SAU Community

Which Big Brake Kit

DaanGTR

I consider fitting bigger brakes to my R34 GTR. I used Alcons on my previous cars, and was very happy. I have one concern which type of big brake kit I should to fit to the car which is used 75% on a track. I thought about Alcon GT Pro Spec calipers kit, which is out of my budget at the moment, or normal Alcon Advantage Extreme kit and use it with track compound pads. Any feedback about Advantage Extreme kit used on a track ? I found some very good opinion about this kits used on a track on EVO and STI forums, so I think it should works very well with Skyline too. Also the price seems be reasonable, and in my range http://www.jdl-brakes.com/special-offer-alcon-adv-extreme-brake-kit-front-and-rear-nissan-skyline-r32-r33-r34-gtr.html Any feedbacks ?

They would have to be the most used brake upgrade on GTRs at the tracks around Aus. At that price they are unbeatable value and perform damn well

I'm surprised by that statement, maybe the budgets are bigger in Victoria.

I reckon more track GTRs are running these brake kits which are substantially cheaper and have great results. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/413182-big-brake-group-buy/

The other common option is various big brembo kits, the 356mm FPV kits in particular are excellend value.

Not to say there is anything wrong with the alcon kits, just that you can acheive the same result spending far less money

I hear what you are saying Duncan. I built up my own brake kit for about $2300 and stoked with it. But the fact is most GTR track cars, be it NSW or Vic or other are worth a load of dosh. He is saying 75% track and whilst I see GTSt and Silvias with the G4 thingies I cannot say I have seen more than 3-5 GTRs running them. Instead they all run either run Alcon, Brembo or AP.

They do seem to play with a different cheque book to most. Hell I suppose when you have an engine, turbo and fuel setup close to 20k to make that 400rwkws then 5k on brakes can be justified. I know that the group buy are good value, but if you can stretch the extra $1500 (3500 GB price vs $4500 +del and GST for Alcons) then I would be going for the Alcons.

I will add the 365mm fronts and 350mm rears cant go astray on 1600kg car with loads of grunt and grip. (vs 356 and 330mm of the Group Buy) Though i suspect the GB kits would be plenty for just about all but the most extreme track cars out there doing actual circuit racing for 10+ laps (not common)

I have that set on my car. The standard Ferodo DS 2500 pads on a full weight GTR dont cut it on the track, esp when you have some poke. They got a little spongey after 5 or so hot laps. JAGR33 (Jack) ran this same kit and was running some Pagid pads. Yellow up the front and black up the back if I remember correctly.

Brilliant Value for money. The calipers are so much lights than the standard R33/R34 Brembo's too.

I've got 3 GTR's that have had those "budget" Alcon kits.

One car still has the brakes fitted and the owner does have issues with them at Bathurst with temperature. We are looking at improving the brake ducting further. Car has a lot of grunt and is used for track days and enjoyment. A bigger upgrade is out of the question. I believe they will be fine for his usage once ducted better

2nd car was killing them, roasting rotors and pads were cooked after a day. We upgraded the rotors to floating bobbin drives and fitted serious ducting. The car does a lot of circuit racing

The owner still had problems and the car ended up with a set of current touring car callipers and rotors. Same ducting cars still going.

3rd car fried a set of rotors and burnt the calliper seals at Bathurst it had serious ducting same as what we use on touring cars.

This car ended up with an older set of the AP touring car callipers and rotors off one of my supercars when I upgraded it to Alcons

It's yet to be driven with the owner being overseas but confident the brakes will last.

The Alcons are a great package for a weekend warrior that wants to increase braking potential, I wouldn't recommend those budget kits for a car that's going to do anymore than super sprints and track days though.

I haven't had any experience with the cheaper gear but as others have mentioned there is loads of people using it.

Anther one to look at would be the AP bolt on kits that get around. They work much the same way as those Alcon kits. Had similar experience with them too but have only upgraded one set to date.

I've got 3 GTR's that have had those "budget" Alcon kits.

