SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

Wiring is basically finished. I won't fully wrap it all up until I can confirm it's all fine. Be easier to trace any issues with the wires exposed. 

Ive made some brackets to mount the intercooler as when I got it the previous owner had lost them which was a pain! Nothing complicated, just time consuming. 

DSC_8027.jpg

DSC_8041.jpg

DSC_8043.jpg

DSC_8045.jpg

DSC_8050.jpg

Ive chopped a bit off my front reo bar to clear the bigger intercooler and sent it off to get sand blasted and powder coated to freshen it up. 

I'm about to start mounting the fuel surge tank and additional hoses for the secondary pump then I can get a start on the exhaustive (boom....) process of building the exhaust.  

Im hoping to crank it for the first time within the next 2 weeks so the pressure is on!

• Like 1

Chopped the barbs off my fuel pipes at the rear and fit hardline to AN6 adapters-

DSC_8056.jpg

DSC_8057.jpg

Mounted the under car surge tank-

DSC_8061.jpg

Lines aren't connected yet as I'll be fitting in line filters at the back and the front. I'll also put one way valves in as well to maintain fuel pressure in the lines. 

Got my nicely powder coated front reo back-

DSC_8064.jpg

DSC_8066.jpg

On a side project i welded up my first bit of stainless pipe today. Not perfect welding but it's good enough for something that's hiding under the car! Preparation is definitely the key, the few bits that weren't great were where the fit between the two pieces of pipe weren't sitting nicely together. On the real stuff I'll spend a lot more time on fit before I start welding. 

DSC_8067.jpg

DSC_8068.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Too long between updates lately...

Got a set of front pipes off Piggaz cause making front pipes all got too much!

Drilled the pipes the most strategic way possible to get the dual wideband sensors in the right distance from the turbos-

DSC_8125.jpg

Had an effing horrid time welding the bungs on! I think the pipes were made from aids, f**k they were horrid to weld! I got a bit grumpy about it...-

DSC_8150.jpg

DSC_8151.jpg

On the other end of the pipes I changed the bolt up flange to a stainless v clamp. That was a bit tricky as I needed the flange as close to the front of the car as possible but with the two into one merge collector it was quite flat whereas the v band is obviously round. I made up a little expander to put inside the pipes to  make it as close to round as possible-

DSC_8175.jpg

DSC_8177.jpg

I tacked it in place with the TIG but because of the aids composition of the pipes and the fact that even with with my expander do dad it was never going to be the near interference fit that is ideal for TIG welding I decided to MIG it. Not ideal but the extra heat of the MIG helped with penetration into the aids and actually came up ok. Being different composition metals (mild to stainless) I wanted to use the proper TIG filler for joining different metals but it wasn't to be!  I ground back a few places where I got a bit trigger happy but overall it'll do! I cleaned up inside the joint with the die grinder and she's good to go. Doesn't look like I took a photo of the finished product, I'll take one later on-

DSC_8178.jpg

DSC_8180.jpg

DSC_8181.jpg

Next up I taped the v clamp flanges to each end of the cat then sealed it all up so I could properly purge it. Note to self, don't use electrical tape so close to where you're welding as you gas the shit out of yourself on molten plastic...

DSC_8183.jpg

DSC_8184.jpg

DSC_8186.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Wow man, that's amazing good on you for doing it all yourself.

Cheers Johnny, I've learnt a shitload doing all of this.  Driving it for the first time will be amazing (albeit extremely nerve wracking!) but the enjoyment of actually doing it all has been huge!

Ok, welds are done on the cat flanges.  Are they great?  Nope.  Am I still happy with it?  Shit yeah!  The welds are B grade but I'm still happy with the result.  It's not going to fall apart that's for sure!  In saying that they're ordinary welds I've definitely seen worse on things people have paid good money for so in that regard I guess they're ok!

DSC_8196.jpg

DSC_8193.jpg

After a very quick hit on the buff-

DSC_8201.jpg

DSC_8200.jpg

I've fit up the pipes and mated up the cat.  Good damn V Band clamps are nice!  The fit is perfect, just slot them together, whack the clamp on and you're good to go.  As long as you have room for the clamp that is.

DSC_8203.jpg

DSC_8205.jpg

DSC_8207.jpg

DSC_8211.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmknights93 said:

That nice shiny gear box sticks sticks out like a sore thumb :P 

Looking good. Welds look more than find to me.

A bit of a clean and a lick of paint makes everything look nice again (until the paint falls off anyway!).

29 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

wow man... you never cease to amaze me...

