways Increasing the track of the vehicle is a good thing for drift.

It would cost more money to make a skyline illegal than it would to legal, since it costs nothing to leave it stock. And there are plenty of mods that can be done that are legal.

My complaint with the stance crowd (which I've said before and it also applies to many drifters too) is that they mod their car that not only makes it illegal, but unsafe. Stupidly stiff springs do not make a car handle better, unless you drive on the smoothest of smooth roads. On a rough road they will handle worse than stock suspension by a long way. And there are plenty of rough roads around.

It would cost more money to make a skyline illegal than it would to legal, since it costs nothing to leave it stock. And there are plenty of mods that can be done that are legal.

My complaint with the stance crowd (which I've said before and it also applies to many drifters too) is that they mod their car that not only makes it illegal, but unsafe. Stupidly stiff springs do not make a car handle better, unless you drive on the smoothest of smooth roads. On a rough road they will handle worse than stock suspension by a long way. And there are plenty of rough roads around.

Agree with these things. A lot of people do buy sport cars and keep them stock or compliant. Its the silly and excessive things that draw attention as mentioned.

not that i am siding the cops or the govt but if u read the ADRs carefully...most were written with safety in mind and with a lot of details. if u want unreasonable, ridiculous laws that seem to only seek to fill the coffers of the govt...u should look at the laws of some police states/countries in the region near the equator...

they mod their car that not only makes it illegal, but unsafe

You guys don't get what I'm saying lol.

I don't understand how a full cage, brides and harnesses is making my car unsafe, and even with the new modplate laws, full cages are no longer allowed (QLD).

Having stiff suspension helps are car drift amazingly, hence the reason why most drifters solid mount their subframes, diffs and motor/box. Along with a larger rear sway bar and coilovers with high spring rates.

A drifter is not trying to get good lap times and improve grip. This is where I am saying you have to make a decision between being legal and mediocre, or having the car you actually want and it being illegal.

And lets face it, everyone likes to make their skyline unique/look nice. I am yet to find a skyline (GTR not included) that looks good at 100mm. with regards to poke/camber, it is near impossible fitting any good sized wheel in standard guards with -5deg camber on the front.

There are instances where a cage will increase the chances of injury (harder to get out of the car, for example). But that is all beside the point, and few people have cages these days.

But the point you are missing about people setting their car up for drift is that they are making their car less safe on the road. I've driven a 180sx with stupidly stiff suspension and I found it down right dangerous. Going round a bumpy corner slower than I normally would (and well below the speed limit) I was bounced onto the wrong side of the road. With stock suspension, I could go around the corner at almost double the speed. Every car I've driven around that corner handled it better than the 180sx did with the stiff coilovers in it. Which is why they only stayed in the car a few days before being removed. And that's where the difference between me and many others lies. I acknowledged the fact that it was unsafe (and not enjoyable to drive, since you had to drive it slowly everywhere just to be as in control as a granny in her camry going at normal speed) so I made the decision to change it. But many people with stiff suspension setups just seem to think that coilovers = better handling. So coilovers used in pro drifting must mean super handling, regardless what they feel when they actually drive the car on the road.

At the end of the day, if you want a drift car and are sick of police attention, build a track car. Most people know what the laws are before they mod their cars, so if they then mod their cars to be outside of the laws then they have no right to bitch about getting fined for their mods, like many do.

There are instances where a cage will increase the chances of injury (harder to get out of the car, for example). But that is all beside the point, and few people have cages these days.

But the point you are missing about people setting their car up for drift is that they are making their car less safe on the road. I've driven a 180sx with stupidly stiff suspension and I found it down right dangerous. Going round a bumpy corner slower than I normally would (and well below the speed limit) I was bounced onto the wrong side of the road. With stock suspension, I could go around the corner at almost double the speed. Every car I've driven around that corner handled it better than the 180sx did with the stiff coilovers in it. Which is why they only stayed in the car a few days before being removed. And that's where the difference between me and many others lies. I acknowledged the fact that it was unsafe (and not enjoyable to drive, since you had to drive it slowly everywhere just to be as in control as a granny in her camry going at normal speed) so I made the decision to change it. But many people with stiff suspension setups just seem to think that coilovers = better handling. So coilovers used in pro drifting must mean super handling, regardless what they feel when they actually drive the car on the road.

At the end of the day, if you want a drift car and are sick of police attention, build a track car. Most people know what the laws are before they mod their cars, so if they then mod their cars to be outside of the laws then they have no right to bitch about getting fined for their mods, like many do.

This should be a very important consideration when making any modifications to your car. Also the fact that now most workshops/sellers will ask you what the usage of the car is in relation to the item. As mentioned with coilovers, will it be for street or track. Very different applications.

Having stiff suspension helps are car drift amazingly, hence the reason why most drifters solid mount their subframes, diffs and motor/box. Along with a larger rear sway bar and coilovers with high spring rates.

A drifter is not trying to get good lap times and improve grip. This is where I am saying you have to make a decision between being legal and mediocre, or having the car you actually want and it being illegal.

i get what u're saying ... but certain things to make a car more driftable is actually dangerous...example, rear toe out makes the car more tail happy but u sure as hell cant drive it fast or as a daily. similarly, hard suspension, solid mounts make the car more responsive but what the rest are saying is that too hard suspension with no room for shock absorption will make ur car flip on a bumpy road where the car has no "time" to dampen the bounce before encountering the next. Even then, u can make it more driftable without going to the extreme...at the end of the day...it boils down to skill of drifter rite? ;)

100mm ride height can look nice, it all depends on the bodykit no? :)

Yeh i get what yous are all saying. And i 100% agree.

My skyline is my drift car only, i dont drive it daily for this reason and costs too much in fuel. However it is registered. Purely for the reason that I can drive it when I want to.

There is alot of defects that I could be pulled up on for and that are quite obvious, but I have built my car with the sole purpose of drifting it on and off the track. So yes, I agree that having a "drift" setup on the streets actually makes the car more difficult to drive and uncomfortable for daily duties, but if it is just to get you to a workshop/meet or mates place then I dont see the problem with taking it easy til you actually want to drive it how it was intended to.