SAU Community

R32 Gtr Getting Ready For Wtac @ Tunehouse

JohnGTR

Here is the story to date…

I will use this thread to record the activity on this project and my progress in coming to grips with the capabilities of the car then provide updates on its ongoing development. All comments, feedback and criticism is welcome (take it easy guys!)

A bit of background…

I’m in my mid 40’s and have had two other R32s GTR in the past. One original Aussie SPEC that I sold (is being looked after) to one of the forum members and more recently I sold a black import R32 GTR with a RB30 bottom end to one other member (it was at the Airport runs in Goulburn, R33 wheels)…

I love these cars ever since they blasted the V8s back in the early 90s in the touring cars. I know that the smaller and lighter EVOs and Nissans are quicker these days but I’m happy to fly the GTR flag.

Apart from these cars I have also had a couple modded street XR6Ts, one which ran in the high 10s. I ran 11.15s @ 125MPH on $200.00 19” street tyres with plenty of sideways action. So I can drive in a straight line (most of the time). The challenge is to see if I can drive around corners.

I think this project might be the first and last full on car (re)build and this will be a test on the aging body and mind. So this is in a way a test to see if I have what it takes to be reasonably competitive up against the experienced guys and the young guns.

This is a proven car, it is the ex BSM GTR which has a history of winning the Improved Production category (under a much more restricted form), it ran in Sports Sedans and it has also run a 1:35 sec time around Eastern Creek back in 2010 at Superlap. Hence, no excuses that the car is not good enough …

How did I come about buying the car? … I was looking for a trailer as I wanted to take the Black R32 off the road to turn it into a full-time track car and came across this car. I saw the car for sale online, I went out to see it, they sat me in it and I started it … SOLD!... I could not resist.

I bought the car about a year ago and had is sitting around tinkering with it for about 6 months. More recently I have had the car re-sprayed (same colour, thanks to BodyTech Castle Hill), we found it had poor compression in Cylinder 4 when I had it out at Tunehouse for a tune and inspection and it has had a major overhaul out at Unique Autosports over the last couple months…

I will post specs and details with current pictures outlining where the project is at in the coming weeks …

For the meantime… this is what it looked like when I first bought it… (Superlap 2010, Dave Loftus at the wheel)

BSMGTRSL2010.jpg

BSMbanner.jpg

Great buying, this is the second winningest skyline in Australia as far as I know (behind Stu Inwood's R33), and one of only 6 I know that have won a National Championship. I've always had the highest respect for Geoff and the team for acheiving series wins in both production touring (the other chassis) and IPRA.

Please keep it an use it well :)

Duncan, that's what I intend to do...

Here is the list of the goodies !!

• RB26DETT 2.6 litre N1 block
  • Custom Pistons
  • Freshened up head with original Tomei goodies (see above)
  • Argo Rods
  • Hi-0ctane Racing 4 Stage dry sump kit
  • Greddy Pulleys
  • Adjustable cam gears
  • Ross Balancer and crank trigger
  • Nismo Inlet Manifold
  • 6Boost Exhaust Manifold
  • Precision 6867 Turbo
  • TurboSmart external wastegate
  • UAS Custom Dump pipe
  • Sard Injectors
  • Tomei Fuel Rail
  • Twin Carter Lift Pumps
  • Fuelabs Fuel Pump
  • Motec ADL dash
  • Motec M800
  • Motec CDI ignition
  • MSD Coil Packs
  • Blitz Intercooler
  • Custom Pro-Flex 3 way adjustable shocks, eibach springs
  • AP Racing 6 piston front brakes; 4 piston rears
  • PPG 5 speed dog box; carbon triple plate clutch
  • Quaiffe Front LSD (Motec controlled)
  • Cusco Rear LSD
  • Custom single tailshaft
  • Custom Multipoint roll cage
  • Aero … to be revised!!

Approx. Weight: 1300 kgs

Sponsors:

Bodytech – Bodywork, spoiler repairs and spray painting

Unique Autosports – Parts supply, Major mechanical work, engine rebuild, electrical, etc etc. Run in tune and car setup.

Wilkins Engineering – Engine/block preparation, head re-conditioning

Tunehouse – Engine tuning

enginebay.jpg

I had to respray the car as when I pulled the stickers off it took paint off!! Thanks to Bodytech at Castle Hill who resprayed it (left the Aussie flag on the roof .. of course!!)