One car still has the brakes fitted and the owner does have issues with them at Bathurst with temperature. We are looking at improving the brake ducting further. Car has a lot of grunt and is used for track days and enjoyment. A bigger upgrade is out of the question. I believe they will be fine for his usage once ducted better

2nd car was killing them, roasting rotors and pads were cooked after a day. We upgraded the rotors to floating bobbin drives and fitted serious ducting. The car does a lot of circuit racing

The owner still had problems and the car ended up with a set of current touring car callipers and rotors. Same ducting cars still going.

3rd car fried a set of rotors and burnt the calliper seals at Bathurst it had serious ducting same as what we use on touring cars.

This car ended up with an older set of the AP touring car callipers and rotors off one of my supercars when I upgraded it to Alcons

It's yet to be driven with the owner being overseas but confident the brakes will last.

The Alcons are a great package for a weekend warrior that wants to increase braking potential, I wouldn't recommend those budget kits for a car that's going to do anymore than super sprints and track days though.

I haven't had any experience with the cheaper gear but as others have mentioned there is loads of people using it.

Anther one to look at would be the AP bolt on kits that get around. They work much the same way as those Alcon kits. Had similar experience with them too but have only upgraded one set to date.

Brad, do you have some photos of what yourself or some of your customers have done with ducting air to brakes for cooling?

Thanks for your feedbacks. I'll take Advantage extreme front and rear, price seems be very good. Anyone consider Alcons soon ? I thought we can get better price from them http://www.jdl-brakes.com/special-offer-alcon-adv-extreme-brake-kit-front-and-rear-nissan-skyline-r32-r33-r34-gtr.html if we order two or three sets at one time.

Piggaz, do you recommend to use yellow Pagids instead of standard pads from this kit ?

Thanks for your feedbacks. I'll take Advantage extreme front and rear, price seems be very good. Anyone consider Alcons soon ? I thought we can get better price from them http://www.jdl-brake...33-r34-gtr.html if we order two or three sets at one time.

Piggaz, do you recommend to use yellow Pagids instead of standard pads from this kit ?

No idea mate. I haven't used them. I will when I smash through these 2500's though.

If except of me, there are two more guys that want to order Alcon front and rear kits, then we can get for £2800 plus shipping. It is not big discount, from already reduced price, but still little cheaper.

Edited by DaanGTR

D2s are so far as i know an exact knock off of the AP brakes. I have a set of 8pot 330mm on my 1800kg Stagea and they are great on the track. A set of 360 D2s would be fine for you - ref the group buy.

Many of my friends had D2 on 300ZX, and it was nightmare. I don't know how people can buy that shit. If I can buy Alcons with forged monoblocks calipers, at similar price as chinese D2 on group buy, the choice is very easy for me.

D2s are so far as i know an exact knock off of the AP brakes. I have a set of 8pot 330mm on my 1800kg Stagea and they are great on the track. A set of 360 D2s would be fine for you - ref the group buy.

I can promise you they are NOT A KNOCK off. They use the same pad, but the pistons are different sizes and materials, the calipers probably different materials and they mechanically in no way resemble any AP caliper that has ever been available . All they share is the pad shape....so it hardly makes them an exact knock off

The Alcons are not forged monoblocs...they are cast and they are Monobloc due to ease and price of manufacture. I was only showing a friend today how much heavier they are compared to 6 pot GT APs which are two piece forgings. Side by side the A'ps are lighter...so point being is not that the Alcons are bad, just that they are not a forged competition caliper...they are a premium street caliper

Perfect last line there Troy....

They are a premium street calliper.

Ill put photos of ducting up in here during the week. We're about to replace the Kevlar ducting on a GRM supercar, that is the pinnacle of ducting so ill grab photos of that too

• 2 weeks later...

Just quick update. I received my kits last Monday, and I'm very impressed with JDL service. It took 4 days to get it. If anyone looking for great piece of kit at bargain price, I can recommend them

Ill put photos of ducting up in here during the week. We're about to replace the Kevlar ducting on a GRM supercar, that is the pinnacle of ducting so ill grab photos of that too

Any chance for pics ?