SAU Community

Weird Noise

itpesaf

hi guys

just wanting to know if anyone has ever had this issue before - when I'm driving at low speed (10-20ish) i hear some sounds which seem to be coming from around the wheel area of my car. it's hard to describe the sounds - kinda like tchu tchu tchu tchu as the wheel rotates. Once i pick up speed don't really hear it (probs due to increase road/wind noise). It's most apparent when I'm driving next to a wall with the windows down.

Could it be the brake pads? or the actual rotors?It's a metallic type sound which I've noticed last few days as I've been driving with the windows down.

and sometimes the brakes squeak when I'm driving slow and coming to a stop - new brake pads needed?

edit: My handbrake is also not too strong - i have to pull it right up with force to stop the car from moving on a slope. And on a few occasions in the morning when cold and I've released my handbrake to reverse i hear a thump... Could this have something to do with it?

So far I'm thinking -

warped rotors?

worn brake pads?

handbrake issue?

Edited by itpesaf

I have the same issue as you with the handbrake but nothing else. I'm just assuming the handbrake needs to be adjusted. Mine doesn't work at all unless it's on the highest level and sometimes it makes a painful sound when you realise after being pulled so high.

Again, I'm just assuming it needs an adjustment.

Can't help with your other problem though sorry.

hi guys

just wanting to know if anyone has ever had this issue before - when I'm driving at low speed (10-20ish) i hear some sounds which seem to be coming from around the wheel area of my car. it's hard to describe the sounds - kinda like tchu tchu tchu tchu as the wheel rotates. Once i pick up speed don't really hear it (probs due to increase road/wind noise). It's most apparent when I'm driving next to a wall with the windows down.

Could it be the brake pads? or the actual rotors?It's a metallic type sound which I've noticed last few days as I've been driving with the windows down.

I have the same problem with handbrake, have to pull it hard to get it to stop on a slope but i don't get a noise when it's cold in the morning.

Well i have a similar noise in my front right wheel area, but it's more of a creak. I only hear it when i'm braking at low speeds and i know my rotors need machining so i'm guessing it's just that. Or a lower control arm bush.

Check out your rotors and pads see how worn they are, if they are glazed and have lines of them (like mine) you need to get them machined. I get a little squeeky brakes early in the morning but i don't hear it for the rest of the day.

Sorry i can't help :/

Edited by Seano350GT

Well i drove this morning and it's not really noticeable - i need to have the window down and be driving next to a wall with no noise coming from anything else. Once I pick up speed the sound is gone. I checked my pads and they seem to be ok - will check the rotors to see if they have those lines, I would say the sound is kinda like something metallic brushing against something else.

I actually had the exact same noise years ago when i had wide wheels on a car - the insides would hit something, and it may be that it's my wheels rubbing against something on the inside? they are wider than stock (8.5/9.5") so I'll check that out later. I don't feel any shuddering on my steering wheel or brake pedal when coming to a quick stop.

If it is a wheel bearing I should be able to detect some play in the wheel once the car is jacked up right?

Just an updated on this, the scraping sound is very intermittent - went for a drive yesterday through the hills and the sound was on/off - and when I braked it stopped making a sound. My rear disc looks very scratched up, could this be the issue? And the actual shiny face of the disc has gone in a little lower than the edge (rusty rim) of the disc.

Jacked up both the front and rear wheels and could not feel any wobbling, or movement.

edit: what are your recommendations for brake pads/rotors?

Don't have too much to spend, but would you guys say getting from ebay would be better/cheaper?

And i'm guessing the brake pads/rotors would be the same as 350z track pads/rotors?

Edited by itpesaf

Just an updated on this, the scraping sound is very intermittent - went for a drive yesterday through the hills and the sound was on/off - and when I braked it stopped making a sound. My rear disc looks very scratched up, could this be the issue? And the actual shiny face of the disc has gone in a little lower than the edge (rusty rim) of the disc.

Jacked up both the front and rear wheels and could not feel any wobbling, or movement.

edit: what are your recommendations for brake pads/rotors?

Don't have too much to spend, but would you guys say getting from ebay would be better/cheaper?

And i'm guessing the brake pads/rotors would be the same as 350z track pads/rotors?

