SAU Community

"australian Standards Immobiliser", Insurance And V35

Hi all,

Just a quick q about insurance & immobilisers on the V35. I've got a V35 coupe with the standard Nissan security system. I've got it insured by JustCar, and one of the condition of insurance is that they won't cover theft or attempted theft unless the car is fitted with an "Australian Standard Immobiliser" (their wording).

Of course they can't (or won't) tell me if they regard the standard system as appropriate, and told me to contact the manufacturer - ie Nissan. I can imagine their reaction.

It looks like the appropriate standard is AS/NZS 4601:1999 - anyone have access to a copy of this?

What has everyone else done in this regard? Anyone else insured with JustCar - have you fitted an alternative immobiliser? What other insurance options do0 we have? Every other company I called wasn't interested in imports. Has anyone had a V35 stolen, or know of any in Australia?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Geoff

Edited by GeeDod

mine is insured with RACV no problems.

the stock immobiliser is not compliant - it has to have three points of immobilisation (AS/NZS 4601:1999). I think some M35 stageas have a compliant immobiliser, but they'd be one of the few grey imports that do.

An aftermarket immobiliser is cheap - and not worth losing your car and your claim over.

Other insurance options you'd have would be a full alarm system that incprorates an immobiliser - but obviously going to be more expensive and still needs to be compliant.

Beyond that, you can add GPS tracking - which would make your car pretty safe!

And IN before someone says 'if they want your car etc etc'..........

Thanks for your input Smokey. The only thing I've found different to what you said is numerous documents suggesting that the standard only requires 2 points of immobilisation, not 3. A couple of sites I've found are

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/3685/immobilisers.pdf

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA8970

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brimbank.vic.gov.au%2Ffiles%2Fbb8404d3-eb82-49b3-98a9-9f2800a1dcc8%2FFeatures_of_an_Aus_standard_immobiliser.pdf&ei=kD-8UOL-I4aViAfD9IGgCw&usg=AFQjCNGnSkZZ32vNA_btiP_aPbWQDYuHnQ

All of which say 2 points. I wish I could read a copy of the standard.

Are you saying the RACV don't require an extra immobiliser?

I think I've found the solution - rang Shannons today and the price is slightly cheaper than JC, with better conditions. JustCar haven't got back with answers to my questions about the immobiliser, Shannons seem happy with the factory one.

It looks like the appropriate standard is AS/NZS 4601:1999 - anyone have access to a copy of this?

Hi Geoff, my bad. Seems like two points is sufficient.

Here are the requirments

The features of an AS/NZS 4601:1999 certified system include:

automatic immobilisation within 40 seconds of switching off your engine;

two independent points of immobilisation;

connections enclosed in security housing;

all black security wiring;

flashing dashboard LED to indicate that the system is armed; and

secure owner PIN override.

Thanks Smokey - that ties up with what I found. Just couldn't get an official copy.

Nightcrawler - When I realised that I had a flashing light I edited my OP to delete the reference to it. Some people reading your post will be wondering what your on :rolleyes:

I'm going to change to Shannons. JustCar can't or won't tell me what they actually want - I'm sure they'd know if my car was stolen.

if there is little to no price difference between Just Cars and Shannons - i'd go Shannons in a heartbeat.

Shannons = Choice of repairer.

Just Car = you go through AAMI's 'quoting' system at their assessment centre or through their 'authorised repairers' and they chose the cheapest quoting repairer.

No more consideration needs to be given.

Hi Geoff,

If u insured with Justcar u better install immobliser as australian standard, my skyline R33 was stolen and justcar refused my claim because i couldn't prove my skyline was fitted 2 points immobliser, now insure my V35 with RACV no problem,

Tu