SAU Community

R35 Gtr Air Flow Meter The New Z32 Afm

1400r

So op makes rediculous statement about gaining 40kws with a maf swap

People say it simply isn't true but the r35 maf has its merits of being cheaper and potentially more stable

Op has a pink fit because he isn't selling any magic mafs at 250 bucks a pop

Op I will buy your magic maf's if you guarantee my v8 commodore will gain 40kws in the mid range.

As said 11ty times the is no gain in power by swapping maf sensors

And providing the z32 mafs are in good shape and well positioned I can't see any gain in drive ability

"Hi guys came across a couple of articles when I was in Japan about the tuners there using gtr airflow meters as a upgrade on earlier gtr's 32,33 and 34 and also on SR's

most tuners were quoting better response, no stalling and more power in some cases got me keen to try one out on my car

also these sensor are easily replaceable and cheaply (compared to z32 afm at $395) to buy as you can get just then sensor itself

they can also be fitted to alloy piping easily and be fitted on the hot side if required

I sourced one from Japan but ended up selling it to the nisstune guys and making up my own kits

I contact the guys at nisstune to help me out with getting it tuned and they were keen as

they got a vq map to suit and can now tune any nisstune to suit the 35 air flow meters

below is the results for my car it feels better response wise alot more linear and no ldle down stalling smile.png))))))))))))))))))))))))))

in z32 airflow meter size piping (i.e 80mm) they do top out around 300rwkw above that you would order it to suit bigger piping

my car had had z32 550cc sards and nisstune so pre tuned but my tuner reviewed it and made a couple of small changes

now has 35 afm 550cc sards and nisstune and retune to suit same dyno same boost level used for both runs

will be testing with my mate the bigger pipe size ones on his 380rwkw rb25 r32

then once test can supply those to

contact me via pm if you keen as I bought a few test examples to try out

ps I just like trying out the new tings there doing in Japan to see why there keen

pricing is way under a new z32 and I'm selling the extra ones I got off as complete replacement units so afm pipe plug

super keen to try these out on a gtr if I get enough interest I'll make some more kits up"

Hi mate were'd I say my car made a extra 40rwk due to the swap in fact the only thing I did say the car idles better and no more stall

don't worry yourselves about it in 6 months when everyone wants to do the swap watch me not help

Edited by 1400r

nah it'll make more power guys that's what I've been saying the whole time

over it close thread please

Unfortunately sarcasm often goes undetected on forums.

It's an interesting idea and good on you for trying it, hopefully they turn out to be a good long term option.

yes he did as I said before I just wanted a power run as the car was already tuned by someone else with the z32

but he reviewed the tune and changed a few things with the z32 to get the best out of it then swaped to the 35 afm and did the same

the power was is and never has been the point shit I only posted the dyno cause people would have asked me to as I said I didn't even notice the low down

difference

35 afm work and don't have the reverb issues which was the point of the test for me

happy to delete the dyno because its making everyone miss the point

The dyno is the perfect point though. It clearly emphasises the fact your setup with the Z32 was basically farked and had MAJOR issues with the tune/AFM/god knows what.

So going to a R35 AFM has helped everything from driveabilty to power - but you cannot say it's better than the Z32 setup - because it was farked from the outset.

If you were having stalling issues BEFORE the R35 AFM install, you should have FIXED them first. Rather than swapping and then claiming it's "so much better"... Of course it's better - you fixed a stuffed setup. You'd probably have found there is nowhere near the difference between the two as a result

1400R for my part thank you for taking the effort to try something different and showing us that there are alternarives to the old standby Z32 AFM .

The potential advantages appear to be price and ease of fit once a suitable tube housing is in place .

I guess the thing to look into is 80 and 90mm housings that interchange with Z32 and VH44 AFMs .

The difficulty will possibly be the settings needed to interface these with common computers such as PFCs Vipecs Wolfs Haltechs etc .

If you can find the necessary numbers to punch into an R33 RB25 PFC and can organise a Z32 type housing I'll consider giving it a go .

I tend to think that a more modern MAF sensor should be a more accurate and reliable and anything that can give potentially better drivability emissions and economy with the old PFC would be a godsend .

If its as good as it sounds it has to be cheaper and easier than an expensive computer update , cheers A .

Also if settings can be known for larger bore bodies and the sensor works properly at low flow rates it starts to make the whole MAF is a restriction theory look a bit pale .

cheers disco the nistune guys already have a vq map to suit 80mm sizing (not sure they'd wanna part with the info)

I'm guessing you'd need the fc pc software and edit one of the existing afm info over

I've got 3 80 mm pipes ready to go

for aftermarket ecu's anything running a 35 gtr already should be easiest, though I've only been looking at the lower end of the market

since I figured most would go map sensor if they have a aftermarket ecu

Pete seemed to think you'd just play with the vq map alittle to get it to work in bigger pipes

my Aussie made one was proper z32 size the japanese brand one was slightly different so P ete had to adjust the vq map abit between the 2 already

• 1 month later...