So it's not a sort of clunking/creaking sound is it? Could be worn LCA bush, i know mines a little worn as i have a bit of a creak on the front right. You can pick up a decent set of rotors for sub $500 delivered i would do a little research before ordering anything though, 350z track brakes i think are the same as ours.

don't think it's the lca bush. The sound is not a clunk, it's a scraping sound, it sounds pretty much exactly like putting your hands together and rubbing them (but imagine a more metallic sound) - and it gets faster with speed. Like Isaid it's intermittent, sometimes it's worse - but usually when I brake the sound goes away.

Edited by itpesaf

Brake pads. Buy new ones and put them in. If they are Gold coloured callipers with brembo written on them, then its the same as a 350Z Track. If they are silver metallic with no paint, then they are the same as 350Z Touring model.

GSL Rallysport is a fourm sponsor, and provides good products- ask them for a product that suits how you drive the car.

Well, thats down to how damaged they are, and what thickness they run. Rotors have a minimum thickness for safety. You need to suss it out.

Best practice is to have the rotors skimmed each time you put new pads in, if they are of sufficient thickness. This allows the new pad to bed in properly with new rotor material, and removes any left over pad material stuck on the surface.

I think I know exactly what this noise is, im suprised no one mentiond the Diff issue, the V35 has the same greasing issue with the Diff as the 350z has, at low speeds it makes that noise (like a clicking sound). My V35 used to make that noise also the drve shaft has an issue with the grease on it that caused it, people had this issue with the 350z and nissan had to fix it as it was there issue, they pull the diff out re grease it put it back in noise gone.

Its a bit hard to hear but this thread explains what it is and how to fix it with a video of the sound

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction-diy/428639-clicking-noise-from-rear-axle.html

I think I know exactly what this noise is, im suprised no one mentiond the Diff issue, the V35 has the same greasing issue with the Diff as the 350z has, at low speeds it makes that noise (like a clicking sound). My V35 used to make that noise also the drve shaft has an issue with the grease on it that caused it, people had this issue with the 350z and nissan had to fix it as it was there issue, they pull the diff out re grease it put it back in noise gone.

Its a bit hard to hear but this thread explains what it is and how to fix it with a video of the sound

http://my350z.com/fo...-rear-axle.html

I have a feeling this isn't the OP's problem, also that diff issue can be fixed by re-torqueing the bolts because they loosen after time making that clicking sound.

Best way to solve noise issues in your front suspension is to jack and stand the car off the ground (make sure you do this well) and shake everything around.

Try and push the wheel in and out top and bottom (grab both sides and push and pull etc), then take the wheels off and just move as much stuff around as possible. then get under and have a look for worn, twisted or suspect looking bushes. run your fingers over your brakes and feel for ripples, cracks anything that doesnt feel normal. Look along the rotor for warping etc.

Look at everything, tie rod ends, bushes, bolts, joints, arms, etc

This is all I can suggest, Just have a good look.

I have that exact noise also. Mine is coming from the front drivers side front wheel I think. Such a tricky thing to describe and becasue its not there all the time i've just been ignoring it.

I'd be very keen to know what fixes it, I think mine is getting slowly worse, I'm starting to notice it when driving at faster speeds now around the city, used to be only at very slow speeds. i think it's worse when turning also.

indiscriminant turning certainly does make the sound come and go (which may mean it's the front wheels?) - but as the sound goes away when I apply brakes it's led me to suspect brake pad/discs. My rear discs also look really bad - big black streak lines and the surface isn't really smooth.

Edit: and the noise isn't a clicking sound - it's a rubbing/scraping sound.

And are the brake discs the same diameter as 350z discs? I have the brembo brakes so I know to get 350z track pads. (Reason I'm asking is because most of the stuff for sale on ebay aus is for 350z's in)

Edited by itpesaf

indiscriminant turning certainly does make the sound come and go (which may mean it's the front wheels?) - but as the sound goes away when I apply brakes it's led me to suspect brake pad/discs. My rear discs also look really bad - big black streak lines and the surface isn't really smooth.

Edit: and the noise isn't a clicking sound - it's a rubbing/scraping sound.

And are the brake discs the same diameter as 350z discs? I have the brembo brakes so I know to get 350z track pads. (Reason I'm asking is because most of the stuff for sale on ebay aus is for 350z's in)

Yes- V35 Brembo = 350z Track. Pad AND Disc. If your having a hard time of it mate, just take it to a mechanic. Don't order shit off ebay. Who knows what you'll end up with. Order parts from a decent shop- as I said GSL rallysport are a contributor/supporter to this Forum. Their stuff arrives next day in most cases, their prices are decent, and they will be able to guide you to a product that suits your needs (track/street/fast road etc)