SAU Community

Shoota's R33 GT-R RB30/26

Nice thread, I haven't been on here in yonks and was hoping to see you boosting by now! :D but I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end, nice shed too!

Thanks mate, yeah I wish I was terrorising my neighbourhood but alas it's still sitting in my shed consuming zero fuel apart from whatever is evaporating out of the fuel cap..

Ok, I must have got a bit of a dose of enthusiasm as I ended up painting all of the sections of the intake. I couldn't be fagged completely stripping the throttle bodies down so I just masked it up and painted it. I didn't bother painting underneath as it's not visible from the top so who cares!

Some more shots of painting-

DSC_7111.jpg

DSC_7110.jpg

DSC_7115.jpg

And here is the (almost) final result-

DSC_7118.jpg

DSC_7119.jpg

DSC_7120.jpg

DSC_7121.jpg

I must say I f'ing love it, it looks awesome! Very happy with the result. Hardest part will be not scratching the crap out of it putting it all back together.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Shed height is 4 metres at the peak so the top of the walls I'm pretty sure are about 3700mm to the bottom of the tin. A sheet of 3600mm particle board just reaches to the bottom of the corner purlin.

The hoist at full lift creases the roof sheets above each hoist arm by about 10mm so it's almost a perfect fit. Eventually it'll stretch into position! Luckily it's a hoist with adjustable arms or else it wouldn't have fit.

I took my exhaust manifolds to the local powdercoaters to give the high temp paint a cook and they threw them in the oven for a few days. It only gets up to 220 degrees but good enough to harden the paint a bit. Mounted them up-

DSC_7129.jpg

Had to adjust the throttle linkages so decided to give them a quick clean up on the polishing buff.

From this-

DSC_7134.jpg

DSC_7137.jpg

DSC_7139.jpg

All the little fiddly stuff feels like it's taking forever but I'm slowly getting there.

This is sad a.f but I'm absolutely loving being in the shed, cranking old school music (Pearl Jam, Live, Etc) and just tinkering. I guess things like that are all part of the experience of a build and make it memorable. Unfortunately none of my mates give a shit about cars so no one to share it with. Until it's finished when they all want a ride but that's all good!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

relevant to my interests

where did you get the intake manifold from?

Much to many peoples disgust no doubt it's a Freddy off Ebay. It cost a whopping $220 delivered. The quality of the alloy is fine, the quality of the machining is horrible. I had to get the two halves machined so they mated properly. Then had to spend a bit of time port matching it. Some of the bolt holes between the two halves needed opening up a bit as well.

For what it cost and a few hours work I'm very happy with it. Looks a lot nicer than original one.

Ive been the same lately, me and the dog in the shed with the RB's and music ..

It's very therapeutic! I just wish I could get out there more often. It gets very hard this time of year when you get home after work and it's already dark and bloody cold!

Hey Shoota did you throw a coat of clear coat over those throttle linkages? I fully polished mine and then threw some 2pac clear over the top, and they've already started rusting a mere 6 months later!

Come out to DECA on the 14th, that will get your motivation going again!!!!

Love to big fella. You can take me for a few runs. Might try and convince my father in law to bring out the V8 Datsun Ute for a bit of fun!

Hey Shoota did you throw a coat of clear coat over those throttle linkages? I fully polished mine and then threw some 2pac clear over the top, and they've already started rusting a mere 6 months later!

I didn't mate no. 6 months is quick! Shows how good the Jappo coatings they put on everything is! I might just give it a spray with Lanox to hold off the rust for a bit.

Haven't done much of late. Been too busy trying to make my (massive - 300 square metres) front lawn look presentable. Finally have grass seed in so I can now spend a little bit more time on the car.

Painted the turbo compressor housings, a few fittings I had made up for the turbo water feeds and a set of manifold covers I had sandblasted. Hopefully it gives that side of the engine a bit of a matching theme. I really should paint the turbine housings or get them ceramic coated but I have no doubt I'll flick the twins at some point so don't want to spend too much more money on them yet!

Pics-

DSC_7246.jpg

DSC_7247.jpg

Also been playing around with the coolant/vac pipes at the back of the engine to relocate them around the head breather. All looking pretty neat now. I gave the visible sections of the pipes a bit of a polish on the buff to make them look all pretty and stuff!

DSC_7249.jpg

DSC_7248.jpg

Also started stripping back a spare engine wiring harness I have so I can do a partial wire tuck. All engine wiring will be running under the inlet manifold as opposed to running along the top next to the injector rail. Should neaten things up a bit not having the boxy looking wiring loom cover running along the engine. On the other hand though I'll be running aftermarket coils so I need to work out how I mount those. It'll probably undo all the hard work of cleaning up the wiring!

• Like 1

love the look when all the wiring is hidden.

I saw an stock "looking" engine in a 33 which had a full tuck. it looked so nice. took me a few seconds to figure out why it looked so good stock. them im like, oh yeah no shit everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my turbo housings and bits and pieces back from getting the paint cooked on, they came up pretty good-

DSC_7297.jpg

DSC_7299.jpg

Re-assembled turbos-

DSC_7300.jpg

DSC_7301.jpg

Mounted up the turbs-

DSC_7304.jpg

DSC_7305.jpg

DSC_7310.jpg

DSC_7312.jpg

Just mucking around with braided turbo water/oil lines now.

Putting the turbos back on felt like a big step. It's still going bloody slowly but feels like I'm finally getting somewhere again!

I've got less excuses now, my brother in law came around and fit my reverse cycle air con which takes the chill off the shed nicely! It's never going to be warm in there but it makes a big difference-

DSC_7278.jpg

• Like 1

Actually got a bit done over the weekend which was good. Still miles to go but getting there!

Balanced up the wastegates to crack open at 1 bar. I'll possibly bump them up later on but it's a good starting point. I'll be using a MAC Solenoid to control boost so I may end up backing them off and using the solenoid to control boost based on speed but we'll keep it simple for now.

DSC_7320.jpg

Dumps and wide band oxy sensors on-

DSC_7323.jpg

Manifold heat shields-

DSC_7324.jpg

Modified the power steering bracket to fit the block. For those that don't know the power steering bracket bolts to the block on the taller RB30 block rather than the head. You can see it on the photo above, there are two bolt holes to the top right of the far right water pump bolt, the top one in the head is the RB26 top bolt hole, the lower one that pokes out further is the RB30 point.

DSC_7326.jpg

Waiting on about 30 AN fittings (faaark they add up.....) so can only do a few more bits and pieces till they come.

Still have to completely redo the engine bay wiring loom to add the extra wires I'll need (crank and cam triggers, ethanol sensor, fuel pressure sensor, ignition module, etc etc etc) plus rewiring it to suit the different plugs of the Haltech. That should be great fun....