SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

I'm 100% committed to rebuilding my gearbox now,  I bought a 20t hydraulic press today....  I think I have a sickness for buying tools.

Buyers remorse definitely kicking in given the current circumstances but meh, I'm sure I'll appreciate having it one day!

• Like 1

As a press owner I can say it is an investment into your future. {probably 4 or 5 years, as that's the next time you will use it) but man it is nice when you do!

• Haha 2

Was the lovely wifes birthday and mothers day today but still snuck out to the shed and got some work done....  Brave or stupid I'm not sure?

Got the sump off today.

Got everything all cleaned up which takes bloody ages getting the sealant out of the grooves in the sealing surface of the sump. Worst job....  Takes even longer because of the RB30 adapter plate basically doubling the job. 

Hopefully drop everything off to the diff guy tomorrow to be all reinstalled later in the week.

Hopefully my press arrives this week so I can get started on my Dean Laidley (tranny) rebuild over the next few weeks. Probably not this weekend coming as I'm praying Kim Jong Andrews our Victorian Dictator, I mean premier, loosens restrictions so I can hit the mountains on the dirt bike. Hanging for a ride bad!!  The Austrian steed needs a squirt in the bush....

Anyway,  great to be back into it (for about the 10th time....).  Baby steps though, no sprinting this time! 

One final note, which came to me like a light bulb monent and I could be way off the mark with but I had a frightening realisation of what my noise possibly was.....

Now if I'm right, everything that I've done chasing my noise (which I can't categorically say I've discovered the reason for) has been all for nothing and makes me look like an idiot.... 

My light bulb moment was "Maybe the noise was from my Hicas pump?" I never topped up my Hicas reservoir after draining most of the fluid out when I rebuilt the transfer case. When I think back the sound had similarities to a power steering pump when its out of fluid. I'm tempted to not top it up before the next restart to see if that's actually it!

I feel the noise was more extreme than that but time will tell.

Anyway, what will be will be! 

20200509_160136.jpg

20200510_135551.jpg

20200510_135604.jpg

20200510_135625.jpg

20200510_161239.jpg

20200510_135555.jpg

• Like 2

After further reflection (there’s been a lot of that!) I now recall that it felt like was locking up somehow as I was releasing the clutch. Like it was trying to go forwards and backwards at the same time. I’m sticking with the gearbox so ignore my last paragraph of pondering! ?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DaymoR32 said:

really enjoyed reading this over the weekend, a lot of hardwork has gone into this and its encouraging to see! really looking forward the seeing the finished product (which im sure you are aswell!)

Cheers for the kind words @DaymoR32.  It’s been a long labour of love (and a bit of hate!) and I hope at the very least it offers a decent story! ? I hit 8 years off the road a bit later this year which is frightening...  Might actually get some use out of my rego this year. Thank god for the GT-R price explosion over the last few years to cover the $5600 worth of rego I’ve never used. ?

After many near misses and heartbreaks it’s 100% hitting the road this time, I refuse to give in!  I almost said 100% finished but it will NEVER be that as long as I own it!

37 minutes ago, Shoota_77 said:

Cheers for the kind words @DaymoR32.  It’s been a long labour of love (and a bit of hate!) and I hope at the very least it offers a decent story! ? I hit 8 years off the road a bit later this year which is frightening...  Might actually get some use out of my rego this year. Thank god for the GT-R price explosion over the last few years to cover the $5600 worth of rego I’ve never used. ?

After many near misses and heartbreaks it’s 100% hitting the road this time, I refuse to give in!  I almost said 100% finished but it will NEVER be that as long as I own it!

haha, i dont think you're ever really going to lose money on a GTR these days, especially seeing as though you bought it a long time ago when they weren't drug money!

yep every project car is always 99% finished, well thats what you've got to say to the missus anyway ?

