SAU Community

Titanium Front Pipe For My Gtr

GTR81

Thanks for the comments,

got the titanium from titanium joe in the US.

yeah it is purged brad and i got a trailing gas setup on the tig torch but your never going to get perfect coverage with it, and i dont do enough to justify buying a bag.

i did think about making up a box to weld it in but that is alot of work for one front pipe.

for those that dont know titanium ideally needs to be welded in an argon bag/purge chamber as it reacts to the atmosphere way more than most other metals that i know of.

yep lots of patience

Yeah I have got one, the main problem was so many welds so close together and being so thin there was nowhere for the heat to go

A pic of the setup I used if anyone is interested

post-59988-0-09600100-1357338842_thumb.jpg

post-59988-0-18493100-1357338871_thumb.jpg

Very Nice work mate :woot: , we are about to start construction of our 4" Titanium Dump pipe/side pipe for drag car cut all the rings up for lobster bends this week. Just gonna fusion weld the joins and with trailing gas attached to the hand piece, pretty simple really. Will post pic's when we do it.

all up it cost about $1000 not exactly sure as i bought a bit extra titanium for a few other things,

the 75mm tube was $400 delivered and that was with about 50mm left over

the 100mm tube and plate for the flanges was about $150

the 100mm titanium v-band was $150

and i used a bit over 1 G size argon at $300 to refill

so it was by no means a cheap exercise but then again the only equal length titanium front pipe that i've seen is the mines one and they are over 2 grand and only

have an 80mm outlet or something.

the midori one looks like good buying for around $1350 or so but thats not equal length and only 90mm outlet.

I have no idea if the equal length does do much for the performance or not but i just done it because it can't hurt and i could.

it was worth the money just to hear the sound of it, and also for anyone wondering it weighs 2.6kg