SAU Community

M35 Coolant Bypass Kit

scotty nm35

I have been testing a few of my bypass kits out on my car, Cam's PM35 and a turbo V35, all showing good results. Hopefully Cam can add his logging data to the thread later.

It consists essentially of a hose connecting the block to the coolant return line back to the radiator via the heater hose. I decided to fix the air bleeding issue at the same time, with a ball valve for easy filling and purging. I was hoping to make up some funnels to screw into the ball valve also but they aren't really required. The pushlock fittings aren't cheap and I still need to get quotes for the laser cut alloy block plates so I have no firm pricing as yet, but I need to gauge interest as I don't want to get many more than I need cut.

From my testing this kit makes filling the coolant simple, just top up the radiator, start the car, then fill through the ball valve. One closed it seals the system but allows simple air bleeding as required.

It allows more coolant to circulate through the radiator, keeping temps much more stable. I have done a few track days recently and although the temps rose it was much less than I would usually see, and the stock radiator I am using was coping well. (shame the gearbox didn't stay as cool.) On the dyno the coolant temps were more stable and when pushed it would rise, then drop back to normal straight away making the tuner more confident with multiple high power runs. I feel a larger radiator would still help keep the track temps under more control.

Here are a few instal pics, the hose will require heat shielding from the exhaust as you can see.

post-63525-0-19752600-1349448718_thumb.jpg

post-63525-0-35233700-1349448738_thumb.jpg

post-63525-0-40611300-1349448759_thumb.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you lot don't take me seriously lol.. But this is seriously something a lot of you should be getting on to. Especially after seeing what the little bottle like thing looks like on the head..

I know you lot don't take me seriously lol.. But this is seriously something a lot of you should be getting on to. Especially after seeing what the little bottle like thing looks like on the head..

And you sell it so well.

Why did you have a bottle on your head?

No timeframe as I have no time. lol.

I need to get the plates laser cut, once that is done the rest is fairly straightforward to make. I might do a small run of 10 for now and see how I go. I'm guessing around the $250 mark for the complete kit, hopefully less if I can get some better pricing. Obviously buying in bulk would be smarter too. Anyone got contacts at proflow? :)

No timeframe as I have no time. lol.

Tease! :nyaanyaa:

I need to get the plates laser cut, once that is done the rest is fairly straightforward to make. I might do a small run of 10 for now and see how I go. I'm guessing around the $250 mark for the complete kit, hopefully less if I can get some better pricing. Obviously buying in bulk would be smarter too. Anyone got contacts at proflow? :)

Sounds fine, I'm down for one. Let me know when you've worked out firm pricing etc. Good chance to chuck in the Nismo thermostat at the same time.

The Nismo thermostat is a 5 minute job, this kit will take a few hours Ryan. The injector rail and lower plenum will have to come off. Not a difficult job but time consuming.

I can make one and send it over if you want it soon, I think I have enough parts. Are you able to take some pics and write up an install guide to help out the other guys? I can work you through it on the phone.

Didn't Cam take enough photos for install guide?

The time it takes to complete the job is rewarded, coolant temps are very stable and the fact that you don't have to tip your car upside down to bleed the cooling system makes it worthwhile

I might do a small run of 10 for now and see how I go. I'm guessing around the $250 mark for the complete kit, hopefully less if I can get some better pricing. Obviously buying in bulk would be smarter too. Anyone got contacts at proflow? :)

Check out http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/index.php. I had a quick look & couldn't see weld on fittings, but maybe there is a way around by being creative? Prices look good compared to other suppliers & a decent order (for 10 people) should only add $5 for each person.

N/A if they don't have the bits you need, but possible source for other projects perhaps.

They only seem to sell teflon hose connections Leon, I have this hose but it is more expensive and also not very flexible. It also has a lower recommended heat rating. I think the rubber hose with pushlock fittings is a better way to go.

They only seem to sell teflon hose connections Leon, I have this hose but it is more expensive and also not very flexible. It also has a lower recommended heat rating. I think the rubber hose with pushlock fittings is a better way to go.

I agree, rubber hose is better for this situation. Sorry, I didn't look very hard at what they sold.

Edited by Commsman