SAU Community

Powerlifting

markos

great post Markos... it's kind of like golf, you against the course... yeah I like to play golf too lol

well I've been bitten by the bug... no more circuit stuff for a while, I'm going 5 x 5 for the next 6 weeks or so... was a little annoyed I didn't find the limit last Sun so I have some goals in mind... maybe a bit optimistic but hey you have to give it a go... I want a 200kg squat (+40kg), 130kg bench (+20kg) and 250kg deadlift (+60kg)

maybe I should make a build thread to keep me honest...

ps. is a narrow squat (oly style) a disadvantage? I'm not comfortable squatting wide

those gains in 6 weeks might be a little difficult but sounds like you left maybe 10-20kg total in the tank.

I don't know if I'd call it a disadvantage... it makes for stronger, larger quads.

A wider stance tends to use hamstrings and arse/hips alot more than narrow.

a narrow squatter uses quads as the major power.

so if you learn to squat wider, you use quads and hip drive making for a more POWERFUL lift. and probably heavier weight.

but like anything it takes some getting used to and expect to start with half the weight and struggle until all those supporting muscles catch up.

Also requires some flexibility in the inner thighs and so forth.

you'll find that your knees will probably cave in when coming up from a squat when squatting wide with a challenging wight for a while.

If you want to lift the most weight, then you'll probably want to use the best leverages you can.

sumo stance deadlift means the bar moves a lot less than conventional, but it is not easy to lift more weight... it becomes a hip exercise more so than legs and back.

Bench, arch or no arch, wide grip or closer...

lots of ways to lift more weight.. just depends what you are comfortable with.

If you want the opinion of someone who is injured more than they would like... Stick to what you are comfortable with and don't try chasing numbers by adjusting the way you do something cause someone else is.

Markos hasn't mentioned it but I will. He has put together a Progressive Program for strength training that many of us utilize. It would be worth your $20 (or possibly lower for an iPhone app if that is ready yet).

Nick, I'll be having another Novice comp in October, after we get back from Worlds in Slovakia

I'll post up a date on here when I decide

PTC Sydney, PTC Perth and PTC Brisbane are also having more

thanks for the feedback... those numbers are just a goal, don't think I'll achieve them in 6 weeks but I'll certainly give it a shot

sounds great Markos, I'd love another go with the good gear! That program could be really helpful, how do I go about it... email you?

Markos WTF have you done to me... I had a dream about squatting the other night... I have a heap of work to do but instead have been reading and daydreaming about lifting (who daydreams about lifting weights...seriously!?)... I have a persistant NEED to get into the gym... who would've thought this shit is addictive... you should probably put a warning on those newsletters lol

ps. my legs hate you

Markos WTF have you done to me... I had a dream about squatting the other night... I have a heap of work to do but instead have been reading and daydreaming about lifting (who daydreams about lifting weights...seriously!?)... I have a persistant NEED to get into the gym... who would've thought this shit is addictive... you should probably put a warning on those newsletters lol

ps. my legs hate you

I was a little bit this way when I discovered just how good it felt to squat 1.5x BW for repssssss

actually having a program has given me some much needed focus... I always liked just lifting but its awakened my competitive side... my competitive side is usually buried deep as he's a bit of a monster and doesn't play well with others... now he's awake and wants PB's... I must feed him

who daydreams about lifting weights...seriously!?

There is a whole community of us mate.

you'll end up there soon enough.

"one of us!! one of us!!"

Due to a re-occuring back injury I had been thinking of giving it up.

Got home today to find a certificate for my National Record.

by default really as there was no-one else as old as me in the same weight division... but still, seeing it has ignited fire again.

It was 4 months between injuries... I'm going to make a proper effort at sorting it out this time so lets see how long I can go before half throwing the towel in again.

hahaha glad I'm not the only weirdo then;)

back injuries are the worst, hard to train around... I guess as you get older you have to train smarter... I'm definitely not as indestructible as I once was and I can't get away with a eating crap anymore

that's the beauty of strength sports though... you might get slower as you age but you still can get stronger... as long as you can remain healthy

good luck with it, don't give up just try a different approach

Tolga dont sell yourself short on that record, you can only beat who shows up. Thats your record to break now, at States next year.

Nick, you have been bitten by the Iron Bug. Youre welcome.

