SAU Community

Replacing Catalytic Converter

Nights

Hi guys,

On pit inspection Ive been asked to get a new catalytic converter fitted, apparently mine sounds hollow meaning the stuff inside has worn out and that means it doesnt comply.

So anyway, i need a new one. Im not sure how emission laws work etc, can I import one from the UK or America and fit it to my car?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/R33-Skyline-GTS-T-Cat-Catalytic-Converter-2yr-Warranty-/150330537572?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230065f664

Something like that? Ive been quoted 600 to get it done here, not to mention i wont be able to use the temp sensor unless they do a dodge job and make a hole and weld it in. Just figured this seems a hell of a lot easier and cheaper.

were you quoted $600 for a gold plated convertor? traders on SAU will sell you one (recommend you go that way)also plenty hi flow cats on ebay, if you have some mechanical knowledge and a set of ramps you can fit it yourself for far less than $600

money down the drain do it yourself, get a mate to help its peanuts.

Coming from the guy who just handed the tools to my mate while he did all

the hard bits ! even so its just a few bolts and dropping the exhaust

from what i remember. If not any average mechanic should do it for

way cheaper.

Edited by starwarz

I'd even start by just checking your cat. Someone saying "it sounds hollow" isn't reason enough for me to go splashing cash that I might not need to. Unbolt it and have a look at the substrate, see if it's still ok. If not then it's time for a new one; can get a VENOM 100 cell cat for $160 plus bout $50 to have flanges welded on. But that might be a bit overkill for an NA car.

Yeah Ive no problems putting it on myself, i already got it off. Hardest thing was getting the sensor out, was stuck in like a rock.

Yeah 600 seemed redic, wasnt even a special cat, just your standard run of the mill one.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Ill check out the traders or look at importing.