Hey guys - jumping in on this one. Unfortunately the thread has got quite confusing to say the least and some of this isn't easy to read

1400R has been working with PLMS trying these R35 MAF inserts in his 180SX using the 74mm Internal diameter housing (from LowBrain drift guys in Japan).

We managed to get another one of these from him and installed that on my R34 also and run some tests. The VMP tuning HPX MAF sensor also fits in the same MAF insert which is good since those have an every higher HP capability (but higher price and different MAF plug again...)

Our main goals were to find out :

(a) plug in and run on the R35 VQ map

> Yes it did

(b) how it ran in our current vehicle configurations compared to the Z32 MAF

> Less effect from vented air from the BOV hence not stalling due to vented air or reversion from turbo

© how much power it measured compared to the Z32 MAF

> Less power could be measured using the R35 MAF in the 74mm ID (80mm ED) piping. However expanding the piping size would mean greater load measurement than the Z32 MAF would be read when performing future tests....

Now in regards to MAFs measuring upto 300rwkw we found the R35 in this housing is reaching its limit at about this power level. As Ash has mentioned the Z32 MAF starts maxing out higher than this - estimated around the 350-370rwkw mark it will be reading the last load column of the fuel maps towards that point

The extrapolated figures of 300rwkw for the R35 MAF maximum load readings are based on 280rwkw read on that day using this MAF on my car. Basically we were reading 5.07 out of 5.12 volts around this power level. Details of the runs are here:

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2428

The graphs on my forum thread show the dyno results from that day. There were many runs performed, and the 298rwkw run is using Z32 MAF about probably a year ago during a power run as a baseline for the AFRs on the graph. This was so we could rescale the VQ map for the HPX MAF (we had to work out a new VQ map from polynomials and then fine tune it).

Given this these dyno graphs are not meant to be a comparison of power figures as final 'sales' proof but just as working examples of what we are doing with these MAFs. More testing is still to follow when I get some more dyno time and the larger diameter housings

We took a sample of the R35 MAF and HPX MAF and kept those for these printouts. So the other runs are testing the MAFs without going for top end figures (if that makes sense)

Now we are not implying a power improvement with the R35 MAF in this form, but given larger adaptor sizes would be achievable.

Yes....but the VQ map will be different for each different size tube that the sensor gets installed into. To be clever, you would even want to know down to about 0.5mm that the ID of the pipe person X was using was the same as the ID of the pipe that person Y worked out a map for.

Potentially could cost you more in tuning/testing to do it as opposed with going the known option at this point.

We are going to develop the VQ map for the 3.5" and 4" versions. This obviously needs dyno time and trying to extrapolate the existing VQ map if possible into a newer one

Yeah I know, thats not a problem. Just easier to fab into a 4" pipe rather then hacking up a Z32 AFM thats worth more apparently and then fitting that into a 4" pipe

That would be the plan

Wonder what the life span of a R35 AFM will be hehe

If it is anything like the VQ afm's... They have a microprocessor inside them and fail regularly.

Z32 MAFs arent that much better from what we have experienced in terms of reliability. All later model Nissan MAFs are inserts these days. I would dare say Nissan moved to these to improve reliability and replacement. Not to mention a lower cost. One of the main pains these days is knock off MAFs.

Z32 MAFs knock offs (Ebay and even other online vendors are a major pain in the butt) have caused so many tuning problems in the past

But if the R35 GTR afm can improve on the already proven Z32 AFM. Would be good to see

This is part of the point. Is that these are lower cost, readily available. They are getting picked up now for tuning in Japan, but we are as usual a bit slow here to pick up. In their current format being the 71mm ID (80mm ED) are good for upto 300rwkw. For over this figure it would still be Z32 MAF in the meantime until VQ maps are developed for 3.5" and 4" versions. I'll get to that but just too busy with general Nistune support and development currently. Plus I'l like to the the HPX VQ maps also done at the same time.

nah it'll make more power guys that's what I've been saying the whole time

These MAFs will not make more power... they are capable of reading more load at higher power levels with larger diameter housings

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

good read up guys I'll stick with z32 AFM untill the home work is done in 3 inch pipe and 4 inch pipe

thanks again, Can any one show me a setup of there not stalling AFM location on R33 gtr and vented back in pipe location???

• 3 months later...

for those interested mate of mine just made 310rwkw using 4 inch pipe with 35 gt afm

so vq map to suit 4 inch intake and 35 afm should now be available from nisstune for those making over 300kw and wanting to run r35 afm

once Ive spoke to him in more detail I'll find out how close it was to maxing out should be to close as (3 inch did 290ish)

Edited by 1400r