Having a program set out for you is a great motivator, you cant go soft cock in the gym if youre having a bad day, its already written up for you.

How good does it feel when you get through another week.

Its why I made it only $20, the more people I can get training correctly, the better our sport/hobbie will become

fck that was brutal today... squats week 2 (180kg program), followed by bench week 3 (120kg program)... I'm struggling with the squats, I don't have a spotter or any pins/bars set up so when I start fatiguing I break down mentally and slowly squat higher and higher... so I added another set at the end at 100kg and made sure I was ATG on every one, pausing at the bottom... squats are all in the head!

my lower back/glutes were still fckd from deadlifts on Tue but I soldiered on... just have to get used to squatting and deadlifting twice a week... and maybe have a can of harden the fck up lol

I wanted to do some heavy bent over rows, only got through 2 sets before my butt muscles cried enough so I just did some other assistance stuff

the bench is going much easier... I'm benching 3 times a week as I never used to do much bench so feel like I have a long way to go... no spotter but hasn't been an issue so far... I guess it's a good motivator to get the weight off your chest... either lift it or lay there whimpering lol

Deadlifts are going well too, I'm doing the 220kg program... the garbage bars are ripping my hands to pieces with the super sharp knurling but I figure it will stop hurting after a while... I still can't get over how much nicer the bar at PTC was to hold (and chalk helped)... I'm considering buying my own bar and keeping it in the office

I may need to actually use a protein supp now... I've never supplemented but can see how taxing a program like this is going to be... milk and eggs might not be enough anymore?

Hey chief.

Normally PPP is done 1 lift per session.. lol

Monday squat and accessories

Wednesday Bench and accessories

Friday Dead and accessories

How are you programming it?

re: hands - got any chalk? if not get some. if gym doesn't allow it, you can get a chalk/alcho/gel stuff from outdoors type stores where they sell rock climbing gear. that stuff doesn't leave a mess.

Those bars at PTC cost more than a years membership to most commercial gyms.

edit - benching by yourself - if you don't have pins to drop it on to, make sure you DON'T put the collars on the end of the bar. so if you get pinned, you just tilt one side down, it dumps the plates and be ready for when it flings over to the other side.. lol

Edited by TTT

oops! lol

Squat + Bench + accessories - Tue

Deadlift + Bench + accessories - Thu

Squat + Bench + accessories - Sat

I find the bench press a lot less taxing than the SQ or DL so have been doing it every session... I might swap it out for overhead press on one of the days... although I've been doing OHP as assistance most sessions as well...

I might see how long I last doing it this way, if I hit a brick wall I'll dial it back... really want to squat 2 x a week for a while as I reckon it has the best carryover in terms of athletic performance... and I'm still clinging onto the fantasy that I might be able to dunk one day lol

I never put collars on

Edit: sorry I'm only DL once a week, not twice as I mentioned in previous post... although I do use powercleans and rack pulls as assistance

Edited by NickR33

Rowdy, somecsstudent on here, did PPP, all 3 lifts, 3 x week. He got to a 200kg squat, 130kg bench and 230kg deadlift

He finally hit the wall, but those lifts at 85kg are pretty good

The Eleiko bar we used for squats and bench costs $2000, the Texas deadlift bar costs around $800

I'll keep at it then, see how I hold up

hmmm wonder how I'm going to get a DL bar purchase past the wife... better than spending money on the car honey... all in the name of good health!

Actually she is keen to come down and have a look at your gym since I told her how many strong girls you have down there... she's greek so you guys probably know each other lol ;)

I actually know very, very few greeks, none outside my gym

It would be great to have her come see.

The stronger girls train at 11am 4 times a week

Heavy deads tomorrow morning at 11, last heavy deadlift session before Worlds

Nina and Amanda should pull 140kg, Sussy and Vicky 130kg

yeah was just playing on the stereotype... she was very happy to take my last name when we got married, her maiden name took far too long to write and nobody ever spelt it correctly

very impressive lifts, I know lots of blokes who couldn't pull that... strong women are awesome!... Kal deadlifted 6 x 55kg the other night which was pretty good for her (she is 50kg)... she is okay deadlifting but her squat needs work... been trying to get her to squat deeper as she is still way too high... just a confidence thing I think

Just joined the pro raw forums... checking out people's logs, very helpful