My press arrived during the week. Me being me I started modifying it as soon as it arrived....  Its only 1300mm tall (I'm 2030mm.....) so I've added an extra rail along the bottom with some 100mm legs and then wheels mounted to the legs. It lifts it up about 250mm so a bit more manageable height! I'm also converting it to air over hydraulic with a foot pedal which means you can hold everything with two hands rather than trying to hold everything with one hand and pump the jack with the other!

Also bent up some brackets to be able to raise the press deck up and down with a ratchet winch. 

Hopefully finish that off over the weekend and get started on the tranny rebuild next week. 

20200513_234526.jpg

20200513_234514.jpg

20200513_234504.jpg

20200513_234458.jpg

20200513_204255.jpg

20200513_204306.jpg

Sort of finished the press.

Had to drill and tap new holes to mount the air jack. 

Gave it a quick lick of paint from Supercheap which by luck was a very close colour match. 

Just need to weld on the end caps that the rotary winch will lift from, mount the winch and then finally get a bit longer air hose off the bottle jack so it reaches the floor then I can make the pedal.

It's ready to use at least! 

20200515_203636.jpg

20200515_215115.jpg

20200515_215130.jpg

20200515_223548.jpg

20200515_223555.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finished dicking around with the press today but won't bore you with  any more than one photo! Put the ratchet winch on it to move the deck up and down. Made it so it centralises the deck at the same time as they move around all over the place how they come. 

Ripped my 2nd gearbox apart today. I think I'll use it as the base box as its a very new series 3 box with just a smashed 3rd gear. When they go they really go don't they!  Apart from the obvious the rest of the box is brand spankers. Its so clean in there compared to most of the 25 year old grungy boxes you see! Dunno if I'll put a brand new cluster shaft and 3rd gear in or just rat them out of another box....  To be decided....

I'm thinking I'll probably send the gears off to be shot peened and ultra fine finished. That's $650 and still leaves me with a stock box I know but a set of decent gears is $6000+ and I just don't have that sort of coin right now. It will most likely happen but not for a while yet. 

20200523_205244.jpg

20200524_160128.jpg

20200524_160135.jpg

20200524_160144.jpg

20200524_160152.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Made some important shed upgrades this week...  Now I have one less reason to get out to the shed at night.  Going to need to think of new ones now as cold is now off the table...

After lots of stuffing around with numerous different pullers I've got the arse end of the gearbox stripped off. Not super hard but just tricky. Going back together could be a different matter however...

Now also migjt be a good time to admit that the front end gears of the transmission don't fit between the deck of the press.....  As you kiddies would say FML!!  More mods now required on the most modified hydraulic press in town....

Ahhhh the joys! ?

20200602_184903.jpg

20200603_201258.jpg

20200603_205710.jpg

20200603_213917.jpg

20200603_214111.jpg

20200603_214116.jpg

• Like 2

Hey just noticed you got around to pulling the gearbox apart. Is it getting the counter shaft separated from the centre plate you're talking about having trouble with that doesn't fit your press ? Before you mod your press again for this, you do realise you don't use a press for that. You need the specific collar so you can put one of your pullers on. I mentioned it in the attached thread last year as someone was having the same issue. I only have a bench press, nothing as elaborate as your setup, as it is not needed for doing these boxes. You need this -

WP_20190213_17_32_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.6c775149a63f5dd253faf9f6278894d7.jpgWP_20190213_17_30_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.7a4992ab491960d90cfa5cec2b8b8d4f.jpg

• Like 2

Hi @BK cheers for posting that.  I got to that point and stopped last night!  I looked at the collar and only briefly pondered how to go about it!

I might have to get one made up.  Alternately there's a brand new on on Yahoo Auctions.  A bargain price of just $1000!!

Would you sell yours or are you still likely to use it?

Is the collar what's holding the counter shaft in?  I was of the understanding it was the bearing in the housing that was holding the countershaft and the mainshaft in?  They need to be pressed out as a pair as you can only move each shaft down a few mm at a time as you can push either shaft passed the other one?  

See this YouTube vid -