SAU Community

Bnr32 - Once In A Lifetime Build All Gt-R Owners Must See

post-5134-0-58359300-1399948990_thumb.jpg

Do these sit inside the window or outside? How much/parts number etc if they fit outside.

By the way I got 57/43 weight distribution but I cannot remember the fuel load and I weigh near on 100kg.

Heh man, lovely car and restoration project. Where did you get the carbon cooling panel? I have read this whole thread but forget and cbf going back thru it right now.

Thanks

Cheers Mick. Haha yeah no worries, it's a Garage Defend item from Japan.

attachicon.gifDSC_0994.JPG

Do these sit inside the window or outside? How much/parts number etc if they fit outside.

By the way I got 57/43 weight distribution but I cannot remember the fuel load and I weigh near on 100kg.

That one is the inner but I have replaced the outer as well, along with every other piece of trim/rubber!

Sorry but don't have part number at hand anymore...can someone with Nissan FAST help out?

Cheers for feedback re weight dist. as well

^^ we knew you would be back Richard! Good to see.

Thanks for the reply Robbie, I was hoping it was a decent quality copy but alas it looks like I'll be forking out for a GD one down the track. While I'm at it what brand are the tail lights?

^^ we knew you would be back Richard! Good to see.

Thanks for the reply Robbie, I was hoping it was a decent quality copy but alas it looks like I'll be forking out for a GD one down the track. While I'm at it what brand are the tail lights?

Where did Richard go? :geek:

No probs, lights are all factory items but have been internally converted to LED. These were done in Japan and was all organised by a mate.

Have still been flat out trying to finish this car off...seems never ending....2 years and 2 months odd now

Replaced one of the spherical bearings that press into the front strut tops (driver side). This has solved one noise and the bearing was definitely not within tolerance as could actually feel the movement/slop once it was out!

Next issue was the p/steer low pressure return decided to start leaking somewhere around where the rubber hose joins into the metal pipe...has been temp fixed and waiting on a new line to turn up from Japan.

Front upper arms bushing issue is also still ongoing...we swapped out these for a spare set of really good condition Nismo arms I had. This has removed any slop in the upper arms

BUT there is still an very annoying noise that is coming from what just seems to be the driver side only??!! It's very noticeable on bumby/rough roads and sounds like something is loose or something is hitting something else...it's NOT overly loud either, just enough to drive you INSANE!!

Has anyone else come across this issue? I am thinking it is something to do with the camber/castor settings, the car being lowered and the design flaws inherent with 32 gtr front end suspension?

Have also been thinking an N1 carbon BOOT lip would set the rear off nicely....just not 100% on this

These are the ones I have come across so far

1. $199 http://www.empireaero.com.au/pages.asp?ID=GTR+GARAGE

2. $385 http://www.uniqueautosports.com.au/Parts-Shop/n1-type-rear-boot-lip-spoiler-for-skyline-r32-gtr-960.aspx

I thought Just Jap did one also but can't see it on there website...?

Has anyone got any comments/feedback on the ones above or any other suggestions.....I am really after a full carbon item not just the carbon overlay junk

Cheers :thumbsup:

Robbie all good things take time mate.

With the front suspension, check and see if the actual coil is loose as this could be making that annoying sound (it may be only slightly loose but will cause noises especially on bumpy rough surface as it hits the mounts)

Not suing that is what it is but just check anyways

For the N1 boot spoiler try Just Jap they are cheaper than Unique Auto Sport IIRC

The boot lips you had up there look good. I think they would look great on the car. Just Jap only seem to have a Fiberglass item which is not what you are after.

Always love reading over this thread. As someone has mentioned previously - This car isn't like it came out of the factory, it's actually better.

BUT there is still an very annoying noise that is coming from what just seems to be the driver side only??!! It's very noticeable on bumby/rough roads and sounds like something is loose or something is hitting something else...it's NOT overly loud either, just enough to drive you INSANE!!

