SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

Only done bits and pieces the last few days. Been bust doing family stuff for Christmas and went back to work between Chrissy and New Years.

Fit all my nice shiny new coolant pipes into the block. No corroded fittings for me thanks! Nothing worse than stuffing with coolant hoses under the inlet manifold.... I've got all new genuine coolant hoses to fit when I reassemble it all. The last hoses lasted 19 years so I'm sure the next lot will do much the same with how little I'll drive it.

DSC_0211.jpg

Head studs are all in so I'm nearly ready for some head....

DSC_0216.jpg

As a mini side project i had a bit of a tidy up of my sink area in the corner of the shed. Put up some $3 sheets of particle board and mounted a stainless splash back above the sink. Put up a shelf, a dart board and mounted one of my stupidly large quantity (about 8 or 9 at a guess) sets of spanners just to free up some space in my toolbox.

I'll give it a quick lick of paint later today if I can be bothered bearing the 40 degree temps out in the shed.

DSC_0215.jpg

I also need to confirm that my valve clearances are correct in the head before I bolt it on so that'll be another job for later. At some point during one of my two house moves some of the buckets fell out of the head and mixed up a few of the shims so I might need to swap a few around to get them all within spec. Annoying little things like that can be quite time consuming. Takes farking ages each time to take the cams in and out.

Valve clearances are a bit all over the shop so need to order some new shims.... Tried swapping a few shims around but still have a few clearances out of whack. Sick of pulling cams in and out a few times I'll tell you....

With slightly lumpier cams and heavy valve springs it's a bastard. I also discovered that with oversized valves and greater lift the valves can touch if the same lobes are at full lift on the same cylinder..... Thankfully no damage, could have been a costly discovery.

Finished off my little man cave sink corner-

DSC_0222.jpg

Rear plate and rear main in, sump adapter in place ready to be bolted on next foray into the shed. It needs to be done at the same time as the sump as there are bolts along the front and rear that go through the plate rather than locking the plate to the block like the rest of the flush cap head screws. The photos might explain what I mean (countersunk holes along the side and standard drilled holes front and back of the engine)....

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

I had a look at the sump and I've decided I'll attack it with the die grinder before putting it on as there is a bit of a lip (3-4mm) that would stop all of the oil draining out during an oil change. The claggy oil sitting on the bottom of the sump is the stuff you most want to get out so I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Looks a bit rough but hard to get into the sump with the die grinder!

DSC_0010_2.jpg

DSC_0008_2.jpg

Had to remove the standard studs out of the sump to allow for fitting the sump adapter. Trial fit the sump to check clearances and checked pickup depth to bottom of the sump. All looks pretty good. Sitting at about 10-11mm from the bottom so all good.

DSC_0012_2.jpg

DSC_0013_2.jpg

Trial fit the sump about 4 times which is a bloody arduous job! They're such a big heavy cumbersome thing! If it was evenly weighted (not with the diff hanging way out to one side) it would be a lot easier to manhandle but alas, it isn't, it's a prick!!

Still waiting on a few shims to tidy up some of the valve clearances a bit before I bolt the head on. I could put it on now but a lot easier getting cams in and out with the head on the bench. It makes it a lot easier checking the valve locations now that I know the intake and exhaust valves hit at full opening....

It's a frustrating part of the build at the moment, I'm getting lots done but it's all time consuming stuff modifying things to suit the different setup. When you strip an engine and just reassemble the same thing it's easy but when a lot of new things are thrown into the mix it makes it a lot more time consuming.

All part of the "fun" I guess!

• 2 weeks later...

Im going to build one of these simps soon. As i did one for a rb25. And came out great

Seeing how i did it myself i wont have them little problems bung wise. Lol great build mate. Love this post. Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get a lot done the last few weeks. Always excuses popping up...

