SAU Community

Ryno's R32... Over A Decade And Counting

Ryno

1 hour ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Edit just read that it's a 45mm hypergate. I was thinking internal gate. Something fuccy is going on with the wastegate still to have that happen. How is the gate positioned on the manifold?

I could be wrong but to me it looks like a pretty good size/position of the wastegate pipe

CE053B62-9823-43D7-BD94-32E2345EC1EB.jpeg

Yeah my manifold is the same and I certainly haven’t experienced the same issues you have described. 
I changed turbos last year to a GTX3071R (from the HKS GT-RS) but didn’t change the manifold or wastegate setup, and have had no boost control issues with either turbo.

When I pulled the springs out of the gate before I re installed it I pushed the piston completely open to make sure like you said the gate was opening completely and that’s when it hit 14psi around 4000-5000rpm..

I would think maybe it needs a bigger wastegate but it’s got me baffled as Ryno is controlling boost beautiful on a smaller gate than mine. Major wtf..

Also out of respect for Ryno I’m happy to make a new thread rather than hijacking his, I just thought putting it here would show how well this manifold is obviously able to work on a similar set up (after receiving some feedback from people external to SAU that it must be too restrictive etc)

9 minutes ago, Ryno said:

I’m fine with the discussion mate, hope you can workout what’s going on.

Thanks very much mate I appreciate that, after seeing your awesome results I’m super keen to see how responsive I can make my ATR45

Yeah unfortunately my HKS GT-RS expired last year after I got some head work done. I think the extra flow was too much for the old girl.

At the time the best value option For replacement was a Arashi GTX3071R. It goes well, but is definitely not quite as responsive as the old GT-RS.

15594881-EBB5-4E27-92A5-351504452EA9.jpeg

4AA5493A-7E14-4E3B-B380-F08FF353ECD7.jpeg

• Like 1

I haven’t hit the dyno with it yet. I tuned it myself with the Power FC hand controller as I have a wide band sensor permanently wired in. I should get it on there, just haven’t found the time.

I’ve made a few more changes to the car over the last few years...

Some suspension arms upgrades, rear cradle mods and GKTECH front hubs.

I ditched the standard Radiator clutch fan to an electric fan (this improved my fuel economy by around 0.5 to 1 liter per 100kms).

i upgraded the alternator (again!)... this time to an new LS1 140 Amp unit.

I also swapped out the head unit (for the 4th time since I’ve had the car) to a Alpine HALO 9 head unit (which I can’t recommend highly enough!).

Externally the car looks the same.

8E83015D-DBEE-47B0-82A8-14B8018300D1.jpeg

A71A1FD3-EA08-4EEB-BB6E-F6A6E41A6A2E.jpeg

40023B9B-1891-4BF2-80CA-D9B9ED638FE2.jpeg

• Like 1

No dramas at all, when you do get it on the dyno I’d love to see the results ?

Looks like you’ve been busy with the upgrades, would be a great car to drive! I’m looking into an LS alternator upgrade at some stage also, I think it’s overkill for my car currently but I figured if I’m going to replace it with a new one I might as well future proof it, plus the genuine items are really good quality

What type/size exhaust are you running Ryno? I’m starting to think maybe mine might be a contributor to my boost creep issues as it is very free flowing (3.5” dump, 100 cell venom cat, 3” cat back with one straight through muffler)

My exhaust is similar (I also have a Venom Cat) but I only have a 3” dump. I doubt the exhaust is the issue, as if the wastegate is doing it’s job it should always be the path of less resistance, rather than going through the turbine.

It’ll be loud, but I’d be tempted to give it a run with the wastegate removed to see what boost is produced. Just limit it to one pull to make sure the hot exhaust gases don’t damage the engine bay.

Then you’ll know for sure whether it is the wastegate or something else.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation Ryno that was actually my next move was going run it up once with no gate at all. So I think that’s a job I’ll be doing very soon.

I could be wrong as this is just my own theory after having a long think, But would a big and free flowing exhaust contribute in the sense that there is little restriction/back pressure? So rather than exhaust being able to divert out of the wastegate it is simply flowing through the turbine as this would be the path of least resistance? So in theory if I was to fit a restrictive exhaust the pressure in the manifold would be greater (as gasses can’t escape easily) and therefore have a better chance of flowing out the wastegate?

Again this is all theory so anyone with opinions for or against don’t be shy to chime in!

2 minutes ago, DaymoR32 said:

Been looking at that headunit myself! was going to mount in the same configuration you have there but was worried it may hit the dash! glad to see it fits!

It just fits, the top right corner just touch’s. However I like that it does as it further prevents any vibration from the display.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryno said:

It just fits, the top right corner just touch’s. However I like that it does as it further prevents any vibration from the display.

good to know, does it need loads of funky adapters to connect to amps and such? or is it just like a normal headunit at the back?

2 minutes ago, DaymoR32 said:

good to know, does it need loads of funky adapters to connect to amps and such? or is it just like a normal headunit at the back?

It’s very normal. It was a straight swap from my previous head unit.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to come back with an update for all those who gave their input and advice, it’s very much appreciated. And of course Ryno for allowing the chat to happen!

Since upsizing to a 50mm gate and plumbing it back in, I’m holding a minimum of around 17-18psi. Making pretty much bang on 300rwkw at that amount of boost which seems typical of that turbo, so that’s something.

For the moment just enjoying the car while deciding if I will leave it that way, or move the gate to the turbine housing. Personally not a big fan of how that looks but would like to keep the boost a bit lower at times, like track days. 

In response to Ben the timing is around 18° I believe my tuner said.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the input 👍

Good to hear you resolved the issue mate. 

Since my last posts, I have been continuing to improve the tune but haven’t had it on a dyno. 

I’ve swapped the front hubs to GK Tech ones, in hindsight it’s a change that has pro’s and cons (in a street car). The improved front roll center has definitely increased the grip at the front of the car, so much so that I’ve stiffened the front sway bar fully and removed the rear sway bar to fix the balance and stop mid corner oversteer. The drawback is the tyres scrubbing at high lock angles due to the change in Ackerman, this is particularly frustrating when parking the car at low speeds.