Has anyone else come across this issue? I am thinking it is something to do with the camber/castor settings, the car being lowered and the design flaws inherent with 32 gtr front end suspension?

Funny you should mention this. My car is doing the exact same thing, currently. I can hear it much more clearly when driving on highways etc with bumps. Same kind of noise as you describe and yes, it's driving me bananas as well. Racepace has had a quick look at it and couldn't find anything wrong/loose with the front end. Might get them to take a look at the Coilovers (revalved Bilsteins) and see what they find.

Robbie all good things take time mate.

With the front suspension, check and see if the actual coil is loose as this could be making that annoying sound (it may be only slightly loose but will cause noises especially on bumpy rough surface as it hits the mounts)

Not suing that is what it is but just check anyways

For the N1 boot spoiler try Just Jap they are cheaper than Unique Auto Sport IIRC

Endless time!

Coil/springs are fine. Everything is new...hopefully we will get to the bottom of it soon and report back.

Yeh JJ don't have a carbon one listed ATM....keen to hear peoples thoughts on whether it will enhance the overall appeal of car or not needed...

I just cant decide... guess only way is to buy one and sit it on there!

The boot lips you had up there look good. I think they would look great on the car. Just Jap only seem to have a Fiberglass item which is not what you are after.

As always cheers for the input man. Yeah would have to be carbon I am thinking but maybe glass one painted would be nice???

Always love reading over this thread. As someone has mentioned previously - This car isn't like it came out of the factory, it's actually better.

Funny you should mention this. My car is doing the exact same thing, currently. I can hear it much more clearly when driving on highways etc with bumps. Same kind of noise as you describe and yes, it's driving me bananas as well. Racepace has had a quick look at it and couldn't find anything wrong/loose with the front end. Might get them to take a look at the Coilovers (revalved Bilsteins) and see what they find.

Thanks heaps mate! Greatly appreciated. Congrats on getting yours done as well.

Great (well not really) to hear someone else is having this issue! Yeah it's fkd right. Very hard to pinpoint.

Huh I am running brand new revalved Bilsteins as well............I did ask Gary and others and they have all said they have NEVER had an issue with them.

What else does your front end set up consist of? What ride height and camber/caster settings?

Let me know how you go, I have read through links below but haven't given then enough time to try and figure a solution...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/172177-adjustable-upper-arms-problem-r32-gtr/page-2

I am thinking I will have to make some changes however:
1. Fully adjustable upper arms (sliding type)
2. Nismo upper arm mounts
3. Adjustable tension rods (to allow for more caster adj)
4. Maybe roll centre spacers (I think done by Moonface?)
Edited by $$slowmedown

Thanks heaps mate! Greatly appreciated. Congrats on getting yours done as well.

Great (well not really) to hear someone else is having this issue! Yeah it's fkd right. Very hard to pinpoint.

Huh I am running brand new revalved Bilsteins as well............I did ask Gary and others and they have all said they have NEVER had an issue with them.

What else does your front end set up consist of? What ride height and camber/caster settings?

Let me know how you go, I have read through links below but haven't given then enough time to try and figure a solution...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/172177-adjustable-upper-arms-problem-r32-gtr/page-2

I am thinking I will have to make some changes however:
1. Fully adjustable upper arms (sliding type)
2. Nismo upper arm mounts
3. Adjustable tension rods (to allow for more caster adj)
4. Maybe roll centre spacers (I think done by Moonface?)

Thanks, mate.

My coilovers were revalved by Gary as well but they were second hand when I got them from a member here. The front end has Cusco upper control arms, Whiteline sway bar & Whiteline castor rod bushes. Not too sure about the settings as RPM took care of it all for me when I got the initial build done however if you look at my build thread the car isn't very low. In fact they measured it for me and it's actually a bit over 100mm from the lowest point. They mentioned something about the car not needing to be too low to get the roll centres right. Will need to ask more about what was done next time the car goes in.....or sooner if I go mad between now and then listening to it.

Going to go read those two threads now.

