SAU Community

C34 Stagea Bonnet Struts

RS4StagMan

I couldn't find specific information on where to source replacement FRONT bonnet struts in Victoria, so I am posting this to help somebody else out.

I found some following info here:

http://www.skylinesa...s-struts-in-wa/

WC34 Stagea Bonnet Struts

400mm long

370 newtons

Clip on angled ball , 10mm, both ends.

I just recently bought replacements which were Nissan Maxima 1995-1999. I got a few quotes to regass them locally and they were $100+ for the pair, so opted for some new ones.

I got mine from Auto and Industrial Gas Struts, pdf attached and link to Ebay Store. Price was $48 + $7.50 postage with metal ends like original, not cheaper plastic ends.

http://stores.ebay.c...sid=p4340.l2563

I asked some questions and this was their reply;

We know about Stagea import bonnet struts. Patrols are close , but slightly longer but only 340n, Maxima's are slightly different in shaft length etc

but work because they have the correct offset end on one end but they are stronger at 410n.

Apologies if already covered elsewhere, I did a search and couldnt find anything conclusive. Hope this helps somebody out.

Nissan Maxima Stagea Bonnett Struts Ebay.pdf

post-38455-0-34932100-1352095194_thumb.jpg

Edited by RS4StagMan

I think I did post up somewhere, but I also recently put maxima struts in mine...working well.

the rear is not so easy, I had to get my old ones regassed

That search engine is doing funny things.....

You did post that up Duncan you are right.....

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/231951-bonnet-strut-part-numbers/page__p__4074895__hl__bonnet%20strut__fromsearch__1#entry4074895

I fitted them up and they fit perfect, 12mm open end spanner and 10 mins. They had "gassprings.com" and "410N" written on them.

What did the rears cost to regass?

yeah sorry I can't remeber an exact price but it was very reasonable...and better than the damn boot slamming every time I closed it :) under $100 from memory, so brand new ones for the bonnet are about half the price.

I am pretty sure the boot ones don't interchange with anything else, they are very specific to their mounting in the boot. Also, Nissan no longer have stock of them so regassing is the only option

yeah sorry I can't remeber an exact price but it was very reasonable...and better than the damn boot slamming every time I closed it :) under $100 from memory, so brand new ones for the bonnet are about half the price.

I am pretty sure the boot ones don't interchange with anything else, they are very specific to their mounting in the boot. Also, Nissan no longer have stock of them so regassing is the only option

Did you need particular info on how strong the struts have to be?

• 5 years later...

Hello @RS4StagMan

Sorry for the update to an old post, but probably better than creating a new one... Maybe you can add this to your original post?

The rear boot struts are 700n for my 2000 RS4.

At least that's the pressure I had them regassed to and it opens the boot nicely.

(Initially tried regassed to 600n and it was a tiny bit better than before I had them regassed, but it wouldn't open the full way without help in the final extension. I guess that shows they loose around 100n in 15 years? Not sure how many opens that would be... But interesting for me at least. ??

Ian at Struts W.A in Perth is great if anyone is after a regas. Much cheaper than new struts! (Assuming you're aren't bent of have lots of nicks on the pipe this is an option).

He also supplied new front struts for my bonnet and pressured them to 400n. (My old ones were damaged and couldn't be regassed reliably)

Gif attached of it working.

Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20180726090712.gif

Edited by jamesnorman93
Details of 600n attempt.

I just bought two second-hand pairs of struts, one pair each for the bonnet and boot, from SSS Automotive in Girraween (NSW).  Hopefully they’re still in decent enough condition.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:06 AM, GoldZilla said:

I just bought two second-hand pairs of struts, one pair each for the bonnet and boot, from SSS Automotive in Girraween (NSW).  Hopefully they’re still in decent enough condition.

For the bonnet at least, the generic ebay maxima ones are easy to find, drop right in and they work well. I must have replaced mine circa 2012 and they still hold the bonnet up very firmly.

The problem is the boot. Now that I have a good idea of the force, I remember trolling ebay years ago and finding a whole host of generic struts with various attachments on either end. So, on one end look for a ball mount, and on the other, it will require a bit of creativity to mount it to the tailgate.