Anyway, here are some further progress pics-

Sump going on-

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Ready for the head to go on-

DSC_0035.jpg

Head on-

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Yes they're two generations of Tomei timing gears. I actually kind of like the difference. Not that it'll matter once the trigger kit cam pickup goes on-

DSC_0039.jpg

Got my hoist bolted down and tidied up the shed a little bit anyway.... Just waiting for the electrician to come and wire it up and I'll be in heaven!

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

I've got a week off work coming up so hopefully I can get a bit more done on the engine then.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've been tied up concreting garden borders, fixing my Kubota tractor and generally piss farting around not concentrating on the car. My Datto 1200 ute finally made it's way to it's new home after being in storage at my parents place for 3 years. It was almost like a barn find it had that much dust and bird crap on it! It's another distraction I don't need. I've already started ordering parts for it....

DSC_0288.jpg

I've only done a few little bits and pieces on the engine. I'm prepared to be set alight by the haters here but I bought a Freddy intake manifold. A) to help with the aledged leaning off in cyl 6 and B) because it looks good! Performance wasn't a factor but if it helps then great! The quality was pretty shit. I had to get the mating faces of the two halves to the manifold machined as it was a bit warped. I also port matched it to the gaskets so it should flow perfectly now. In terms of the thickness of the alloy that I have seen questioned in the past it was fine. I drilled at tapped 2 holes in it for MAP and IAT sensors and it was plenty thick enough for that.

Hopefully get the intake manifold painted in the next few days and I can get stuck into it again.

Hoist in and car up-

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

Freddy-

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

Masked up ready for painting-

DSC_0290.jpg

I've "ceramic" (high temp paint anyway) coated my exhaust manifolds so we'll see how resilient that is. I need to heat cycle them to try and lock the paint in place-

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

A snap shot of my next 6 years of spare time....

DSC_0211.jpg

I'm getting reverse cycle air con installed in the next few weeks so hopefully that makes life a little more bearable all year round! Less excuses then anyway!

Painted the intake manifold last night. Going for wrinkle red. I can't find any photos of it done before so not sure how it's going to look with all of the engine covers, turbo pipe, etc in black and the intake red. Be nice if it looked (and went!) like a Ferrari!

Is it just me or does this photo make the manifold look like it's floating...... Nah, just me!

DSC_0291.jpg

First coat and cook-

DSC_0292.jpg

Finished. Didn't wrinkle quite as well as my past efforts have but I still like the textured look even without the wrinkles-

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

Next up I need to try and work out where the fark all the other little fiddly bits and pieces a) have got to after moving house twice since dismantling the engine and b) go on the engine! My recollection on both a) and b) are pretty bloody foggy after 3 1/2 years of being dismantled. I'll be relying on a lot of Google images and good old trial and error!

I set the goal of having it running by the end of March but sadly that is drawing near and not looking likely. If I can at least get everything done to the engine apart from bolting it back in then I'll be pretty happy.

• Like 2

Didn't get much done this weekend which is shit considering it was a long weekend....

Painted the balance tube (??) section of the intake manifold. No prizes for guessing what type of paint..... I'm pretty sure the only items not wrinkle black will be the plenum of the intake and probably the fuel rail which will both be wrinkle red. I hate Essendon footy club so not sure about the colour scheme...

This section is pretty much ready to go onto the head now, just need to decide what happens with the throttle body section. It will be bloody hard to paint neatly so it might go in the too hard basket......

DSC_7096.jpg

DSC_7095.jpg

At some point I'm going to get over painting shit so stay tuned for some not painted stuff getting whacked on fairly shortly...

• Like 1

Oh yeah, also I put all new genuine hoses under the intake manifold. If it worked for the last 20 years it's good enough for me to use genuine again! Cost an effing bomb though..... :dry:

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

• Like 1

Nissan.

Probably could have saved money elsewhere (Amayama, etc) but one of my mates (unfortunately no longer) was spare parts manager at my local Nissan dealership so he always looked after me.