SAU Community

2013 V8 Supercar Series

Whiplash

Whiplash do you know if Erebus are using the pace innovations chassis or are they using a team accredited chassis from someone else?

My understanding is SBR were an accredited "manufacturer" but don't hold me to that, hard barely anything to do with anything under the skin

pretty good showing by the datto's for day 1. 5th overall, 0.5 off 1st, and hopefully show's they'll be in the mix.

Loving the sound of the Mercs, but have they left it too late?? Best Merc was 2secs off the pace. I think around 15th out of 25 cars.

I don't think anyone has seen FPR or 888's full hand as yet. Nice showing by loundes but the two teams with the most COTF testing and building experience also have the largest stakes on the table come championship time.

A car that fundamentally has more front end grip and basically the same drive characteristics won't be that hard to adapt to.

Will Davidson called for a 30min shoot out with a substantial prize last week. Something that was ignored by the rest of pit lane.

I think yesterday the top teams were just waiting to see who would go balls out first but no one did so they all kept reins on the cars.

Mercedes sounds nice. Might be enough to get me to watch this year. NIssans sound better then the Fords and Holdens as well

I agree with this 100% and will definitely be tuning in where possible. Best looking car on the grid is the Irwin Tools AMG in my opinion.

The AMGs sound different due to them running a flat plane crank (or so I've been told). Think Ferrari 458 V8 vs SLS AMG V8...two completely different sounding motors.

more shameless Erebus Promotion from me... cannot wait to hear this in the concrete jungle at clipsal!

Yeah it is an amazing revelation that a race engine under power sounds better than one just trundling down the straight. But ignoring the crap comparison the Merc does sound good.

• 2 weeks later...

i watch the v8 supercars now. i will watch them next year. i'm not going to suddenly start barracking for nissan though, because i can't stand rick kelly. i also doubt they will be at the pointy end of the field. they'll be mid pack like they are now. if they can't be at the pointy end of the field with existing technology, they are going to struggle with all new stuff, even with nissan helping them. at the end of the day, it is still their (kelly brothers) engineers who have to set the cars up on race day, and the drivers have to give them the right feedback as to what they want.

so it will still be FPR and 888 at the pointy end, possibly HRT as well, and SBR will be making up the top 10 i think.

just thought i'd bump my post from october. i should point out that at the time of that post i didn't know about SBR going to merc. other than that, my prediction was pretty much right. after qualifying the nissans were in 13th and 14th, but that was the kelly brothers cars (technically their cars, but not the ones they were driving). they were down in 17th (todd) and 19th (rick). sadly, the mercs were even further back, but they had a few issues. but as i predicted, redbull/888 were both in the top 5, with 2 of their customers cars in the top 6 (including being on pole), FPR both in the top 10 (2nd and 7th). HRT also had a car in the top 10, and GRM had 2 cars in the top 10 as well.

interestingly, there is only 6 fords in the field of 28, 4 nissans, 3 mercs and the remaining 15 cars are holdens.

Hasn't spun a bearing, but looks like they had the same guy design the oil system that designed the oil system from the rb26. Only this time he didn't want starvation issues, so he made it pump oil out the exhaust.....