SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

Looks good mate, i know that feeling so well, just imagine turning to key and hearing that purr, i like seeing them dynoed, gets me motivated  ?

Edited by AngryRB

• 6 months later...

6 more months roll on by........

Too early to say I'm fully motivated but I'm taking baby steps towards getting back into it.  I flatly refuse to make it a New Years Resolution to get it going this year as I've done that the last few years in a row and it's still sitting idle in the shed!

So over the Christmas break I spent a few hours playing with a few things.  It was 35-40 degrees most days during the break so bloody hot out in the shed even with the poor split system air con cranked to full noise!

I'm still chasing a few issues that are currently causing non start.  I've got injection, spark and compression but no go so there has to be a spark timing issue I think.  Even with a squirt of "Start you f#$king Bastard" it still doesn't fire.  It pops and carries on a little bit indicating presence of the two most important bits (flammable shit and sparky things) but they mustn't be happening at the right time to make it go broom.  I need to go back through the whole diagnostic process again but the last time I was playing around with it it was all timed right but I've been stuffing around with a heap of other stuff in the meantime so will need to recheck it.  Getting someone else out ion the shed to hit the key while I hold the timing light is the hardest bit sometimes!

The other issue I'm having which may be related is that the coil packs themselves and the power and earth supplying them are getting really hot.  To the point of melting the wire coating kinda hot!  I've either got a short in the coil wiring (a supplied loom from coil over kit seller) or there's something going on that the coils are being triggered overtime which is causing them to cook themselves.  I'm happy to hear some advice if anyone else has come across this before after undertaking a re-wire or coil upgrade??

Anyway, please wish me good luck in staying motivated long enough to at least get it running this time around!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

If you haven’t got the time but you have some spare $$$$$$$$s lying around, take it to someone before it goes up in smoke , lol 

hope you work it out ?

Ha ha, trust me I'd love to!

I have a few major issues with that unfortunately.

1.  A hefty mortgage

2. Many other hobbies to support

3. I'm Dutch.....

Paying people to do my shit is really a battle!

When I was starting up my FJ20 Datto for the first time on an Autronic, I wired up a dodgy lead to the starter solenoid so I could hold the timing light and crank it over at the same time :)

Sounds like you have an issue with dwell / triggering / polarity of the trigger on your coils, double check all that stuff, otherwise you might damage your coils. Sorry - I can’t remember if you mentioned your ECU and ignition setup.

Cheers @dr phil. You're on the right path, it looks to  have been I had the coils set up as"rising edge" as opposed to what they should have been which is "falling edge". It's still not starting but a lot closer now. There's a lot more popping and carry on so nearly there!

I'll need to reset the trigger angle to get it firing back on TDC again as changing from one to the other changes the timing.

The power has gone out (great, no air con or sans in the house...) and my cheap nasty timing light isn't playing so I'll have to leave it to the next chance I can get out to the shed. It's forecast for 40 degrees the next 2 days so probably won't be then!

Great to be back working on it again with renewed interest! 

• Like 2

Well, she runs!  There’s still a loooong road ahead but I think it’s an important stepping stone to know that it’s all worth it. It now gives me a reason to keep pushing on.

Sorry about the weird video commentary but I was bloody excited alright! ??

The wiring is all over the place after stripping most of it down chasing gremlins so I’ll have to tidy all that up again  The reassuring thing is that all of my wiring was perfect, it was all just fiddly little things in the software I needed to sort out.  Some of it wierd shit that the Haltech did automatically but that’s another story...

Next up will be to build the rest of the exhaust. I’ve done about 5cm of TIG welding in the past 12-18 months so I’d best get some more practice in before I butcher my $1000+ worth of stainless bits and pieces! As long as it seals and doesn’t look like a retarded cocky shat it out then I’m really not too fussed. I’m more focused on getting it done now rather than chasing show quality. I’ll park it in the corner again if it takes too long to finish! Strike while the iron is hot!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

Well, she runs!  There’s still a loooong road ahead but I think it’s an important stepping stone to know that it’s all worth it. It now gives me a reason to keep pushing on.

Sorry about the weird video commentary but I was bloody excited alright! ??

The wiring is all over the place after stripping most of it down chasing gremlins so I’ll have to tidy all that up again  The reassuring thing is that all of my wiring was perfect, it was all just fiddly little things in the software I needed to sort out.  Some of it wierd shit that the Haltech did automatically but that’s another story...

Next up will be to build the rest of the exhaust. I’ve done about 5cm of TIG welding in the past 12-18 months so I’d best get some more practice in before I butcher my $1000+ worth of stainless bits and pieces! As long as it seals and doesn’t look like a retarded cocky shat it out then I’m really not too fussed. I’m more focused on getting it done now rather than chasing show quality. I’ll park it in the corner again if it takes too long to finish! Strike while the iron is hot!

It’s ALIVE !

Cleaned up the shed and put the car back on the hoist today. Plenty of spiders have made themselves at home under there over the past 12 months+ of inactivity!

To start with I made a few timber blocks with 4” channels to make cutting the stainless for the exhaust easier and another set for welding it up.

Pulled the TIG out and started welding a few exhaust bits with mixed results! ??

Started ok-

20190101_152049.jpg

20190101_152130.jpg

Then when it came time to join a couple of sections for a bend I rushed a bit so had a bit of fresh air to fill on the join. Stupid mistake. Should have spent more time getting the fit perfect. I think I was getting impatient from getting stuff all done all day!

One side turned out really good, the other side not so....  Had to grind back a few bits and tidy it up. Typically the nicer side will be facing up where no one will ever see it and the shit side faces down to remind me of what I did wrong! ??

Better side-

20190101_215706.jpg

The “you did a shit job” side-

20190101_215714.jpg

Overall it turned out ok, as long as it seals and doesn’t fall off then it’s all good!

20190101_215748.jpg

Working out locations and the exhaust path and making some room.....

20190101_215810.jpg

20190101_220029.jpg

20190101_220039.jpg

20190101_220046.jpg

I must say it’s a bit of a prick of a job to fully build the exhaust. Just trying to get the angles all correct so it doesn’t hit on everything is pretty tricky. I’ve never done anything like it before so there will be a LOT of trial and error I think. It was great to get a start though and keep the momentum!

• Like 6

Got a bit more done on the exhaust today. Pretty much just a straight section but still a bit of a head f#<k getting the length right to get around the tricky diff area where it has to go up and around at the same time. Not looking forward to that bit! 

I'm pretty happy how high it's sitting at the moment, shouldn't hang too low. Obviously the down side of that is the possibility of hitting on things. Time will tell!

No awards will be won with my welding but pretty sure they'll hold together. Apart from where I needed to fill small gaps I'm just fusion welding it (no filler) which I guess isn't as strong as using filler? 

As you can see I purged the section to keep the weld on the inside nice and clean. It makes a MASSIVE difference so well worth the effort. 

20190106_113628.jpg

20190106_123015.jpg

20190106_123019.jpg

20190106_123023.jpg

20190106_123040.jpg

20190106_123738.jpg

20190106_123751.jpg

20190106_123837.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

Looks like you have got your finger out, about time  , looking good ?

The finger was extremely deeply inserted so it took a loooooog time to extract it!

• Haha 1