SAU Community

Anyone Turboed An Au Xr6 Falcon?

AngryRB

id be buying the parts secondhand, aim is mostly some extra bottem end torque, used as a daily, would like a similar setup to say a VL turbo where theres no intercoolers or fancy manifolds..

Does the following sound realistic: assuming 6 or 7psi like a VL turbo would run

secondhand Gt3082/gt3076/gt3540 for $1000

walbro pump $160

possibly fabricate own manifold and short dump 3inch $ 800

some kind of chip/remap of computer $1000 using a fuel reg and stock injectors

bought car as a repairable write off for $1200, just needs some work with the front where the bumper fits, apart from that its very nice and is dual fuel and looked after so would be an nice project for a torquey daily driver..

thoughts anyone?

Edited by SliverS2

plenty of people have done turboed falcons (from ea through to au). 200kw is a very reasonable goal too. i wouldn't be suprised if it was higher though.

the biggest costs will be the ecu, tuning, turbo, piping (exhaust and cooler piping), cooler and setting up oil and water feeds to the turbo. and if you don't have a lsd, you might want to think of sorting that out too. the sort of torque that a 4L NA+T puts out will result in lots of wheelspin from an open diff.

Probably cheaper to sell it and get a ba xr6t...

ive heard alot of reliability issues with ba models and extra weight, and also an au would be unique so with the very small cost so far, a turbo conversion would be interesting, not for drag racing but just smooth torque for daily low revs stuff, be nice to hear a 3076 at work under there... have seen stock ba xr6 injectors, manifolds and dump for very cheap, makes it an attractive prospect, manifold would need some modifying though,

Geetee- thanks mate, id take that turbo, but just at planning/considering stage..

Edited by SliverS2

• 2 weeks later...

fordmods.com

A bit of info there.

thanks, some good info there

most falcons seem to gt3582's upward, i wonder if a gt3076 with a .82 or 1.06 would work well, as id like the turbo to be able to start pulling pretty much straight off the line with the auto like a VL would ,

also from what ive read the stock computer uses a map sensor so it may run safely on low boost, but a chip probably a good idea

Im not a fan of supercharging, i like hear turbo spooling noises and the sudden surge of torque comming onto boost compared to the linear delivery of the supercharger..

Edited by SliverS2

Ive git one in my driveway, remember xr6's have the tickford motor which is higher comp, This one is auto with a built box(the stocker didnt last long) running a 1.06 twin scroll gt35r, i think a 3076 would be fine as long as you ran a 1.06 housing. What are your plans for the dual fuel that would be the biggest issue, but you could put gas injection on it whaich runs its own ecu, just be limited with HP, dont want to end up spending 10K to get the whole thing done

Ive git one in my driveway, remember xr6's have the tickford motor which is higher comp, This one is auto with a built box(the stocker didnt last long) running a 1.06 twin scroll gt35r, i think a 3076 would be fine as long as you ran a 1.06 housing. What are your plans for the dual fuel that would be the biggest issue, but you could put gas injection on it whaich runs its own ecu, just be limited with HP, dont want to end up spending 10K to get the whole thing done

well its a sprint gas system so i dont know how it works, wether it part of the petrol computer of seperate, i know it runs petrol first then after it warms up a bit it switches to gas if selected for gas ,( has a switch for gas/fuel), might need a computer that can handle two maps and have it tuned with two maps?

i really want to make it a low budget setup, $3500 max.. all second hand parts and do fab work myself if i can.. gas injection isnt really an option, i wonder if it could run the turbo on say upto 5psi and then switch for upto 8-10psi, or maybe the gas map would have reduced timing.. certainly throws a spanner in the works

how does the tickford respond the the gt35? is it laggy at all

Edited by SliverS2

No need for expensive manifolds.

Just buy a flange and have it properly welded to the original manifold and make the exhaust to suit. Fab up a bracket to support the turbos weight.

Grab the oil feed from the pressure switch port.

Drain back to the sump obviously. (Sumps not hard to remove of the old XR6's)

Water lines from the heater hoses

Run it with a factory BA cooler and make up some piping to suit.

Not long ago I did a bolt on turbo conversion to a dedicated LPG FG falcon. It made as much power on LPG as any other stock XR6T I've seen. If did require upgraded gas injectors and three LPG pump units with an aftermarket control unit.

Do your research about performace LPG systems, there is massive amounts of performance parts and injectors etc out there.

None of its cheap but the results are interesting

No need for expensive manifolds.

Just buy a flange and have it properly welded to the original manifold and make the exhaust to suit. Fab up a bracket to support the turbos weight.

Grab the oil feed from the pressure switch port.

Drain back to the sump obviously. (Sumps not hard to remove of the old XR6's)

Water lines from the heater hoses

Run it with a factory BA cooler and make up some piping to suit.

Not long ago I did a bolt on turbo conversion to a dedicated LPG FG falcon. It made as much power on LPG as any other stock XR6T I've seen. If did require upgraded gas injectors and three LPG pump units with an aftermarket control unit.

Do your research about performace LPG systems, there is massive amounts of performance parts and injectors etc out there.

None of its cheap but the results are interesting

Thanks, ive been browsing ebay and gumtree etc, seems the stock xr6 turbo gear is fairly cheap so shouldnt be too hard to make it a reality,

Im still wondering what turbo should be used, my options as i see it for a budget build are the following

Kando dynamics T67

Second hand garrett

Precision

To make it cheap as possible would need the stock dump to bolt straight up so i think that rules out the kando, and from what ive seen the precision turbos have a 5 bolt housing but looks like its only 0.63, the secondhand gt35's are bit of a gamble though

Any opinions/advice on what turbo selection? im thinking now it has to be a gt3540 spec , a kando with a 5bolt ford rear end would be ideal but dont think that exists?

Edited by AngryRBGTX