SAU Community

Couple Questions About The 350Gt-8

hey guys im new to this forum and also i bought the nissan 350gt-8 about 8 months ago and noticed that my headlights are pretty dull and im wanting a replacement.. just wondering what the details of the bulbs they are as i would like to purchase some aftermarket HID's

another question i had was about the CVT transmission which i know about the fluid it must take and all that im just wondering if i was to start putting some money into it to get a bit more power out would the tranny handle it? like can they handle much higher performance that what the stock engine is?

well they are very dull and yellowy colour like at night time driving around town i need to have my fog lights on as well as headlights to see properly and with high beam on the highway it can be hard to see much of a distance at all

Okay so you have halogen xenon lights. What your gonna need to do is find out if the factory HID ballast is still in the car. If you have this, your all good you just have to get the right bulbs and f**k around with the wiring. If not, your gonna need a HID conversion kit which is at least $150. This is really weird typing on my girlfriends iPad..

The CVT could probably handle a bit extra power over stock, but I wouldn't push it too much. With standard autos, you can do valve body upgrades, and have stronger parts installed to handle considerably more power than stock.. you don't have this option with a CVT.

As for the headlights.. I have heard several people complain about the light quality with Halogens (which should have been fitted during compliance). I still have the stock HIDs in mine, and the light is fine.

You could try xenon filled halogen lamps, which are a little brighter than standard halogens. I wouldn't go with higher power halogen lamps unless you are certain your wiring can handle the extra load.

yea what i was wondering about the lights though my mate bought a set of hid's of a website he installed himself and he said like the bulbs have a certain type like H1 or H4 etc.. i was wondering what wattage they pull and what sort of light they are as im not really keen pulling my car apart just for the sake of doing it to try get to the lights unless im changing them out... and how hard the HID's to install after they have been changed out to whatever has been put it with i think are halogen lamps..

depends on what has been fitted by the compliance workshop.. I think they are usually H1 for low beam, but someone else here can probably confirm. The factory HIDs are D2R, and like most automotive HIDs, they are 35W. The factory 35W HID lamps will produce considerably more light than a 55W Halogen.

Depending on how the compliance workshop converted them, it might not be too hard to convert them back to HIDs. If they left the balast and light fitting attached, you might just need to reconnect the 12V supply to the balast and refit the correct HID lamps. If they removed everything, it might be easier to go with an aftermarket HID kit.

yea i was thinking it might be easiest to just buy a new set of the HID's aftermarket and start again and they are D2R and 35W? and also what would happen if i got the wrong ones like would they just not fit or something and if i got too high power like if i got 50w for the high beam could it burn the wiring?

Unlikely to burn your wiring.. as you are drawing 55W from that wiring at the moment, if you have halogens.

Just get a decent brand. 50W HIDs in a cheap/dodgy brand, can produce less light than a quality 35W HID..

As for what lamp you will need, it really depends on what you have currenlty fitted, if you can access the back of the lights, remove the current lamp, if it is a H1, buy a H1 retrofit kit.. if it is something else, but the appropriate kit.

If the D2R fitting and wiring has been removed, it may be more difficult to track down the required parts to fit D2R lamps back in (perhaps someone with experience here can chime in??)

^ depends how they have gone about it in compliance. some will just glue in H1 globes. some will put adapters in. some will file out the globe mounts......would need a photo. But if they have changed the globes, they usually mark on the headlight what they have been changed to. Open the bonnet and look on the black plastic for an engraving or a stamp of what the headlight takes now - probably H1 or H4.

Best case scenario, they haven't mangled it and you can revery back to D2R. (NOT D2S!!)

you can buy D2R PNP (plug n play) kits from plenty of places. If you want good quality - go to theretrofitsource.com and buy a 35W morimoto setup - i recommend 5000k globes for best balance between output and appearance, or 4300k for pure light on the road ability.

if you're brave enough - and handy with the fiddly stuff - a quad retro fit cannot be beat for looks and output.

I have just ordered all the parts to start this project.......

photo12.jpg

sorry umm what did you mean by a quad retrofit? i am pretty new to this stuff and all i really want to do is just change them so i can get a bit more light out so i can see when driving.. so im guessing low beam would have to be a 35w circuit and im not sure about the high beam on thursday i got my first day off so im going to start having more of a better look into what i need to do.. im hoping its going to be easy as buying a plug and play set and just install them but im still kind of worried about having to take off the front bumper to be able to even access the lights.

From the pic, I would assume projectors for both high and low beam. thus quad retrofit.

High beam is a standard halogen lamp, and is a 60/55W H4 (55W filament is the fog lights, 60W high beam).

I believe you can access the back of the headlights by removing the plastic covers inside the wheel arches.

I don't mean this in a condescending way but I think what will be best is if you take your car to autobahn etc - buy some Phillips Plus 90 globes or similar for the low beam.

The bottom mounted light is a dual filament globe for fogs/highs - buy a matching globe and drive with your fogs on at the same time as your low beams - that's the easiest legal way to get the most out of your lights.

From the pic, I would assume projectors for both high and low beam. thus quad retrofit.

Correct. Involves fitting four sealed beam projectors into the reflector bowls. Not for the faint hearted - involves putting your lights in the oven and cutting up the housings with a dremel amongst other things......but if you get it all lined up right - the results are staggering.

sorry umm what did you mean by a quad retrofit? i am pretty new to this stuff and all i really want to do is just change them so i can get a bit more light out so i can see when driving.. so im guessing low beam would have to be a 35w circuit and im not sure about the high beam on thursday i got my first day off so im going to start having more of a better look into what i need to do.. im hoping its going to be easy as buying a plug and play set and just install them but im still kind of worried about having to take off the front bumper to be able to even access the lights.

You can access the headlights from the wheel arches as Greg mentioned but i beleive it's easier to access the lights via taking the bumper off even though it takes a bit longer.

The first time i took my bumper off and replaced the headlight bulbs and put it back on, it took me 4 hours. Only because i was taking my time and i was having beers during the process..

Once you do it once, the next time will be quicker.