SAU Community

My Crapbox Ceffy

a31rb25

Had an old thread about this somewhere, can't find it now so figured I'd start again.

Bought the car in 2005 looking like this post-67928-0-20658200-1345549055_thumb.jpg

Came with the following:

RB25DET S2

RB20 box

R33 rear brake swap

4-5 stud front converters

recaro knock off seats

SMIC of some sort

Unknown 2 way

TEIN HR coils

cusco castor rods

stereo didn't work

Unknown heavy as hell twin plate

A/C didn't work

3" exhaust with a cannon

Shortly after getting it put a FMIC in it, did skids around parts of Canberra.

post-67928-0-27727800-1345549329_thumb.jpg

Took the Apexi badge off, ruined the grille and was gay.

Moved to Melb in 2006 with work, did a track at Winton, got the front end airborn over a ripple strip whilst spinning coming onto the main straight, landed hard & did some minor damage.

post-67928-0-94588000-1345549493_thumb.jpg

Went on my farewell cruise in October as I'd finished my work there. We camped out all night, bonfire, drinking, etc - Melb west meets kids should know, ran out of talent in a big way. Stoved into an embankment with a drop off just in front of it nose first, pushed the rad support up, bent the cooler, bent the chassis rails etc. Despite overheating in traffic & handling like shit, it got home the next day :)

post-67928-0-44945200-1345549678_thumb.jpg post-67928-0-23459500-1345550197_thumb.jpg

Moved back to Canberra, got the body work fixed up whilst I was without a license. Car looked presentable, hadn't got the rails straightened yet, still handled like shit. Used it as a daily for a while, hit a roo that bounced off a car coming the other way, f**ked the front bar, reo & cooler again. CBF paying rego on it as the car was getting more damage on the road than on the track so decided to go track only. Chucked it on a jig & pulled it straight(ish), car then sat for about 3 years slowly accumulating parts. I barely ever turned the engine over, never drove it, just generally hated it.

Finally got organised & took it to a Wakefield track day earlier this year, killed the stock RB25 AFM.

post-67928-0-99499600-1345551817_thumb.jpg

Since it came off the road:

gutted interior

shadow gauges

front & rear strut braces

silk road coilovers

cusco camber arms

boxed K-frame brackets

Velo seat

Velo harness

Z32 ECU + Nistune chip

Z32 AFM

currently sitting on R33 GTR rims

JJR 5 stud hubs for the front

Have a DMAX roof wing to go on, a cut & shut GTR plenum to go on but the f**king thing fouls on the brake master cylinder. Just sold the Blitz rims to the missus so she can stick them on her sil80 as daily drivers and keep her Buddy Clubs as track rims.

Buying a set of Zenkais (yeah yeah hate hate) because they're cheap and decent offsets. Plan to get a set of silver Weds SA-90 in 17x9 +20 as well, they look decent without the gay blue sticker around the inner lip on them. Will also evetually get the GTR plenum & new cooler piping sorted.

/cool story bro story

i'm liking this, you've skidded it, banged it up, repaired it and skidded it some more

you win tho, i only got mine in late 2006 so you have stuck to a ceffy longer then myself

Edited by Dan_J

^ You've probably had more time in yours though, mine sat for nearly 3 years in the garage. I'd like to blame lack of track time in NSW for the loss of motivation but it was more like debt management and being plain lazy :)

• 2 months later...

Wakefield Matsuri was on this weekend. Got the car all sorted, took it out yesterday and the clutch started slipping in the afternoon. Let it cool down, took it out again later on & it was good for most of the arvo.

Think I blew a turbo seal early in the arvo today too. Took off from the line, really slow through the revs in 2nd & 3rd & noticed white smoke coming out the exhaust under accel a bit later on when test driving the car once I was home.

