SAU Community

Which Coolant

Philr32

So looking at putting coolant my skyline because it getting hot when using only water (coolant leaked then I replaced it with water, hence the heating issue, as there was no issues before when I was running coolant).

Can someone recommend a coolant they have used or a coolant you would advise NOT to use. I have heard organic coolant is good, you basically buy a small bottle then add it to the water in your radiator, anyone used this? I believe it's similar but a bit different to antifreeze/antiboil. Any ideas suggestion advice etc is appreciated, cheers!

I use Genuine Subaru (Castrol) Anti-Freeze/Boil coolant. Only cause I get them free ;)

I wouldn't use cheap $5 coolant from Supercheap. From my general knowledge, if you use a coolant that isn't antiboil rated, what happens if it boils? it creates pressure and could crack your rad. I could be wrong, but just my opinion. Just use a decent Castrol Anti Freeze/Boil coolant and you'll be fine.

Thanks everyone. I've noticed it's been "using" water (I fill up the water then after a while of driving I notice the temp goes up and check the radiator and it's quite low, it's happened twice now, first time I thought I didn't fill it up enough and there was air bubbles). I can't see any leeks anywhere even when it's hot. At first I thought because it was only water not coolant it was evaporating once hot (maybe out of the radiator cap as it was hissing when the car gets hot) but that's not even possible is it? Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks everyone. I've noticed it's been "using" water (I fill up the water then after a while of driving I notice the temp goes up and check the radiator and it's quite low, it's happened twice now, first time I thought I didn't fill it up enough and there was air bubbles). I can't see any leeks anywhere even when it's hot. At first I thought because it was only water not coolant it was evaporating once hot (maybe out of the radiator cap as it was hissing when the car gets hot) but that's not even possible is it? Any ideas on what it could be?

I've also been told not to use water since it can create rust or algae (in the reservoir) in extreme circumstances, UNLESS it's distilled water. But then again, just don't use it. We have coolant for a reason.

Did you do a proper bleed? If not there may be air bubbles sitting at the high points of the motor. if you drain the coolant completely, it would take about 7.5 Liters (well for my RB25DE Neo in R34 does anyway) to fill it up. If you did a proper bleed then your radiator most likely has hairline cracks in it and only leaks when your driving at 60KM + when coolant is heated up, creates pressure and forces the hairline crack open and seeps out. Doesn't do it when its idle or off since its cooler then and less pressure.

It happened to me before and I changed the rad, no problems anymore

Nissan long life coolant can't go wrong

^^ this ! nissan LLC is in concentrated form when you buy it from nissan, when you add the recommended amount of distilled water to it it works out to be good value too

Awesome I'm gonna try the bleeding the water/coolant too, didn't know there was the bleed valve near the plenum lol, I'm also gonna run the heater. Maybe a dumb question but does autobarn or supercheap sell nissan LLC? Or am I gonna have to go to nissan?

My stock HCR32 was filled with water when I got it, don't know how long it was in there, but it didn't have any effect on engine temperature, has never been over 85 C and that's while monitoring through consult whist going for a thrash. Have since drained and replaced with the Nissan coolant and temps are the same.

I was always told. Most 'coolants' are actually an anti freeze(ethylene glycol) and lower the boiling temperature of water. In warmer climates you can get away with just running distilled water and a corrosion inhibitor

My stock HCR32 was filled with water when I got it, don't know how long it was in there, but it didn't have any effect on engine temperature, has never been over 85 C and that's while monitoring through consult whist going for a thrash. Have since drained and replaced with the Nissan coolant and temps are the same.

Plenty of people run pure water with no issues.

Nissan LLC can be bought from any Nissan dealership that has a service centre they should all stock it find the closest one to you give them a call to make sure they have it and go pick it up. Your looking at around 5L $58

im surprised people run just water and havent had too many problems.

Water boils, then evaporates, thats one of the reasons of coolant its anti-freeze and anti-boil

Doesnt freeze over at cool temps and Doesnt boil like a kettle at hot temps

For a few bucks, it gives you peace of mind.

I was always told. Most 'coolants' are actually an anti freeze(ethylene glycol) and lower the boiling temperature of water. In warmer climates you can get away with just running distilled water and a corrosion inhibitor

I have been doing this for years with no issues, its only like $6 for the inhibitor too! Apparently ethylene glycol can catch fire if you have a high content mix and it sprays over a hot exhaust manifold or similar..

im surprised people run just water and havent had too many problems.

Water boils, then evaporates, thats one of the reasons of coolant its anti-freeze and anti-boil

Doesnt freeze over at cool temps and Doesnt boil like a kettle at hot temps

For a few bucks, it gives you peace of mind.

You water temp. would only sit around the 80 degree area anyway. Even if the water temp. reaches 100 degrees the pressure in the cooling system raises the boiling point.

This is why it's important to replace old radiator caps that don't hold the right pressure anymore.

^^^i would be suprised if this was the case for long. . .even distilled water will cause corrosion/ironise on an iron block RB

Do a bit if searching on the forum, it's been talked about plenty if times.

And as for temp issues, no there is no temp issues running just water. As said by someone else, the increased pressure in the system raises the boiling point. Generally cars run about 1 bar of pressue in the system, meaning the boiling point if water is over 120 degrees.

. The majority of coolants are only corrosion inhibitiors, and sometimes anti-freeze. You can still boil the coolant at about 100 degrees if you have a faulty cap.

Do a bit if searching on the forum, it's been talked about plenty if times.

And as for temp issues, no there is no temp issues running just water. As said by someone else, the increased pressure in the system raises the boiling point. Generally cars run about 1 bar of pressue in the system, meaning the boiling point if water is over 120 degrees.

. The majority of coolants are only corrosion inhibitiors, and sometimes anti-freeze. You can still boil the coolant at about 100 degrees if you have a faulty cap.

No doubt it has been "talked about" i tried running (only)distilled water in my rb and a week later it started to go brown, no doubt corrosion between the iron block and the water hence why corrosion inhibitors are used by the factory, if they could get away without the expense/necessity of using it they would

I have been doing this for years with no issues, its only like $6 for the inhibitor too! Apparently ethylene glycol can catch fire if you have a high content mix and it sprays over a hot exhaust manifold or similar..

Its smokey and the distinctive smell of burning coolant goes everywhere, but thats about it.