SAU Community

Powerlifting

markos

Yet to adopt a belt

I'm probably at the weights on deadlifts where most take up one, but not getting any pains, so don't really want that crutch yet

If you depend on it, it's a crutch. I'm not saying they don't work or serve their purpose, but once you start don't expect to stop.

Will probably do it myself one day, but prefer to hold off as long as I can.

See I dont think it is necessarily a crutch...

And thats why im seeing what everyone elses opinions are.

Imo a belt just allows you to apply more pressure when creating the internal 'belt' using your stomach.

If it allows you to squat 10kg more, thats your quads, thorasic, CNS, etc. all getting used/havin to that 10kg heavier load, yet you're still applying the same pressure, if not more, due to resistance of the belt.

• Like 1

If you look at the strongest deadlifters in the world, they all wear belts during training and competitions, and I don't think they have weak backs! There is a strong (haha) correlation between those who wear belts and those who lift crazy heavy weights.

My thoughts essentially echo jangles.

And if you plan on competing, you may as well train with the gear you're going to use.

Im think im gonns start using the belt more once my back gets better and I can start squats and deads again.

Super bummed because I finally hit a 160kg squat and a 210kg dead and then did something to my back bending down to get something from the fridge :(

Only person I know that lifts a fair chunk of weight and doesn't use a belt to deadlift is Scott Wasson.

Youtube shows him deadlifting 318kg at 90kg bodyweight with no belt.

Me.. I try to wear my belt before I sneeze these days.

My thoughts essentially echo jangles.

And if you plan on competing, you may as well train with the gear you're going to use.

Im think im gonns start using the belt more once my back gets better and I can start squats and deads again.

Super bummed because I finally hit a 160kg squat and a 210kg dead and then did something to my back bending down to get something from the fridge :(

What sort of belt to you use?

Unfortunately, it's usually the straw that breaks the camels back.

need to work on my deadlift form. No pain from the lift but an experienced coach has pointed out a couple of flaws in my technique that he recommends me fix before comp day. Hopefully it helps me lift more.

not sure if link will work or if my FB account is on private or not.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153230373749688&set=vb.598394687&type=2&theater&notif_t=video_comment

I find a belt a must for heavy squats. That said I squatted 180kg @ 88kg before I started using one.

I never used a belt for deads as I could never get comfortable. Until I realised I needed to loosen it and wear it much higher than when squatting. I now wear it around my upper abs/mid back, rather than down around my lower back.

If you can set your lats tight and fight the rounding of your mid back you can transfer more of that initial leg drive to the bar. That's where a belt can help. Once you lose tightness in your mid back all the load get's transferred to your lower back and you will have trouble at the top locking the weight out.

I don't see a belt as a protective device. Plenty of people have hurt themselves wearing one. They're just an aid to keep tight and not let an power leak out during a lift.

• Like 1

I find a belt a must for heavy squats. That said I squatted 180kg @ 88kg before I started using one.

I never used a belt for deads as I could never get comfortable. Until I realised I needed to loosen it and wear it much higher than when squatting. I now wear it around my upper abs/mid back, rather than down around my lower back.

If you can set your lats tight and fight the rounding of your mid back you can transfer more of that initial leg drive to the bar. That's where a belt can help. Once you lose tightness in your mid back all the load get's transferred to your lower back and you will have trouble at the top locking the weight out.

I don't see a belt as a protective device. Plenty of people have hurt themselves wearing one. They're just an aid to keep tight and not let an power leak out during a lift.

Congrats on the squat nick