SAU Community

{Wa} Shaun's R33 Gts-T Track Car Build

racegtst

Car looks awesome Shaun, looking forward to seeing the new brakes fitted up.

They should arrive tomorrow. They will be next weekends job along with fabricating (hopefully) some better brake ducting. Will post pics once done.

• 1 month later...

So I have been busy with work and a bit slack in updating this thread.

I scored a Alcon brake kit from Tuner Warehouse at a good price. While fitting the kit I also decided on trying out the Holford rear big rotor upgrade as well. I have well and truly got the maximum out of the standard size rotors and calipers.

My front calipers have been overheated, the front rotors had metal melting in the slots, the rear pads had been overheated and are white around the edges.

So I pulled out my trusty mini lift and got the car up in the air and the conversion started. We only had a minor problem with the Alcon brackets but Tuner Wareouse have sorted a short term fix whilst we wait for new mounting brackets to be machined up.

I have had a test drive up and down my street to bed in the pads and the thing is awesome. It is much touchier on the pedal than before, so I think I may be losing the booster soon and installing a pedal box. I will be taking it to Barbagallo Raceway this Friday for a tune day to get used to it and then back on Saturday for the race meeting.

Anyway, here are the pics of the brake upgrade:

Before

IMG_0181_zpsf6073cdd.jpg

Car up on my hoist

IMG_0186_zps6fa4827f.jpg

Front rotor size difference

IMG_0191_zps56838481.jpg

Stone Guard on

IMG_0196_zps9676fb56.jpg

Stone Guard Off

IMG_0198_zps456e36f6.jpg

Rear Rotor Difference

IMG_0205_zpsfa0f8899.jpg

Rear Fitted

IMG_0207_zps27b17015.jpg

Rear Wheel back on

IMG_0210_zpse120fef1.jpg

Front Fitted (shit phone spec pic)

AAFEE7B5-D127-452F-A39B-81F128B179DC-108

Those alcons are effing massive, also plans for rear caliper? Looks hilariously tiny on that rotor :P

Alcons are 330mm rotors, I am using 17" rims.

The rears was a try it out sort of thing. I was thinking of making dog bones to be able to mount the front standard calipers on the rear rotor.

Will be trying this setup at the track this Friday on a tuning day before racing on Saturday. So no time for changes.

The big news will be announced next week some time which will see some massive changes in the off season to nearly everything here and has me extremely excited and nervous at the same time.

Stay posted as it does have me in a conundrum at the moment.

Went for a tuning day today and I am very happy with the brake upgrade results. The car felt strong and stable under hard braking.

The real test will be tomorrows race meeting. Videos will be coming next week.

Nice to see a tidy Gts-t race car. Out of interest what rate springs are you running on the Bilsteins?

Thanks. I am not sure on spring rate, when these were installed the I asked the guys to give me a street/track setup as it was regularly used on the road back then. It seems to be working.

Then today I picked up my new race car to compliment this one.

552_zpsd17adcae.jpg

With this in it

576_zps2c8b0332.jpg

This currently makes my garage pretty much perfect RB goodness

568_zps20335afe.jpg

More pics and details on the 180 please, especially the guards! Looks great! Congrats on the purchase :)

The guards are custom hand made by the previous owner. Is running a 25/30 with GT35 @ 18psi, 38mm wastegate,Dry Sumped, 1,000cc injectors, E85, PPG straight cut dog box. Fully forged race built engine. I have a dyno sheet showing 583 RWHP at 6,500 rpm and then it lost traction. Red line is currently at 8,000 rpm. Car is a Sports Sedan and easily does a 60 second lap at Barbagallo.

Haltech computer and dash, 6 pot front and rear willwood calipers on performance friction rotors, pedal box. 10in front slicks and 12in rear slicks. Straight pipes to the side unmuffled with screamer pipe into the main to reduce noise to stop getting pinged for excessive noise at the track.

Looks like a great class to run in, with good clean sportsman like racing.

Must be a truck load of fun.

Nice driving!

It is always fun when everyone is playing nicely.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The Torque Trophy race meet was on last weekend.

Did another PB of 1:05.66.

The camera battery died on the 1st lap of race 3. As the last race was a top 10 reverse grid I had the honour of starting on Pole. Unfortunately on the 2nd last lap I binned it into the sand pit at Kolb corner.

Qualifying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMGA6GypvGo&feature=share&list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ

Race 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdQ6IrOpVbg&feature=share&list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ

Race 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xlF1ZsgnI&feature=share&list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ

Edited by racegtst

good racing again. It was pretty busy at the start of race 1 and you did well to stay out of it...and also well done for not slamming the sprinter at the start of race 2.

BTW are you sure the battery died in the same race you had an off :P