SAU Community

Bakemono Nissan S15 - Build Thread!

Well, I'm happy to admit the internet was right. The stock bottom end couldn't handle the EFR or the drag head.

After an enjoyable night at roll racing, a big misfire developed and 4th cylinder spark plug is doused in oil.

Changed spark plugs & 20km's later, same issue and a misfire. I suspect a piston ring is on it's way out & haven't even bothered with a compression test. A budget rebuild was considered but after hearty chats with Piggaz/Micko, I've decided on the royal treatment. In the next few weeks the motor will be removed & will head overseas for the 2.2L treatment, we are talking Carillo Pro-H rods, CP 9.0:1 pistons w/ 0.200" wrist pins, & a billet crank.  The drag head will also get refreshed with solid pivots / 270 procams/ new VCT.

And before anyone tells me my gearbox will explode.....yes, yes it will.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

Well, I'm happy to admit the internet was right. The stock bottom end couldn't handle the EFR or the drag head.

After an enjoyable night at roll racing, a big misfire developed and 4th cylinder spark plug is doused in oil.

Changed spark plugs & 20km's later, same issue and a misfire. I suspect a piston ring is on it's way out & haven't even bothered with a compression test. A budget rebuild was considered but after hearty chats with Piggaz/Micko, I've decided on the royal treatment. In the next few weeks the motor will be removed & will head overseas for the 2.2L treatment, we are talking Carillo Pro-H rods, CP 9.0:1 pistons w/ 0.200" wrist pins, & a billet crank.  The drag head will also get refreshed with solid pivots / 270 procams/ new VCT.

And before anyone tells me my gearbox will explode.....yes, yes it will.

Shame to hear about the bottom end but as expected. 

New build sounds amazing, can't wait to see how it goes :)

Is labour really that different that it offsets the freight on a build like that? 

My original quote and the costs so far at DM have been very reasonable IMO and there's been a fair bit of machine work as the head is built/ported and the bottom end has some custom work in it also. 

That's a question for your builder, they will all have their own opinions and you need to work with one you're comfortable with. Each of those comes in to play at a different point for different reasons imo. 

I have the plazmaman girdle, but did not go 1/2" studs or billet main caps as Dale said I wouldn't need it for this power. The 1/2" studs (for head and bottom end) are a hot topic in terms of the effect they have on the block and the liners (wedging is another topic), again discuss with your builder and the main caps are mainly at risk allowing crank walk at high RPM, which the custom work to the billet and block skirts is meant to eliminate so main caps should not be an issue.

I did go "good" ARP bolts through out, as in L19 or CA625 where applicable, not the standard 2000s. Headstuds are the Mazworks ones (which I think are actually VW studs but just happen to be longer so they bottom out properly) and I opted to go built P12 VVL head (standard size supertech valves, but with the P11 stem size which is stronger and kelford valvetrain - beehive pecaloy springs, titanium retainers, and their VVL cams) and Dale's porting work on it. 

Of the people I have spoken to about DM who run his engines/have him do their work they all seem to be happy customers and I was encouraged by some of the data he shared with me from Nismo about how to keep SRs alive for extended circuit conditions, as in the little tricks/changes they make (which came with the Super GT S15 he had).

Keep in mind the race series has restrictions that do not allow certain mods (like billet strokers) so some of that work might not be required for your 2.2L and tech has moved on plus I was not building for all out power, I wanted a wide power range and a decent service life. I'm only aiming for max 450rwkw which I'll only use for short stints, like hot lap/PB attempts etc and will likely run it at 350-400rwkw mostly depending on what I do with tyres/brakes. The engine is "apparently" good for 500rwkw, but the harder you work it the shorter the life span, there's only 4 cylinders and 2L to work with and I am not keen on regular rebuilds. 

I remember Dale wanting to me to hunt around for the last red top (with black rocker covers from a 180sx) or was it the last blacktop? Either way the main caps in those are the "best" factory ones so that's what I sourced. Naturally, billet caps are better again and PRP (working with Dale) have a one piece girdle/main caps combo now which didn't exist when I bought my shit (and all my shit has already been machined). I'm not sure how S15 blocks stack up and take all of this with grain of salt because I am yet to receive the engine and use it... 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well - It turns out ordering a wet oil pump really was a facepalm moment. I won't embarass myself going into details, but yes, that wet oil pump won't be needed.

Months later I'm continuing to annoy the hell out of two blokes who got this build off the scenic route years ago & onto the Autobarn expressway, and now we are squeezing the throttle as we come onto boost with "The Badger".

After a 5 month search, finally found VVL exhaust rocker arms. S13 Block & X-Trail GT head are paid for.

The rundown is:

2.2L Sleeved block. Liners will be copper. The crank caps will be billet. A block brace was most certainly avoided.

It's getting Carillo Pro H beam rods and custom CP gas ported pistons. Wrist pins will be thick wall. 

Valves are getting oversized and the valve seat rings are copping the NASCAR treatment, no, they won't be berrylium, it'll be the secret sauce that E85 won't eat for breakfast.....

My next post will be when the engine build kicks off & gets underway.....

Sounds like fun :D, but I'm a bit confused about the head.

Given the X-trail head is just a standard P12 missing VVL on one side, why spend 5mths searching for parts for it when you can just buy a P12 head and be done with it?

Unless you are intending on using the factory X-trail cam because it's slightly better for turbo setup? 

Cam gears + VVL? I reckon you'd be hard pressed to lose any notable response. It's still only a 4cyl in the end though. 

Will be interesting to see how our graphs compare as I went the Kelford VVL cams but don't have the displacement increase. Different intended usage though I guess and I assume you will be going for more power than I need for track work. 

On 7/13/2021 at 11:18 AM, ActionDan said:

Cam gears + VVL? I reckon you'd be hard pressed to lose any notable response. It's still only a 4cyl in the end though. 

Will be interesting to see how our graphs compare as I went the Kelford VVL cams but don't have the displacement increase. Different intended usage though I guess and I assume you will be going for more power than I need for track work. 

I think it'll be a very interesting comparison between our motors... my aim is around the 435rwkw with bulldog response. Have you decided on turbo yet?

I'll be running a reinforced DET timing chain as there is some stories floating around of the P12 timing chain snapping. 

You can actually buy a VCT conversion front cover for the SR20VE motor now, meaning you'd have both VCT and VVL. This really would bring an SR into V8 response territory. I'd imagine custom cams would be needed & then the whole issue as to whether VCT would start rattling led me to abandoning the idea.

Interesting, I expected your goal to be higher, but we have gone about some things differently and are using them for different things. 

We have similar power goals it seems, though my upper limit of 450rwkw will not be what I'm aiming to use at all times on the track, the motor should supposedly be good for more, but I am all about building and using for longevity. 

I guess it’s wait & see. I think 430kw plus a sequential is the same as a 530kw h pattern car.  

CD009 6 speed would of been ideal but don’t fancy belting the transmission tunnel or having the transmission hang below chassis rails.

Im planning for mine to be an all rounder , mainly street with a thorough dash of circuit and occaisonal roll racing. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...