SAU Community

R35 Gtr Air Flow Meter The New Z32 Afm

1400r

So they will bolt onto any size pipe and handle over 300rwkw and is cheaper than a Z32. Next question, how hard is it to get it to work with power fc, I'm guessing not to bad just a matter of playing with the settings, but have no idea how to do this

Would be interested if my Z32 decides to die so I can do a full 4" intake

They aren't bolt in, you'd need to fab up a custom insert for them. Have a look @ his pictures in the first post - you can see the fab'd pipe as the sensor is a rectangle about the size of a matchbox (roughly).

I can supply the pipe sensor and plug for $250 only got 3 though

making it bolt on replacement for a z32 unless you wanna go bigger pipe

that would require a different size silicon adaptor i.e easy as

or even better make a proper inlet size which matches the turbo inlet size

so it doesn't have to step down like when running a z32

Edited by 1400r

Once you have an airflow map for it, it'd be a piece of cake to setup with a PFC. Getting the map would be the hard part.

Yeah that's what i thought. No idea who could provide/work that out but. Will see what happens with it anyway

I'll say it again nisstune have the map support the people testing this stuff out guys

anyone supplying nisstune should be have access to the map via Pete and Matt (nisstune)

and you can get the adaptors sensor kit from me :)

Edited by 1400r

Yes....but the VQ map will be different for each different size tube that the sensor gets installed into. To be clever, you would even want to know down to about 0.5mm that the ID of the pipe person X was using was the same as the ID of the pipe that person Y worked out a map for.

If you were lucky, you could just scale the mass flow from one size to another by simple cross sectional area....but given how non-linear these AFMs are known to be (not R35 in particular, but all hot wire meters) I'd be wary of doing so without proof.

This is not an objection to the idea, just a warning that there is an extra obstacle or two to negotiate along the way.

nisstune didn't seem to think there will be no problem after playing with the vq map on mine

compared to the Japanese one I got and sold to them (the id'd were different slightly)

I sure if you used Pete to help along with your normal local nisstune tuner you 'd be fine

They aren't bolt in, you'd need to fab up a custom insert for them. Have a look @ his pictures in the first post - you can see the fab'd pipe as the sensor is a rectangle about the size of a matchbox (roughly).

Yeah I know, thats not a problem. Just easier to fab into a 4" pipe rather then hacking up a Z32 AFM thats worth more apparently and then fitting that into a 4" pipe

Theres a few kinks to work out in this plan by the looks of it, but it shows some promise

Yeah true. Not really hard to chop a Z32, it's only plastic :)

Problem as already said is then getting the mapping sorted really based on the piping size. Potentially could cost you more in tuning/testing to do it as opposed with going the known option at this point.

I know this is a bit further along - Wonder what the life span of a R35 AFM will be hehe :)

Yeah true. Not really hard to chop a Z32, it's only plastic :)

Problem as already said is then getting the mapping sorted really based on the piping size. Potentially could cost you more in tuning/testing to do it as opposed with going the known option at this point.

I know this is a bit further along - Wonder what the life span of a R35 AFM will be hehe :)

Might look into it when someone works out the mapping etc in a 4" pipe, as you said its at more of a devlopment stage at the moment and with a half built engine and a shrinking list of dyno's where I live, I certainly dont want to put money into it at the moment lol. The Z32 AFM will do the job nicely for the moment :)

HOPEFULLY, it turns into a good option. But until a few people start using them I think OP will be met with alot of the same. It's to early for most to commit, especially those running higher HP

Yeah its early days yet and the initial results are too odd to be convincing.

If it is anything like the VQ afm's... They have a microprocessor inside them and fail regularly.

:yes:

They certainly seem to be easier to remap from reading i did a while back, most likely then means they are the same (or similar) to a VQ style

Wonder if anyone has pulled down a R35 AFM and can confirm?!?!?

Hence is this a case of brining more problems into the system for the sake of $150 if they are going to have more issues.

yep mate stick to what you know seems you weren't a fan of the idea to start with

ps I can supply match pipe 3-4 inch all fab'd up

however I would prefer to do this once I've tested them on my mates 380rwkw rb25

so I now if there is any issues

selling the 3 3 inch ones I have first before outlaying more of my cash

If it is anything like the VQ afm's... They have a microprocessor inside them and fail regularly.

I would be well surprised if they have microprocessor in the afm... May have some kind of signal processing. I know the output is just a typical 0-5v output.

As for tuning i wouldn't be setting it up on a 380kw car - I would get a fairly un modified car and try to map out the bottom end of the curve.

Edited by rob82

^

I've already done the ground work with getting my car retuned to suit the 35 gtr afm mate it makes just under 200rwkw

point is in a 80mm pipe (matching z32 size pipe) they max out at 300rwkw

so I want to test them in my mates car with nisstune as it makes enough power to top out the afm in 80mm size

to make sure the theory of upsizing the pipe size actually works without driveability issues

not doing anything till I sell the 80mm units I have though already sunk enough cash into testing

^

I've already done the ground work with getting my car retuned to suit the 35 gtr afm mate it makes just under 200rwkw

point is in a 80mm pipe (matching z32 size pipe) they max out at 300rwkw

so I want to test them in my mates car with nisstune as it makes enough power to top out the afm in 80mm size

to make sure the theory of upsizing the pipe size actually works without driveability issues

not doing anything till I sell the 80mm units I have though already sunk enough cash into testing

It should work well in a larger pipe if you can re-program the voltage curve and retune for it.

I would be well surprised if they have microprocessor in the afm... May have some kind of signal processing. I know the output is just a typical 0-5v output.

It must adjust the airflow signal dependant on temp as the iat sensor is built in, perhaps even pressure? (This is a VQ25det afm.)

post-63525-0-82721600-1347890549_thumb.jpg

I always thought Nissan were a little mad to use the pre turbo temp signal from the afm for correction, especially as the Stagea runs 1 bar stock.

If there were no calculations going on inside there would be no reason to complicate the sensor with the electronics. What is the failure rate of the GTR afm's now they are getting older?