SAU Community

2013 V8 Supercar Series

Whiplash

I highly doubt I'm the only one who has that opinion of the old group A racing. In fact their is a post agreeing with me just below mine.

People really do need to move on from 1992

I was at Bathurst when the R32 debuted and was blown away.All my mates back then loved the V8s and i copped heaps of crap for liking the skyline.But i love ALL fast cars and was just so impressed by it!But times change and V8 supercars is what we have.Fans love to see action,overtaking and just a good show in general,and i admit the show is good.Parramatta Speedway sprintcars are a great spectacle to watch,all the same cars,but great to watch!This is the way it is guys.We have the production car and GT series as well,so watch and support that if you hate supercars.Im just so happy we have a smorgasboard of motorsport in Australia.Makes me laugh when someone says i love drags but hate formula1,guys its all motorsport,not bloody golf or some boring sport.Formula1,nascars,indy,supercars,lemans.top fuel,speedway,go karts,hillclimb,track days,ALL GREAT.Sometimes i think we are spoiled.Enjoy and more important support ALL forms of motorsport,its in our blood,and keep the show going.Thats just my opinoin,Cheers

I highly doubt I'm the only one who has that opinion of the old group A racing. In fact their is a post agreeing with me just below mine.

People really do need to move on from 1992

To be fair that comment was mine. And I am an idiot.

I remember watching the SATCC round from Wanneroo in 1992. All 12 entrants. Awesome.

The size of the industry now is massively bigger than 20 years ago. The quality of the cars is massively better than ever. The professionalism is much higher than 20 years ago. In every measurable way the whole scene is better than it was. The only loss is having homologated road cars and that has long since not been viable. Not for circuit racing, not for rallying either.

Alot of people want to be able to watch a race and say "That's my car" and sorry guys but V8SC is not that, not by a long shot.
V8SC is good in it's own right.

To be fair that comment was mine. And I am an idiot.

I remember watching the SATCC round from Wanneroo in 1992. All 12 entrants. Awesome.

The size of the industry now is massively bigger than 20 years ago. The quality of the cars is massively better than ever. The professionalism is much higher than 20 years ago. In every measurable way the whole scene is better than it was. The only loss is having homologated road cars and that has long since not been viable. Not for circuit racing, not for rallying either.

Alot of people want to be able to watch a race and say "That's my car" and sorry guys but V8SC is not that, not by a long shot.

V8SC is good in it's own right.

When could you ever watch Group A racing and say there is my car? The Sierra was never sold here. The R31 GTSR - that was never sold here. The R32 GTR that sold all of 100 units (if that) most of which slunk out the door after Group A was over. The M3 that was never sold here? The various iterations of Group A Commodore - the last of which, the VN, they stopped making because they couldn't shift the 500 units necessary for homolgation? The endless array of Corollas - most of which you couldnt get here in the body shape let alone the engines etc. And that is before you get to the homolgated 180's, Starions, Maserati BiTurbos, Jaguars, Alfa Romeos, Supra's etc etc etc that no one really cared about.

The biggest (popularist) criticism of Group A at the time was that the cars didnt reflect what the public could buy.

If you want to see common or garden variety cars you should go and watch IPRA and/or production car rounds. Which no one does.

Group A sucked. The parity was terrible. The gtr was designed from the ground up to win group a, unlike the others that were cars designed to sell. Not to mention the gtr costing twice as much to buy as anything else it was racing. it's closest competitor on the track was in a different class, so had smaller tyres, etc.

There will never be a category like group a again, which is a good thing.

I joined this site as I thought is was for Nissan GTS/GTR owners that I could share experiences/information with, had I known it was full of a bunch of hostile twonks that hate Group A and seemingly gtr's(maybe you forget without group A your Fords and Chevs may not be racing as supercars now) then I wouldn't have bothered. You all need to understand that a post count does not mean superiority and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have a Holden and a Nissan and at the end of the day my Holden isn't in the same league as my Nissan and could not even wipe the nissans ass. That is my opinion so eat it!

It is for GTR and skyline owners.

I've owned over 15 of them in 10 years.......

When I locked up tonight there was 14 cars in my workshop, 8 of them are Skylines, 7 of those are seriously high end preped Motorsport cars.

I wouldn't say I hate them at all. On the contrary infact.

