SAU Community

Car Trailer/ Tow Truck

sydking

HI all,

Would really appreciate some help with getting my hands on a car trailer or tow tuck in the next couple weeks,

I actually have a hyundai santa fe with toe bar so even if you have a trailer I can borrow for half a day that would be great,

As per topic tags, Cash, Beer and Women your way offcourse :)

Edited by sydking

Dam thats not bad huh, Cheers. for the heads up.

Im always a bit iffy about using gear form the likes of kennards ect, alot of the stuff ive used has been rubbish,

Ive noticved on google that alot of 711 have these https://www.trailerrentals.com.au/BookingStep2.aspx

but again, Not sure on how good they really are.

If you are hiring a trailer try to check it out in person first. I've hired from a bunch of local places and some are very different to others. Trailer height, ramp style and length in particular make a big difference to how easy it is to get the car on. Also some have much better tie down points than others.

I'm not sure what Santa fe you have, but you may want to check you can actually load the at up that much.

I bought an R33 home on the back of my XR6T the other weekend, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, I used uhaul, $146 fully insured no excess.

Tie down points were shit, but towed great. Ramps were a little short for my liking.

I towed my car to JEM behind a hilux, dont think its rated to that but the car was balanced and apart from doing 40 up Mooney Mooney it was fine :P

Not rated means not insured.

And if the row vehicle is too light it can be disastrous in the event of needing to stop quickly, or goin around curves and down hill.

Not rated means not insured.

And if the row vehicle is too light it can be disastrous in the event of needing to stop quickly, or goin around curves and down hill.

Nice! oops....

And it worked OK, the only time it got sketchy was down hill on the return trip when i had to brake harder than normal to wipe off some speed, i adapted driving to suit after that :P

i will find out the exact model when i get home. but if i have the righ tone, from specs Tow capacity 2000kg braked, 750kg unbraked. Ball weight 150kg.

are these trailers you boys are using braked ones?

Any trailer That is over 750KG has to be braked by law.

They use an override brake. That is, the trailer actually slides along a shaft that is connected to your tow ball. As the shaft pushes through it moves a lever to pull a cable which yanks the brakes on.

Makes for lots of bangs through the car if you aren't smooth on the brake or stop a little quickly.

The worst problem is that the moment you put your pride and joy on the trailer, there is some asshole that tail gates you the whole way!

Also, you need to reset your mirrors to watch the trailer a little bit more (watch the wheels on white lines)

You will soon have a new appreciation for trickiest on Sydney roads.

PS, avoid Canterbury road... One wheel on each white line the whole way... LOL

Yeah aim the mirrors down a bit it is helpful...... After a while you forget its there to an extent (Either that or it is actually no longer connected.........Thats bad!) :P

I was lucky as its mostly highway, pennant hills road was the only issue but other than that it was fine :)