SAU Community

{Wa} Shaun's R33 Gts-T Track Car Build

racegtst

1 hour ago, Dale FZ1 said:

The widened front and rear bodywork look great!!

Very interested to hear what the TTI box goes like.

Cheers for the feedback.

I have only had a a handful of laps and so far the box is nice to drive. I am still tuning my flatshift setup so there is a still a few timing issues but that has nothing to do wit the box. Being the sequential I have driven I have no commparrison butt he first thing i noticed is you have to put more effort into pulling the lever going up the gears. Going down is way nicer and easier than I thought it would be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3 days before load up day the did not have an engine in it. With a few late nights we got the new engine in, onto the dyno and few loose ends fixed up. The next day it was loaded onto the trailer and then the truck for it's journey to Bathurst.

The truck leaves on Saturday and I leave on Tuesday.

This is a child hood dream coming true to be able to drive Bathurst in anger.

20180116_183000.jpg

20180117_172548.jpg

20180120_111356.jpg

20180120_111505.jpg

20180120_111511.jpg

20180120_111535.jpg

20180120_170125.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timmy_89 said:

What garage are you in? I'm helping pit in #24 I think, will try to drop by and check out the car/say hi if time allows.

I am in garage 20.

The other 2 Skylines that I am travelling with are in the garages either side of me.

I look forward to meeting you.

• 5 months later...

It has been a while since the last update.

Bathurst was an experience and a half. It was much more fun and challenging than I gave it credit for. We did ok especially as this was more of a shakedown session for both the car and myself. I started at the back of the grid in 53rd place and finished the weekend in 27th with a PB of 2.35.8533. there was heaps more in across the top and I was running out of revs down Conrod.

The videos are here:

Race 1:- https://youtu.be/T4IP9x53Pcw

Race 2:- https://youtu.be/SalKIfMcw5Y

Race 3:- https://youtu.be/v63wPakgZjc

Then we came back to Perth and went to our first home round and blew the 3.7 ratio diff.

We swapped a spare 4.1 ratio diff and went to the next round. We were running out of revs down the back staright as well, oh well close ratio gear box life! i also had a TPS problem so we were either stalling on the start or spinning the wheels.

Qualifying:- https://youtu.be/9YeDqea2Vdo

Race 2:- https://youtu.be/nRHX_yOvpys

Race 3:- https://youtu.be/eNXmWk0tvFM

So now we are in the process of fitting a 3.5 ratio diff fro a 350Z into the subframe using the Gkteck offset bushes and standard 350Z drive shafts. The fit of these will be sorted in the next week or so. With the wider rear track we are hoping that the standard 350Z shafts fit nicely.

• Like 3

On 6/29/2018 at 7:31 PM, Dale FZ1 said:

Watched Bathurst race 2 - fairly busy there!

Car looked to run well, no obvious vices just running out of revs.  Going up Mountain Straight too?

What calculated road speed?

Cheers, race 2 was very busy. The first time behind the wheel for 3 years, the first time at Bathurst and the first time with this car configuration!

We only had 2 issues all weekend, we overfilled the dry sump tank so our fault which spewed some oil out the back of the car as the catch can over filled and later we found that the driveshaft bolts had loosened off.

Calculated top speed was 238 KM/H.

• 2 months later...

The 350Z diff and driveshaft conversion was a success. As we have widened the rear track so we were also able to use stock standard 350Z driveshafts.

A couple of weeks ago we had our first race meet using the new diff setup (3.5 ratio) and it was successful. We have also now got the PDM to turn the gearbox and diff pumps on at 40deg to send the oil to the coolers.

The class we run in has a engine, wheel size wight matrix and at the moment the car is still 100kg too heavy. We will plan some weight saving as were going to rebuild the 25/30 which needs this extra weight but have decided to build a RB25.

The last race meet also had a little issue of a left rear leaky seal on the brake caliper which caused some issues in race 3.

I also need to work on my starts, they were beyond pathetic!

Videos of the last race meet:

Edited by racegtst
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been a bit busy and thought I better catch up.

September Race Meet

The tyres were stuffed to begin with so the little tweaks we made since the last race meet did not fully shine.

The day started with a lot of understeer especially in turn 8 but we tuned that out by the end of the day.

Qualifying was on and we qualified 4th with a 64.5.

Race 1 - Time to work on my starts again. Although still not that good they were way better than the last race meet.