It's people who think group A is some sort of mystical god category that was the only one worth watching that annoys me.

People who race GTR's now will even tell you that they are racing the wrong car compared to the rest of the grid. They do it because they enjoy the car and are passionate about them.

Personally I didn't have enough time to keep fixing mine and bought a Supercar instead.....

I joined this site as I thought is was for Nissan GTS/GTR owners that I could share experiences/information with, had I known it was full of a bunch of hostile twonks that hate Group A and seemingly gtr's(maybe you forget without group A your Fords and Chevs may not be racing as supercars now) then I wouldn't have bothered. You all need to understand that a post count does not mean superiority and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have a Holden and a Nissan and at the end of the day my Holden isn't in the same league as my Nissan and could not even wipe the nissans ass. That is my opinion so eat it!

Let me guess, you are one of those people who are of the belief that v8 supercars was formed to ban the gtr, when this isn't true. as has already been stated in this thread, group a was already being phased out world wide (it was dead in the uk before the gtr even went into production). Australia was one of the last countries to still use the group a format. Australian motorsport often gets criticised for being behind the times, but had it been up with the times in the early 90's then we wouldn't be discussing the gtr in this thread.

As for my like or dislike if the gtr, that isn't what is being discussed here. I'm merely pointing out that while the gtr was dominant when it raced, it wasn't as simple as many fanbois would like to think. The road car was twice the price of the commodore it was racing and i believe the race team's budget was much higher than everyone else. So basically, it should've won.

I'm not debating that Group A ended for good reason as I was wrong about the GTR's being banned, I was 9 years old at the time and remember little about the politics going on in the series. People can like supercars or live in the past as I am, I respect the fact you have a workshop with many nice cars and am not here to be a punk as I would kill for that lifestyle around cars even with the work involved. MAD02 your use of the word "fanbois"is mildly offensive and yet you don't realise you are a "fanbois"of using the word "fanbois".Good points though.

supercar racing is as close to communism as you can get in motorsport. competitors forced in to a collective car and if you have an engine that is capable of outdoing the opposition you will be restrictied to force you back to the level (read communist) playing field.

Fortunately the future isnt all about this batshit boring form of racing. the burgeoning gt class and the refound love of production car racing portends a happier future for the true motorsport fan.

Wether the gtr was banned or not it was instrumental in the demise of group A. Instead of competitors having to step up to the plate the powers that be scrapped the whole deal in favor of mum and dad racing.

I look forward to the day when taxi racing is the sideshow and the more exciting form of motorsport takes its place at the helm of racing.

You make it sound like v8 supercars are the only category to have extremely strict engine regs, etc, to make the playing field level. Every major racing category around the world has strict regulations to make the racing as close as possible.

Yes it is prevelant in most forms of motorsport these days but thankfully the car/chassis design is a lot more open.

V8 supercars ( the worst name ever) are big heavy slow buckets compared to gt racing and even euro touring cars. Watching them wield those mostrositys around adelaide last weekend makes one realise how restricted and prehistoric they really are.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the "stonner show" from last weekend

Hats off to the guy for having a go. I personally think he could go far. The cars are difficult to drive and his adapted reasonably quickly.

The top level bike guys have natural ability, it doesn't take them that long to adapt to 4 wheels. Stoner is in a lot better position than Gardner was 20 years ago, as he's got the development series to hone his skills. Gardner got thrown straight into the main game.

Gardner did have moments of glory but in general the captain chaos title suits him well.

He should have stuck with HRT and had a decent car instead of the leased buckets from Perkins he was trying to run.

Stonner has stepped into an ex Bathurst winning 888 chassis that should be at the front of DVS.

I do feel for the other guys in DVS that work their arses off to make it there and have had the TV exposure etc taken from them. That's motorsport though.

Are the DVS cars still a relivent stepping stone to the main game with the new cars? I notice Luff and Purcat are in Porsche Cup this year, and I remember Skaife saying this years cars drove more like Porsche Cup cars

The dvs is still a decent stepping stone in the respect that he will get to learn the tracks and get a general feel for the v8's power, etc.

And yeah, other motto guys have done well in cars with limited track time. Mick doohan did a test in a ferrari (i think) back in the day and did ok. I vaguely recall reading that he actually had a faster top speed at the end if the straight than the actual f1 driver