Cusco upper arms as in the type with the bearings in them? If so look there for your clunk. I had some and found the geometry on them was such that they ran with little castor - mostly I think to protect the bearings. Anyway I ditched them and replaced the inner mounting brackets with Nismo items which was expensive, but worth it. The Nismo bracket rotates the upper link to reduce stress on the bushes/bearings on the outside of the upper link. Meant the difference between a Whiteline bush being flogged out in one track day to lasting years.

• Like 2

Hasemi Sport do a carbon N1 spoiler.

http://www.hasemi-ms.com/products/r32/index.php

Pricey but quality is sure to be spot on.

Electra do an autoclaved pre preg one but like everything else they produce it's disgustingly expensive :(

http://www.electra-cps.com/e_e_cps.htm#rear-spo

Cheers Michael, I had forgotten about Hasemi...I remember now we discussed their stuff once before. Thanks for the reminder mate

And Electra OMFG!! Over $2k for the N1 boot lip.....out of control

Thanks, mate.

My coilovers were revalved by Gary as well but they were second hand when I got them from a member here. The front end has Cusco upper control arms, Whiteline sway bar & Whiteline castor rod bushes. Not too sure about the settings as RPM took care of it all for me when I got the initial build done however if you look at my build thread the car isn't very low. In fact they measured it for me and it's actually a bit over 100mm from the lowest point. They mentioned something about the car not needing to be too low to get the roll centres right. Will need to ask more about what was done next time the car goes in.....or sooner if I go mad between now and then listening to it.

Going to go read those two threads now.

Cheers man. Would be great if you could get as much info as possible so we can get this sorted! Cool. One of those threads in particular is very informative/useful just haven't had the time to get to the bottom of the issue yet.

Cusco upper arms as in the type with the bearings in them? If so look there for your clunk. I had some and found the geometry on them was such that they ran with little castor - mostly I think to protect the bearings. Anyway I ditched them and replaced the inner mounting brackets with Nismo items which was expensive, but worth it. The Nismo bracket rotates the upper link to reduce stress on the bushes/bearings on the outside of the upper link. Meant the difference between a Whiteline bush being flogged out in one track day to lasting years.

I was hoping to hear from you Richard. I was running oem upper arms with the whiteline bush kit and had the same noise/issue...? I swapped them out and put in a near new set of of nismo upper arms and the noise remains

Did you ever have this with any of your previous front end set ups?

I do have a set of the Nismo upper brackets which as you say alleviate some of the binding/stress on the upper arms but I am unsure if this will resolve the noise problem...

Also, what tension rods (caster adj) are you using?

My set up is as follows:
Nismo upper arm mount.

Nismo LCA.

Cusco tension rod (No better than the Nismo item, really. Probably worse as it has no give in it – its just that its adjustable)

Whiteline bush kit, the adjustable one.

I ended up having the upper arms made as I didn’t like anything on offer. What little I know about the upper arms is as follows.

The standard arm is 182mm long (I think?) and something like 16mm trail.

The Cusco arm is 172mm long and has a “trail” of 22mm. So the outside of the arm is 22mm forward of the inside.

The trail reduces castor on the arm and therefore the load imposed on the outer bush.

I gave up trying to buy a good arm and just got some made with the help of a few mates who have actual skills. They are a bit shorter again and have less trail than either the standard or Cusco arms. I did this because the Nismo bracket rotates the upper arm (If you were looking at the drivers side the arm rotates upwards towards the front – matching the forward movement of the spindle when you wind in more castor. Anyway it appears to work ok. See drawing of Nismo bracket and Cusco arm.

Sorry but I have no clue as to the clunks other than the usual random suggestion of check bolt tension and ball joints.

post-5134-0-36455800-1400633867_thumb.jpg

post-5134-0-49205400-1400633978_thumb.jpg

cusco arm.PDF

Yeah it's not a big deal just thought I would mention it as an option for Robbie more than anything. I've only got the basic white line kit for the stock upper arm and haven't tried the UAS Pivoting type yet so I can't really comment. I wouldn't say they are complex though.