SAU Community

Powerlifting

markos

I'll have to ring abc and talk to them.

I have found a few different bars on this website:

http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/6-foot-olympic-barbell-commercial.html

There's a 2m womens cross fit bar on there as well which has the length taken from the sleeves, but it's pretty pricey.

The one I linked to says its got 1230mm worth of shaft between the inner part of the collar, but I have asked them how much room for plates there is on each sleeve. Don't wanna sacrifice to much weight plate room if I can get away with it.

So I may have to step up to a 2m bar instead of 6ft.

Thanks for your help Markos.

Yeh i get that part, but I don't need 1310mm between the inner edge of the collars. Just bigger than 1150mm so it'll work with my rack.

So the ideal bar would be 6ft long, have like 1200mm between collars, thinish collars and then be able to maximize sleeve length.

I should just knock down the wall so I can go a full size bar, but that won't go over well with the owners of the place haha!

I think you will struggle to get a decent amount of space on the 6ft bar. When I bought my rack I had a 6ft bar, it would fit in the rack but there was only about 20mm from the bit where the plates sit up against to the J-hooks - not very good when trying to rack quickly.

Edited by Dani Boi

Ok, ordered the bar.

The other thing I need to sort out is the rubber flooring for where I will be doing my lifting. I will be doing deadlifts, power cleans, front squats and maybe some snatches etc once I get my technique down.

I was thinking about just getting 1 or 2 of those 15mm commercial gym floor rubber tiles that are 1m x 1m. Then cut them in half and have two 50cm x 1m long strips about 1.1m apart.

Do you guys think the 15mm rubber tile over a concrete slab will be thick enough for dropping bumper plates onto from shoulder height? Or should I put one ontop of the other and have it 30mm thick on each side? I would like to keep the bumper plates and my bar in good condition.

Then I'll just get some ply wood that is 30mm thick and put it down on the concrete slab in between the tiles and have my own portable platform of sorts.

I would go all out and build a proper lifting platform, but I need something that can be broken down easily and moved/stored without takin up a lot of space.

Edited by Mitcho_7

just for those interested.

A group of people from Aus went to the GPC WORLDS competition in Slovakia.

There have been over 10 medal winners with a bunch of them being Gold.

Main one so far, the Owner of PTC Brisbane Scott Wasson has set 2 World records (1 for deadlift and 1 for total) and 4 Aus records (squat, bench, deadlift and total) and won Gold.

Scotts WR total (724.5kg - 257.5 squat, 165 bench, 302 deadlift) is an all time biggest total 90/93 raw in any fed in oz

480929_10151053759143015_1324381727_n.jpg

Some of the bigger fellas lifting today.

If anyone is interested in watching the live feed you can here...

http://www.powerlifter.cz/live/

It should be starting about 4pm AEST.

I'm sure Markos will have more info and vids/pics etc when he returns

Edited by TTT

awesome effort, what a beast! must be the beard... I'm hoping mine gives me a few extra kilos

was watching the girls on that feed yesterday... in my limited experience the judging seemed very lenient, anyone who knows their stuff care to comment?

was inspired so last night we did: squats, Bulgarian split squats, good mornings, bench press, DB overhead press, cable chest press/flyes... completed in just over an hour... I'm tired today lol

Yeah Nick I thought the same about the judging from what I saw.

the press calls were REALLY quick too.

The judging is ALOT more strict at GPC Aus.

Couple of Brisbane fellas lifting today

Zach Turner - 140+ kilo, 19 year old, squats over 300kg, benches 180ish, dead around 250

Ricky Goodyear - around 105kg - 37 years old, he is opening on 300/190/290

yeah I really don't know enough to have an opinion either way, but it does get a bit confusing when your new to the sport

Those numbers are funny looking at on screen, your like yeah sounds impressive... but to actually load that shit up on a barbell and get underneath it... fck me

thing is, because they use proper thin metal 25kg plates, it doesn't look like much either

Compared to say bumber plates or the chunky shitty rubber coated plates that most gyms have (and I have at home).

Until you see the bar bend... lol

especially in the deadlifts, they use a texas deadlift bar which has some flexibility to it.

when loaded up with the likes of 300kg, there is a fair bit of bend in it.