SAU Community

{Wa} Shaun's R33 Gts-T Track Car Build

racegtst

good racing again. It was pretty busy at the start of race 1 and you did well to stay out of it...and also well done for not slamming the sprinter at the start of race 2.

BTW are you sure the battery died in the same race you had an off :P

Cheers Duncan. Race 1 was great fun. Race 2 start made me pucker a bit as it was a reverse grid and the fastest car was right behind me. We had already agreed that I would not swing out to the middle so he could go through on full noise.

If you look through my videos I am extremely happy to display my off track excursions, I even made a 2.5 minute video of all the whoopsies from the sprint series a year or so ago. If you can't laugh at yourself then it is time to piss off to another sport. hahah

I am trying to see if any of the other guys have any in car video so I can make a short video showing the pole position start and then finish it with the car bogged to the axles in the sand pit. One guy lost his video so I'm trying to locate more.

• 4 months later...

Well it has been a while since I have updated this thread.

In the lead up to Christmas I took the 180SX for my first drive at a tuning day. It was fun and scary at the same time. Unfortunately it spun a dry sump pump belt and starved the engine. Currently I am waiting for the block to come back from the machinist. Slicks, pedal box, dog box and all the other things that was new still made it a fun and rewarding day even though I broke it first time out.

The short shifter was a problem on the day as well.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kwE2ajQkNk&list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ&feature=share&index=10

Back to the Skyline all we did was give it a oil change and up the size of the rim from 17x8 to 17x9 and now fitted with 255/40/17 A0050 tyres.

We also swapped the dogbox out of the 180 into the Skyline.

I did a private practice day with the short shifter still in the box and it was causing problems so I swapped the standard shifter back into it. A few weeks later I took it the WA CAMS come and try day and was able to take 4 lucky people for a 4 flat ride in the passenger seat as part of the day. The new shifter was awesome, did not miss a gear or put it into the wrong gear.

We were still having camera issues on this day so have since replaced the camera which has sorted everything out.

Then last weekend (22.3.2014) was 1st race meeting of the year.

We had a ok start to the day but things got worse as the day/evening went on. We has a turbo gasket blow which then led to the exhaust manifold gasket going and a broken exhaust manifold bolt break and a turbo water line failure. We also think we have done a head gasket.

Oh well, this was always going to be this engine's last race meeting. When I bought it it had 178,000 k's on the clock and has done 4 to 5 years hard work on the track so I am happy. Now we are have to remove it and get the rebuilt 25/30 from the 180 dropped into the Skyline over the next couple of months. So I will have a break from racing. Wife is happy as she is due to give birth in the next few weeks.

The videos clearly show we were dropping of over the night.

Qualifying

http://youtu.be/XAj5wmgX-F4

Race 1 - I got a awesome start

http://youtu.be/fW79nnbVnG4

Race 2 - I bogged down on the start and was a bit of a lonely race

http://youtu.be/beDxzHsnZYc

Race 3 - There was some excitment on the first lap and I got overtaken by a WRX on the 2nd last lap just to see him go of track later that lap and get some air.

http://youtu.be/lSZNNo58h9I

• 1 month later...

Since the March race meeting, the car has had the old engine removed and ready to be stripped and refreshed. It had blown a turbo gasket, exhaust gasket and suspected head gasket. Just in time for the new engine installed.

I have had Hyperdrive MS install a surge tank and 2 more bosch external pumps ready to the new Martini Racing Fuel.

Hyperdrive MS have also finished refreshing the new engine and it is now sitting in the engine bay. Only a few things need to be completed before it is started and tuned.

We are still waiting on a new dry sump tank from the US to arrive as the one I had is too tall to fit in the boot. A new dump needs to be fabricated and the oil lines need to be installed. Apart from this stuff only the Haltech Racepak dash needs to be installed and wired.

I have also order some Alcon calipers, 335mm rotors and custom hats and dogbones for the rear to compliment the set at the front and will also trying out the Winmax W7 (front) and W3 (rear) brake pads.

Not far from tuning and a tuning day. We are aiming to get back on track for the Torque Trophy at Barbagallo Raceway in July.

20140515_160937_zpsz5pxfblo.jpg

20140515_160922_zps0zt9vhbd.jpg

20140515_160330_zps44apoy5w.jpg

20140515_160321_zpsrby7rsk3.jpg

Nice car and I've enjoyed the build.

