SAU Community

Hks V-Cam & Link G4? Yes We Can! Thanks Again To Chequered Tuning

Well it all comes down to how many extra/unusual things you want to do.  The ECU, any ECU, only has so many pins available for direct connection stuff.  So if you want to have 2x O2 sensors and multiple this and some of that and PID control of a cam position or two, you will at some point have to shunt some of it off to other interface boxes and connect that via serial comms.  If you only want to do one of those things, then, yeah, straight off the ECU shouldn't be a problem.

4 hours ago, Mick_o said:

Bout time their premium ecu done something that didn't require another additional cost or box to mount and wire up! 

Correct me if im wrong but even the plug and play haltech for GTR requires an add on box for factory oxygen sensors? 

Yes you’re wrong, an additional box isnt required to run any factory sensor. An extra box is required to run a wide band though 

5 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Yes you’re wrong

To add to that - this thread goes back years when someone got Vcam working on a Link without using any extra hardware, the Emtron isn't doing anything new here.  Links have been doing this kind of cam control - including on Vcam since the G4 series came out.

Edited by Lithium

I have an elite in my car and the only additional box I have is the wide band, I also have flex fuel, vcam and crank trigger running through the the elite with plenty of extra spare inputs and outputs 

21 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

I have an elite in my car and the only additional box I have is the wide band, I also have flex fuel, vcam and crank trigger running through the the elite with plenty of extra spare inputs and outputs 

Not to mention you can actually can run a wideband such as an Innovate or AEM or PLX, etc.. and ditch the Haltech wideband box.

It's the misinformation and the uninformed that keep saying Haltech is shit or it needs all these boxes, etc.

Yes the Haltech Platinum Pro may have needed a box if you needed more inputs - however most didn't realise you could get away with just the auxiliary harness and skip the I/O box. Also yes Haltech E6X and E8X were hated upon many tuners, but that was over a decade ago - Haltech has come a very long way since then so tuners who tell customer they charge a Haltech tax should really be reassessing what they're saying.

The Elite series addresses all the short comings the older generations of the Haltechs had. Not to mention their tuning SW GUI is very intuitive and easy on the eyes. FWIW, I don't even own a Haltech myself, I just install/tune them on mate's car.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/21/2018 at 11:46 AM, Mick_o said:

Bout time their premium ecu done something that didn't require another additional cost or box to mount and wire up! 

Correct me if im wrong but even the plug and play haltech for GTR requires an add on box for factory oxygen sensors? 

I had the 2500 Elite Pro to run the Vcam , to replace the Haltech R34GTR Platinum Pro as  would not do the what I was going to do with my car without add ons , sold them and put the Emtron KV8 in. :)