SAU Community

Bakemono Nissan S15 - Build Thread!

Hello everyone.

Picked up a stock standard example of an S15 after looking for several months. It is 100% straight, all original panels and all original paint. There are lots of accident damaged S15's out there unfortunately so it usually takes a while to find a nice one (if you know what you're looking for).

2euk77s.jpg

My main focus is response and handling. The tuning concept for the car is "Bakemono". The build will predominately utilise Japanese parts for authenticity.

The car is being built for a purpose, that is, it will be a sleeper. There will be little focus placed on aesthetics. The car will be left looking relatively stock on the outside so I don't draw attention (attention can be good, but it can also be bad and come from the wrong people).

I've got a stack of parts waiting to be installed, but here is the most recent arrival.

f9gim8.jpg

I have some more stuff in transit from Japan at the moment and some other current inventories.

Will update the thread every so often once things begin progressing.

Here is the first package I received from Japan and the quality of the items is phenomenal.

Especially impressed with the HKS Hipermax III Coilovers, definately worth the money. Unfortunately, I believe they have been discontinued now.

Front set.

2rw71xy.jpg

Rear set.

2zoknpt.jpg

HKS Tool Kit (came with the coilovers). I like how they threw in some zipties haha.

10zst2p.jpg

Rear upper camber arms are the pillow type. For the Rear Toe Adjustor Rods and Tension Rods, I elected to go with the rubber bush type as this car will be predominately street-driven. The rubber bush ends will be quieter and won't wear out as fast, and they have slight play in them due to the flex of the rubber (which is actually ideal for the street).

Rear Toe Adjustor Rods

qxs5sw.jpg

Tension Rods (aka Front Castor Rods).

16jnbdh.jpg

Rear Upper Camber Arms

2lk49vs.jpg

What dump and cat are you going to run Bentji?

I was going to run the HKS GT Extension Kit but Streeter told me it had been discontinued. Would of been ideal as I would have had way more ground clearance. Plus, the design was very good for response.

Instead, I bought a used CES Racing Front/Dump Pipe off a wrecked S15 (had a slight crack near one of the welds, but mechanic said he would weld it and it will be fine).

The mechanic has a contact who makes the hi-flow cats and he recommended I get a 200 cell one.

• 2 weeks later...

This arrived in the mail not long ago....=D

Also, 22 days until I can get my full licence.

Update on the car:

Car has been sitting since the trackday at Wakefield on July 26th, so safe to say all the fuel would be stale by now.

Checked tyre pressures and they're down to 20psi. Brakes still haven't been organised and are metal on metal, so need to get that organised.

Going to DIY the coilovers/alignment arms with a member from JDMST!! This will probably happen sometime in November once I'm finished uni for the year.

Got a CES Front/Dump Pipe lined up and need to get a Hi-Flow Cat

Thought this sticker was lulzy, so I played up the stereotype of S15's being used as drift cars.and I installed it.

2z7exk8.jpg

Tomei N2 Oil Pan

f57tqq.jpg

2cy1vs4.jpg

I like how Tomei has included some English instructions (for people like myself who can't read Japanese)....and two stickers :D

s5kdjl.jpg

2rw02aa.jpg

Hey Benji, Although your car isn't heavily modified so it shouldn't be too much drama try to keep things stealth and no sticker etc.... The cops around here are pretty hard on imports and you don't want any un-necessary attention! Also, the DIY thing will apply to the exhaust, brakes and suspension as it is all pretty straight forward. Like i said, try GSL if you want good brakes at a cheap price, if you are sticking to all name brands i have ENDLESS pads and rotors in my car and they have been nothing but awesome!

Hey Benji, Although your car isn't heavily modified so it shouldn't be too much drama try to keep things stealth and no sticker etc.... The cops around here are pretty hard on imports and you don't want any un-necessary attention! Also, the DIY thing will apply to the exhaust, brakes and suspension as it is all pretty straight forward. Like i said, try GSL if you want good brakes at a cheap price, if you are sticking to all name brands i have ENDLESS pads and rotors in my car and they have been nothing but awesome!

Yeah didn't really think of that....probably not a good idea having that sticker on there (e.g. if a HWP has a look inside the car).

Also, assuming the hi flow cat will be fully flanged up, itd be as simple as just putting bolts in wouldn't it? Or do you have to use sealant as well?

Yeah just been researching brake rotors etc and still weighing up the pros and cons. How are the endless pads and rotors for the price?

Yeah the thing is literally bolt up, really easy to do! Just use new gaskets! You could seal them up but i wouldn't as when it comes time for a clutch change or if you want the exhaust off for some reason it just makes a hassle, just bolt it up nice and tight and it will be fine, they are a direct swap in most cases.

The DBA. RDA etc will all do the job, i have been running stock rear rotors for the entire set of endless pads and the held up fine, the front rotors are endless though..... I would suggest the DBA 4000 series rotor with a decent pad, however i will be trialling the QFM pads as they are cheap and get a solid review!

nice one benji!

quick question, why did you get an S15 and not another S13, and build it up?

Yeah, I got an S15 because I couldn't find another S13 in good condition....finding an S13 that hasn't been bent from an accident is like finding a needle in a haystack.

S13 is definately a more fun, enjoyable car though, providing the condition is good (like my old one). Looks cooler + has more character than a S15 i.m.o

In all honesty, should of looked to import one from Japan, but couldnt be bothered going through the hassle.

Wow! There is some awesome stuff going into this car.

What diff are you running at the moment?

Thanks =).

Just running the stock Helical LSD at the moment.

Might go for a Nismo GT 1.5 way later on down the track, but not necessary yet.

Nice and look forward to seeing your power mods. Go for HKS GT-RS low mount turbo, it is a match in heaven for stock SR20. I used that setup in my last s15 and absolutely loved it and looks nearly original under the bonnet! Here is a photo of it :

225830_10151085217846121_126584171_n.jpg

• Haha 1