I started 4th and finished 4th with a 64.29 lap.

Race 2 again the start was a bit better. I again started 4th and finished 4th with a best lap of 63.75. The fuel pick up hose fell on the pump in the tank which caused fuel pickup issues 2 laps from home. I had to limp home to finish.

Race 3, well the start was not the best but at least I did not stall it. Finished 3rd for the race and the day resulting in the attached trophy. The tyres by this stage were well worn but we still managed a best lap of a 63.9. As we could not fix the fuel pick up hose we tipped 45 litres more fuel into the tank than we needed thanks to Craig so we could have the pump submersed and hope that it would last to the end. All the extra weight made for a bit of hard work but I made it.

There were close battles all day.

Race 3 saw me having a bit of a dice with a Lotus from the Sports Sedans group and then a VF Commodore Sport Sedan. The Lotus let me through after a lap but I did have to battle the Commodore for a few laps. I gave him a touch in the middle of turn 1 and turn 2 and then later in the lap at turn 8 he was wide to the corner and then come across and clipped my front. Once I got passed I was were able to pull away and put at least 1.5 seconds a lap faster.

There was no major damage to the car which is a testament to the front bar and bar mounting support built by Andrew from Maddog Customs.

I had a few camera dramas yesterday so I only have Race 3.

We finished the day 3rd.

https://youtu.be/mFcpDHKm8Oc

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 1

October Race Meet

After a few minor repairs and rebuilding the rear brakes we were ready for the next one.

What an awesome day. It felt like I was in the thick of the action all day.

I was able to beat my PB twice yesterday, once in qualifying and again the last race with a new PB of 62.8233 shaving half a second from my previous PB.

I had a camera issue in practice so only the rear camera worked. I will edit the videos over the coming week and put them up as there was nearly non-stop action all day.

The day started with qualifying in 2nd position on the grid. My starts for race 1 and 2 were way better than I have been doing with race 3 start not the best. I basically chased Craig in the WRX all the way to the finish line.

Race 2 was the reverse grid, I got a good start but other behind me got a better start and ducked to the inside and Andrew (Souvs) got a horrid start. The conditions were damp with light rain in the first few laps and it was a bit greasy. The opening laps involved chasing Paul and Andrew (Souvs) chasing me. Had my left hand mirror touch the Commodore mid corner which then let Andrew (Souvs) past. The Commodore holding me up a bit is where I lost the points for the day.

Race 3 I stuffed the start again. At the end of lap 1 I mowed the lawn down the front straight with a nice save I got back into it from last position. I thought I was stuffed as there 4 of us all within micro seconds of each other to chase down. Ole mate blocker was back but got around him and started to chase down Craig and Paul. 
I finished race 3 in 2nd place but 3rd for the day on points behind Paul and Brad.

It was one of the most satisfying days with close hard racing all day and a new PB.

Race 1

Race 2

Race 3

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by racegtst
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

So I have been busy in the last couple of years and mostly updating the Facebook page.

I have got my flame suit on for the rest of this.

I have made a decision to change the engine in the car and throw away the turbo, fuel injection etc. 

LS is shit so a Chevy SB2 that does have actual NASCAR history and driven by Dale Earnhardt Jnr has been put into the engine bay.

We have taken it out for a shake down yesterday and here is a bit of video. I was only running it about 7,200rpm instead of the 8,700rpm limit the engine has. 

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

So after a diagnosis of prostate cancer and then the associated surgery and recovery, I was eventually allowed to get back behind the wheel. I took it to the local Collie circuit in WA for a bit more of a shakedown and after 7 laps broke the last standard item on the car. The driveshaft. This took 6 weeks to get sorted mostly due to getting parts from the US.

While I was in recovery mode the guys at M&W Ignition systems customised an ignition box to allow me to have flat shift on the sequential gearbox. It performed faultlessly on the first outing. 

Late November I entered the car into the WA Time Attack event just to get some laps under the belt. It was entered in race trim, so Hankook Z221 mediums, 1,450kg overall weight. I was no expecting too much from the car or myself.

To finish 2nd outright was a proud moment. I was able to just get out there and bash in lap after lap, I got about 24 laps across 4 sessions in total and also improved my PB by 0.2 of a second.

Below is a couple of pics and the in car youtube video of the day.

_A6T4586.jpg

_45K0449.JPG

_45K0472.JPG

• Like 3