But is there a better place to install the surge tank? I would hate someone to run up your rear end and have fuel problem.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Not the best placement but it will have to do as there is also a dry sump tank going into the boot. Later on a proper fuel cell will be installed allowing movement of the surge tank.

But if i am hit a big speed from behind, i have more problems than fuel...

• 1 month later...

I saw you racing yesterday at Barbagallo Shaun, the car looked great! I was there with a couple of mates and we wondered whether it sounded like it was misfiring or was rev-limited in some way? In any case, looks like you would have had a great day! :)

Here's a pic, only got the one I'm afraid.

post-132-0-58953100-1405314790_thumb.jpg

I saw you racing yesterday at Barbagallo Shaun, the car looked great! I was there with a couple of mates and we wondered whether it sounded like it was misfiring or was rev-limited in some way? In any case, looks like you would have had a great day! :)

Here's a pic, only got the one I'm afraid.

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Thanks James,

Photo looks great.

During practice and race 1 it was breaking down. We re gaped the plugs and it was awesome for race 2. Then i mis shifted into 3rd instead of 5th on the back straight and put a huge hole in the block and sump, snapped a conrod.

i have already secured another bottom end that is built to the same specs so hopefully theres is no head damage and we should be ready for the August race meet.

Interested to hear how the brakes performed.

Pity about the engine damage, hope its running for your next event.

I was very happy with the brakes. There was more in them than was in me. In the 2nd race I was pushing them a lot harder and they were extremely stable with great feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that an oil cooler between your headlights? What a great fit! Is it off the shelf or custom?

I bought the Oil cooler from ARE Cooling in QLD, then we custom made a air guide with the cooler attached and have also mounted the oil filter under the air guide for quick and easy access.

Link; http://www.are.com.au/products/oilcoolers.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Well everything is coming along so I should be at the next race meet with a new engine.

For prosperity below are the videos from the tuning day, Qualifying, Race 1 and a lap whilst doing my PB of 1:03.8831

Videos.

Tuning Day Run 1

http://youtu.be/pbR3to9Tic8?list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ

Tuning Day Run 2

http://youtu.be/owPMgCT7fws?list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ

Race Day Qualifying

http://youtu.be/5823ZmmfmNw?list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ

Race Day Race 1

http://youtu.be/BcZ-Qwh32Tc?list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ

PB Lap in Race 2

http://youtu.be/-S4RPx0enmM?list=UUN_S9UXm_5hc5gLKkqvccTQ

Nice build mate. Are those brake ducts your running? If so, any chance of taking some pictures of how they are set up and mounted etc? Im looking to make some also on my 33 so seeing pictures of them on the same car would be great.

Cheers fella

Amir

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build mate. Are those brake ducts your running? If so, any chance of taking some pictures of how they are set up and mounted etc? Im looking to make some also on my 33 so seeing pictures of them on the same car would be great.

Cheers fella

Amir

Amir,

There are some photos on page 3 of this thread.

Basically I just cable tied the duct along the inside of the body and cable tied it several times to point it into the center of the rotor. On the front bar I drilled some small holes and cable tie 3 times to ensure that air goes into the tube and that at speed they will not fly off.

Amir,

There are some photos on page 3 of this thread.

Basically I just cable tied the duct along the inside of the body and cable tied it several times to point it into the center of the rotor. On the front bar I drilled some small holes and cable tie 3 times to ensure that air goes into the tube and that at speed they will not fly off.

Thanks mate. So no hub adaptors or anything for the duct to sit on? Where did you get the ducts from?

Thanks mate

Thanks mate. So no hub adaptors or anything for the duct to sit on? Where did you get the ducts from?

Thanks mate

no hub adapters, I could not find any off the shelf, just cable ties. Works a treat.

i bought the ducting from GoGear in Mount Hawthorn WA. Was about $70 per length from memory. most good race shops should stock the stuff.

no hub adapters, I could not find any off the shelf, just cable ties. Works a treat.

i bought the ducting from GoGear in Mount Hawthorn WA. Was about $70 per length from memory. most good race shops should stock the stuff.

Legend thanks mate. Any chance fo posting up a couple of pictures of how you tied it to the hub? The pictures on p3 dont make it clear. Do you do the no limits events at barbagello?

Cheers