SAU Community

R32 Gtr Intercooler On R32 Gts-T ?

Aftermarket ECU's can be engineered in NSW (at least, dont know for other states) provided the engineer is approved to certify ECU changes - which most are not.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aftermarket ECU's can be engineered in NSW (at least, dont know for other states) provided the engineer is approved to certify ECU changes - which most are not.

same over here, follow the regulations, take it to the right people & pay enough money!

Edited by WMDC35

Technically, where aftermarket ECUs can be engineered, the vehicle has to pass a rather expensive emissions test and the ECU has to be locked afterwards. The only time it's really feasible is when you are doing type application for a limited run production of something or other (like the modified 200SXs that some crowd was doing years and years ago, or clubmans, or that sort of thing) where a number of vehicles will all be the same and can amortise the cost.

same over here, follow the regulations, take it to the right people & pay enough money!

Which state are you in?

Yeah it's fairly simple. Too bad there's so many tightasses buying Skylines thesedays who dont think engineering is money well spent.

An engineering report here for example is generally about the same cost as a Garrett turbo and includes all mods to the car inc emissions and aftermarket ECU's.

Technically, where aftermarket ECUs can be engineered, the vehicle has to pass a rather expensive emissions test and the ECU has to be locked afterwards. The only time it's really feasible is when you are doing type application for a limited run production of something or other (like the modified 200SXs that some crowd was doing years and years ago, or clubmans, or that sort of thing) where a number of vehicles will all be the same and can amortise the cost.

Emissions test is free.

Locking the ECU is free.

Engineering report including all the mods to the car (increased wheel size, change of turbo, larger FMIC etc) will set someone back about $1200 from a certain Sydney workshop.

IM240 pass is required for engineering certificates.

Totally free.

Had one done last week.

How did you go with getting an electronic boost controller engineered ? As far as I know from the various phone calls I made no one could guarantee a valid engineering certificate for this. Who did you use to get your vehicle engineered btw ?? PM me if you dont want to discuss in thread. Cheers :)

Wow. I have had my car for 13 years and for 12 of those it has had a hole cut in the inner guard for the intercooler. It has been for countless road worthiness certificates in NSW and also passed in Vic. I have had two accidents with two different insurers and one of them required replacement of the exhaust and intercooler...no voiding of insurance.

If you can get cooler piping sorted for a reasonable price then go for it. The problem with GTR coolers is that they work out far more expensive then all the kits getting around which include piping for connecting it; all well under the cost of custom piping to make the GTR cooler work

That's because roadworthhy inspection mechanics are more often marginally competent or simply don't care about things like that. Certainly more so than the complete safety nazi types who would quickly earn themselves a reputation and therefore do themselves out of work/business.

If you had a frontal collision in which someone died in your car, and there was some way the insurer could claim that your interference with the crumple zones of the car contributed to the death, you'd be up shit's creek. And it's not just your comprehensive insurer you have to worry about. 3rd party bodily insurers are the same as any other - they will look for ways to get out from under a claim, and you don't want to be stuck with the results of that.

I too have had my car for 13 years. And for 12 of those it has had a hole cut in the inner guard in front of the airbox. Looks stock. Not like the dodgy hole in the chassis rail most Skylines cop for the cooler pipework. After 13 years of ownership my car has to go in for an inspection at Regency for the recent engine transplant, so that it can remain legal. Before I do so, I have to straighten out some dents in the chassis rails under the floorpan at the back of the engine bay. Reason? Because dented chassis rails will result in a defect when presenting to Regency. I was under an R34 GTR a few weeks ago that will either need about $3000 of work to fix up the dented rails and sills, or be wrecked.... because it has a defect sticker on the window and it won't be passed at Regency. Nothing else wrong with it (apart from the loud exhaust that caused the defect). We may get it easier in terms of regular inspections here in SA. But the rules are rather rigidly enforced when they are enforced, and there is no dodgy swede culture for getting defects cleared like the Eastern states have had for most of the last 10 years.

can i do a reverse flow on my gtr intercooler? ill just make up some piping to go underneath an back to the standard holes that will work wont it? an does it matter if the intercooler is 3'' inlets an the piping im using is 2'5'' so ill just us rubber addaptors will that make it lose power?

Brisby you so rarely drive your car on the street it's never an issue. I bet I've done more KM's in my SS in the last 2 months than you have in your 32 in the last 6 years!

To the other comments about cutting/non standard holes & un-insured - Not quite correct.

The only time it is an issue is on models that have airbags from the factory. Non-airbag models and cutting holes is perfectly fine and legal. Some states you don't even need to get an engineers. Also that said an engineer won't have any drama signing it off either way if its done right, I went through this with my GTS-R and putting a RB26 into it, it was basically a non-issue for the engineer from their point of view and the hole was about the dimension of a big tissue box :)

Also most Police won't defect you either because they know it's only an Airbag model related issue (In Vic at least, and we have it the worst down here).