New clutch & turbo it is then :)

Edited by a31rb25

Couple of pics from last weekend. The old girl also received a few more parts before getting thrashed again:

GKtech Caster arms

GKtech offset caster spacers

GKtech rack spacer

Tein strengthened tie rods

Tein OEM style rod ends

S14 LCAs

932_508751002478004_1267342242_n.jpg

230187_367357063354422_826854051_n.jpg

14256_366165100140285_668958678_n.jpg

Was running Achilles ATR Sport front & rears all weekend. Didn't really like them as fronts, understeered a little too much but I didn't play with the pressures at all to see if that improved them. Will be going for something a little better on the front next time I think.

Edited by a31rb25

• 4 months later...

Long time no love for the ceffy. I've relocated to Adelaide, it's nice to back home and have regular track days.

Have relpaced the clutch, found out the one the car came with is an OS Giken super single. I'm going to get it rebuilt and stick it back in the car as it was all kinds of win. Have also replaced the blown turbo with another stock 25 one, fitted a Velo harness and replaced the slipping OS Giken with an Exedy organic sports clutch, which will become the spare.

Track day this Sunday, will be good to skid again after months off, again.

Edited by a31rb25

• 1 month later...

Munted the front bar at the track day, clipped a marker breaking one of the cable ties, then drove the rest of the lap with it scraping under the front end so have worn a big hole in it :) Also dropped a bolt for the universal bearing carrier bracket thing which caused the driveshaft to smash about making an almighty f**king racket off the line as shit was flopping about everywhere on take off. By the time I got sick of the noise & sorted it out the day was over.

New clutch performed well though, now thinking of painting the car custard yellow with a grey kit and chucking some taxi lights on top to take the piss out of the ceffy myth.

Also won these on yahoo.jp the other night. 17x8 +25 so they'll be going on the front in a couple of months when they arrive.

post-67928-0-14697300-1368700169_thumb.jpg

Edited by a31rb25

• 8 months later...

Not much has happened since the previous post other than doing a few track days. The most recent one, Mallala matsuri on Jan 25 was terrible. Blew the headgasket so that's gotta be fixed and a few parts replaced like thermostat, water pump, + new head stud bolts, new radiator hoses and a few other little things.

1078561_808483682501468_697677367_o.jpg

Since going to Mallala and seeing 2 cars flip and how many tyre stacks there are everywhere this has been happening whilst the car is off the track. CAMS spec weld in half cage with single side intrusions. With the headgasket going, a newborn kid and holding money aside for when Iron Chef finds me a JZS171 Crown Estate, I can't afford a full cage :(

1795586_10152257014849747_516610421_n.jp1653789_10152257014739747_1601722624_n.j1779101_10152254642679747_915638489_n.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Cyl 6 was low on compression and with the head off after inspecting everything the piston was found to be sitting a little low thanks to a bent rod :( If the head is knackered I'll be in the market for a new engine.

Getting a new engine, ring lands were knackered on a few cylinders. No big build or anything like that planned, no conversion, just buying a stripped down 25, chucking all my shit on it and putting it back in. Now have a heap of new parts that I won't be using so will slowly rebuild the knackered engine, get the head reconditioned, etc.

Also about to bring in a JZS171 Crown Estate.

• 4 months later...

New engine in, just another stock 25. Did another track day at Tailem Bend clutch started smelling straight away. Let a mate drive it, he stripped 2nd gear and then after lunch I was attempting a lap using 1st & 3rd when the clutch completely shit itself.

Time to get my old OS Giken super single rebuilt and get a 25 box with the tax return.

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress is slow. 25 box acquired, Obon week means waiting longer for the clutch overhaul kit. Next private day was cancelled so I've got longer until the next session which means a new exhaust is going on too.

• 1 month later...

Gearbox, Nismo solid shifter & overhauled clutch are in. Chucked in a Navara speedo sensor as well. Was having issues with bind, so asked Simon Michelmore to chuck some lock stops on my extended LCAs, he modded my knuckles for SFA instead. Waiting on longer tie rods & ends to arrive.

In the meantime I got bored so painted the corner lights.

post-67928-0-40859700-1413594712_thumb.jpg