I'm a lazy cnut these days... I got rid of my mig, and last time I was so lazy I sent my car to a clutch shop to get the clutch replaced instead of doing it myself lol

Unfortunately for me (sometimes, not always) due to my Dutch heritage I'm a massive tight arse so the option to get people to do stuff for me is not available!  Computer says no.

It does have the benefit of learning a whole lot along the way.  And a shed full of shit I may never use again......

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing much to report unfortunately....  Christmas came and went with very little time spent on the car.

My greatest achievement came on 1/1/2017 when I cranked it over for the first time (without using a ratchet!) and thank f#$k it achieved oil pressure!  The light goes out so I'm happy!  Once it's running I'll check what the actual pressure is.

Otherwise I replaced the power steering high pressure line that got crimped when I put the engine in (prick of a job!).  

I've powered up the Haltech and poked in the initial tune.  I'll fine tune it a little bit more once it's up and running but it'll be good enough to start it and run it.  I'll be driving the car for a few hundred kms on my tune before I take it in and get a full dyno tune with an expert (probably Chequered Tuning at this point).  Obviously apart from the odd squirt I'll be keeping a very close eye on things until the proper tune.  I just don't want to run into problems with chucking a car straight on the dyno that has had so many different things changed on it.  I want to sort out oil leaks, fuel leaks, coolant leaks and other little issues that could crop up before I get there so there's a lot less chance of hiccups on the day.  I'm 3 hours away from the tuner so I really don't need the issues of having to go and pick it up again if things go south on dyno day.

Seeing I'm not running covers at this point I made up a little top dead centre marker so I can set the initial base timing.

DSC_8269.jpg

http://DSC_8268.jpg

I've just got to program in the trigger method into the Haltech and then I'm ready to start thinking about starting it.  To be honest I'm absolutely shitting myself at the thought of starting it for the first time!  God I hope it all works!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

OK.  This is a cry for help.  The rego renewal for my car arrived this week.  This will be the 5th time I've paid it without having even driven it.  Being an RB30 conversion I'd really have to get it engineered to legally get it re-registered if I just let the rego lapse.

I haven't driven my car since 2012..... 

I bit off more than I could chew back in a very busy time in my life (2 kids born, moved house twice in 12 months, new job, etc, etc).

I need inspiration.  I need something to renew the spark in my car and get me motivated to finish it off after 5 long years!  There's way too much work gone into it to just walk away or sell it off as parts.

Please inspire me (awesome GT-R videos, inspirational words of wisdom, smart arse comments, anything is acceptable!).

Help!!!!

10 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

OK.  This is a cry for help.  The rego renewal for my car arrived this week.  This will be the 5th time I've paid it without having even driven it.  Being an RB30 conversion I'd really have to get it engineered to legally get it re-registered if I just let the rego lapse.

I haven't driven my car since 2012..... 

I bit off more than I could chew back in a very busy time in my life (2 kids born, moved house twice in 12 months, new job, etc, etc).

I need inspiration.  I need something to renew the spark in my car and get me motivated to finish it off after 5 long years!  There's way too much work gone into it to just walk away or sell it off as parts.

Please inspire me (awesome GT-R videos, inspirational words of wisdom, smart arse comments, anything is acceptable!).

Help!!!!

I am not sure if this is the sort of inspiration you are looking for Ewan,  but I will try and find the right words to inspire you ?

"If you don't finish it , I will get a few of the boys to come and kick your arse!"

Hope this helps as we all want to see it finished  :18_kissing_heart:

• Haha 1

Well, that's a start I spose! I have been watching the MCM 240Z episodes. Hopefully that gives me a bit of inspiration. 

I might finish off the brake lines and roll it out of the shed for a wash next weekend. It hasn't seen daylight for a few years now! 

Hopefully little by little the desire to get stuck into it returns. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, to most people giving your car a wash is not really a highlight but for me after not touching my car for so long feels like a milestone!

So I finished my second roller door motor off last weekend which motivated me to clean out the shed a bit so I could take the car off the hoist and roll it outside for a bath.

Obviously by the time I'd finished it was dark but it was a good feeling to see if nice and clean again!

Still a few wiring bits and pieces to tidy up and finish of the intakes, etc.

Hopefully this is the tipping point for getting stuck into it again.  Time will tell...

tjsqYPE.jpg

ofgXvJ3.jpg

CAJmnV8.jpg

ZlkK3tx.jpg

agBbKaI.jpg

woY1YVN.jpg

rDmRHh5.jpg

48owbpR.jpg

JtPQbpN.jpg

• Like 11