SAU Community

33 Gtst Street To Track Build

hi all

i got my car back in January 2010 with 88000kms on the clock im not sure how accurate those k's are but i have the import papers which showed 44000 when it arrives here in 2006. it had a bit of work already done to it just mainly the basic power mods. It had a hybrid front mount, 3" impul catback exhaust, apexi pod filter, greddy profec bspec 2 boost controller, larger fuel pump (unsure of what pump though) power fc and set of lmgt4's 17 by 7.5+30 front and 8.5+40 rear that were wrapped in re001's. It was tuned at uni group and made 198rwkw on 12psi. This was plenty for me being my first turbo car. It did have a couple of minor problems but i got it for the right price and they were easy fixes it had a miss, had a series 1 front bar ( the car is a series 2) so it didnt line up properly which was quite annoying and the front grill had a couple of broken clips and was bouncy around when driving.

This is how it was when i got it

post-80537-0-91173200-1354612919_thumb.jpg

post-80537-0-21691500-1354614278_thumb.jpg

Im unsure what this badge is about but it was on it when i got it. but if anyone knows it would be good if you could let me know

post-80537-0-06031600-1354614729_thumb.jpg

So the first things that i done were replace the coilpacks with a set of yellow jackets which fixed the miss straight away and got a new grill.

I drove it around like that for a few months and decided i wanted a bit more power so i ordered a jjr bell mouth 3" dump pipe and 100 cell cat.So i got them fitted and thats when the first problems started on the high boost it the check engine light would flash under hard acceleration. So i took it too blacktracks were i got it on the dyno to check the afr's and see how much more power was made. To my surprise the car was makeing slightly less power 194rwkw but the afrs were sitting on around 13.5:1 until redline. while on low boost( 10psi) they sat perfectly on 12. So to maintain a healthy engine it was to be left on low boost, it didnt worry me much as it's main purpose was to be used at the track so it was only going to run on 10 pound anyway. Thats how things were up unitl a few months ago.

So this is where the build really begins. The plans first are to get the handleing and braking side of things done and get the car well setup for the track and then look at power later on when i fell as though thats what holding me back from going quicker. I will update with the rest later

• 2 weeks later...

so the first lot of parts i got from justjap were some BC er series coilovers, hicas lock bar, pineapples and a rear strut brace.

parts1_zps775466f9.jpg

i put the coilovers and rear strut brace on that weekend. its was way too low in the rear when i first put them in so i had to raise them up about 40mm.

coilover_zpsc191d35e.jpg

rear strut brace on i have read that they dont make any noticeable differnece but i got it anyway i will see how i go if i dont feel like it does anything i get rid of it.

strutbraceon_zpsaabb69f1.jpg

Next i finally got around to get a series 2 front bar so it will finally have a bumper on it that fits properly i had a couple of imperfection and a cracked lip but i was planning on getting another one anyway. so when it arrived i sanded it back prepped of painting i just done it my self with pressure packs as i will getting it painted properly when i get a new lip.

frontbar2_zps5cd6a880.jpg

And the finished product painted and fitted

frontbaron_zps2bcaa592.jpg

Then i was looking i was looking to get a set of 34 gtr wheels to use on the track. i ended up getting a set from import monster that came wrapped in 245/40 dunlop z1's which was a bonus they are a bit old and worn but they would do the job until i got new tyres.

r34gtrwheels_zpsbdc9ab49.jpg

i bought a guard roller as well so i could get them to fit comfortably they only needed a roll on the rear and a little bit of a flare as well on the front. i fitted them the day before the cruise down old pac to galston gorge and these are a couple of photos taken that day

sau21stoct201217_zpsa5545363.jpg

sau21stoct201220_zps22a03f52.jpg

Then it was time for a new timing belt and water pump so i ordered a kit for kudos and got stuck into get that done

timingbeltparts_zpsd45088ee.jpg

Good stuff mate! Should handle nicely once your all setup ;)

Yeah thanks mate. im looking at getting some swaybars and tyres soonish and im in on the group buy at the moment on the D2 brake kits so hopefully that will go through soon. Im heading to wakefield in march so that will be its first real test

I finally got round to fitting the hicas lockbar and pinapples on the weekend since i finally had a bit of spare time.

hicasandpinapples2_zps5d7d9b8c.jpg

it was toeing out so much in the rear after i fitted it. so i got a wheel alignment done and it was 42mm out. it was a handful driving it to bridgestone which luckily is on a minute down the road from my place

toeout_zps542dcbb2.jpg

thanks mate yeah they do. they are probably the cheapest way to get a lightweight forged wheel as well.

yep, tip of the cap to those wheels, very practical without too much statements to the poolice..

how do the pinapples affect the ride, does it make it more comfortable or bit hard on bumps?

• 1 month later...

For track use you'll need Cusco front camber arms & aim for around -3.5 degrees :)

And LSD, 1.5way & ensure the lock isnt too mean.

Oil cooler is a must & bigger radiator (Koyo, not china spec).

Brakes, go for Ksport 330mm 8 pot kit & DS3000 pards all around.

Proper bucket seat & harness to hold you in place.

Then you are ready for some action! Until the turbo lets go then go GTX 3076, injectors and Z32 AFM & say hello to 250-300rwKw (petrol to E85)

And then and then and then and then... I love track days!!!

Nice going................. :)

Feedback on the rear strut brace???

thanks mate

i haven't noticed any difference with it driving on the street.

I'm going to be at wakefield in march so i will do some laps with and without and see if there is a difference when im pushing the car.

im looking into getting my suspension arms now. Im thinking gktech rear upper control arms arms and front castor rods, I will look at those cusco front upper arms aswell

I should have my brakes in the next few weeks i got the 356mm 8pot D2 kit through the group buy. They are probably a bit overkill for me but that were at an awesome price.

Thanks for the advice on the rest aswell

i will go GTX30 when you go individual throttles. I will get there eventually.

i can do some sweet singles in your driveway, i will fit in with all the p plater commo drivers they will look up to me as a god and you can take pics lol

Thanks mate i will keep going as my bank account can keep up haha

A little bit of an update i got at gtr brake master cylinder and booster today to hopefully give a good pedal feel when my new brakes get here.

I will get a rebuild kit for as well when i can find one i haven't had much luck yet. if anyone knows where i can get one, let me know?

brakecylinder_zps0ad62af1.jpg

I got some goodies from gktech delivered. the car is slowly coming together now.

i got braided brake lines even though i don't need the fronts it still worked out better getting the set then buying just the rears separately and brake master cylinder stopper.

gktechbrakeparts_zps30a44c07.jpg

And adjustable castor rods and upper rear arms. I'm very impressed with the quality and just how light weight they are.

gktecharms_zps1b96327b.jpg