SAU Community

Car Trailer/ Tow Truck

sydking

I just had to hire a trailer to take my car to the shop. I hired on a saturday for 24 hours from an actual shop, not a kiosk at a servo and had Sunday free as the shop was closed on Sun and returned this morning at 8am. It cost $123 with a $100 deposit which I got back. Just make sure you get one with long slide out ramps. Saves time lol. I to towed it with 2.2 turbo diesel Santa Fe. Aside from slow to 60 it did well .

Probably different places have different rates and deposits. The trailer I just took back was 750kg and a total max load of 1950kg inc trailer and loaded car. The company I used with the price I gave was Move Yourself at McGraths Hill/Vineyard near Windsor. Again it was the shop and not a kiosk at a servo.

Edited by FordyR31

you guys are lucky...pretty much every trailer I've ever hired has been a deathtrap.

towing a car is about the most dangerous thing you can do on the roads, and rental trailers just don't get maintained properly. bad wheel alignment (swaying), brakes not working, no lights, bad tie down points etc etc. Ask frozenwaffles what can happen :(

If you do have to use one, look for one which is obviously new, and keep the speed down (ie stay off the highways)

Wow, doesn't sound good. But the one I had was good. Stable on Freeway speeds too :)

Same. The trailer I had towed straight, brakes worked, tyres had good tread and the shop attendant made sure all the lights worked before I drove away. It also had 4 tie points 2 front 2 back. I was happy with it. Kept to 90 on the F3.

Yeah aim the mirrors down a bit it is helpful...... After a while you forget its there to an extent (Either that or it is actually no longer connected.........Thats bad!) :P

I was lucky as its mostly highway, pennant hills road was the only issue but other than that it was fine :)

Wuss

Try doing Sydney traffic in a truck.

On topic though the last trailer I hired had no brakes and couldn't do over 60 without swaying.

NEVER AGAIN

I just had to hire a trailer to take my car to the shop. I hired on a saturday for 24 hours from an actual shop, not a kiosk at a servo and had Sunday free as the shop was closed on Sun and returned this morning at 8am. It cost $123 with a $100 deposit which I got back. Just make sure you get one with long slide out ramps. Saves time lol. I to towed it with 2.2 turbo diesel Santa Fe. Aside from slow to 60 it did well .

cool, ive got the same model, 2007 Crdi elite desiel turbo. http://www.eurodb.com.au/used-car-Specification/HYUNDAI/SANTA-FE/ELITE-CRDi-(4x4)/2007/H3707G/

specs say 2 tonn braked weight is MAX- say trailer is 750, and the car is 1.5 tonn- thats a fair bit over in my books but will be driving accordingly.

Wuss

Try doing Sydney traffic in a truck.

On topic though the last trailer I hired had no brakes and couldn't do over 60 without swaying.

NEVER AGAIN

haha i done syndey traffic in a truck for 1 1/2 years. not fun. and even more so when you have 5 tonn of steel loaded on the back and people insist on cutting me off like i can stop as quick as your little corolla, Would of been a nice wake up call when ive flatened you. Really made me open my eyes and be much more aware though.