I'm stickering it up with the sponsor logos...

I will have some more photos up soon.

Pretty sure it's a 6867, I left the turbo choice to UAS... I thought it was a bit on the bigger side but we will see how responsive it is.

It comes on song from about 4500rpm and at 23psi the torque is pretty flat all the way through.

Once we get the MSD coil packs we will see how it goes!!

The heads have had some serious work and the car was making 420 awkw (Tunehouse Hub Dyno) at 21 psi with the -10s twins on 5 cylinders (Cyl #4 was down on compression). It felt really laggy... I'm hoping that the car will be a little more responsive now with the single...

The car made about 445 rwkw on the UAS dyno at 23 psi but was breaking down on a conservative tune with not much timing... Dave said that it comes on from about 4500 rpm but I will wait until we get the new coil packs and turn it up to 25 - 26 psi. The only real test is to take it out on the track and see how it drives out of corners.

The car has had a stringline wheel alignment, and is getting some new pillowball bearings then the rear diffuser is going on and it then go to Tunehouse for a quick once over and a tune on their 4 wheel hub dyno. This will give me a chance to check the 4WD system which is controlled by the Motec.

We were trying to get the car to Goulburn Airport runs but it did not make it... I am not rushing it. If all goes well then I'll be taking it to Phillip Is Nissan/Datsun Nationals next year. Then if all goes well and I'm up for it then I will try and go to Superlap as well.

I am getting some stickers put on the car and then it will be going to Bodytech Automotive (Castle Hill) for their Tradeshow event mid next month and the guys will give it a clean and a buff. I will take more photos and post them up soon ...

Vent out ... no air con in this car!!

ventout.jpg

Pretty sure it's a 6867, I left the turbo choice to UAS... I thought it was a bit on the bigger side but we will see how responsive it is.

It comes on song from about 4500rpm and at 23psi the torque is pretty flat all the way through.

Once we get the MSD coil packs we will see how it goes!!

Correction ... It is a Precision 6768 turbo ... sorry!!

Here is what the car looked like before the respray... If you look closely you can see the bodgy patches that I temporarily fixed as the old stickers peeled sections of paint off. The colour is Ford Blueprint...

I've got the original front spoiler but decided to setup another one (i got a few spares) as I'm guessing there might be some off road 4WDing!!

PlanBonstands.jpg

This man (John) is the individual responsible for getting me into these damn GTR's and in fact, the ADM GTR I own today I bought off John back in 2004. Its a sickness I tell you :)

This BSM GTR has the same nostalgia as the ATCC Winfield GTR, what a package!

You are a gun driver and if I remember correctly, you were pulling 1:09's at Wakefield in a stock GTR, hence if you cant do it in this race car, I don't think anyone else can.

I didn't know the owner of the RB30 was at goulburn. That was a great built engine.

Anyway - I am subscribed.

This man (John) is the individual responsible for getting me into these damn GTR's and in fact, the ADM GTR I own today I bought off John back in 2004. Its a sickness I tell you :)

This BSM GTR has the same nostalgia as the ATCC Winfield GTR, what a package!

You are a gun driver and if I remember correctly, you were pulling 1:09's at Wakefield in a stock GTR, hence if you cant do it in this race car, I don't think anyone else can.

I didn't know the owner of the RB30 was at goulburn. That was a great built engine.

Anyway - I am subscribed.

Thanks Marko ... No pressure! I don't know where that "gun driver" came from?

I've just got to get the body in shape (other than round) then I might be able to get some respectable numbers otherwise I might have to hand the keys over to someone else to drive for me.

Went Go-Karting on Saturday night, Im still sore!!

Very nice car... You've bought one hell of a weapon! I'm a big fan of the blue front bar in the above video... Do you know who makes it?

I got given the mould. I guess any good fibreglass guy should be able to make them ??

Here is the bar that I had made up with one of the spares that I got with the car. The front diffuser comes separate...

frontbar.jpg

Yes I heard from Frank that he got 2nd place...u must have stolen 1st place!

That front bar is a work of art, hang it on the wall.

Haha! I was lucky to last the race, we had 4 x 15minute qualifying sessions, I was rooted... Qualified 6th ... Limped home in 10th. The body couldn't take it.

I need to get fit for the race car!!

• Like 1