SAU Community

Will The R32 Gtr Become A Japanese Classic In Years To Come? Or Are There Just Too Many Of Them?

Hi everyone,

Was reading through a fast fours and rotaries today and there was a random comment made on a r32 gtr.

It suggested clean examples are on their way to "becomming Japanese classics (in australia)," any thoughts on that?

Were there "too many" r32 gtr's made and/ or imported into australia for it too considered a potential "classic?"

or perhaps, could they become the equivalant of the Australian classics i.e. the monaro, torana or falcon gt-ho of pervious generations?

Thoughts?

Meta

In my opinion only:

In Australia clean unmodified and original cars are hard to come by, however they are not rare cars overall. Stock collectible cars are already increasing in value over more worn/modified models. However, and its a big however, there were 40,000 + R32s made.

The more collectable cars in my "order" would be Race/GrpA/Historically signifigant cars, ADM models, N1, Nismo cars, VSpec II, Vspec, and then the rest.

In my opinion only:

In Australia clean unmodified and original cars are hard to come by, however they are not rare cars overall. Stock collectible cars are already increasing in value over more worn/modified models. However, and its a big however, there were 40,000 + R32s made.

The more collectable cars in my "order" would be Race/GrpA/Historically signifigant cars, ADM models, N1, Nismo cars, VSpec II, Vspec, and then the rest.

I don't disagree with you there, aside from the australian delivered one's, is there much value in the n1, nismo, v-spec, etc?

I only say this as most r32 gtr's out there are sporting parts off the nismo body kit, i.e the front bar vents, the lip, or other nismo optional kits/ parts?

along with that, engines are often rebuilt, converted to single turbo conversions and the like?

So do you feel the stock r32 gtr's in original spec, will rise more in price in say in the comming decades? or will their production numbers keep them at a steady value?

Edited by goingforadds

A good clean example should always command top dollar.

Keeping one in good order is the hard and expensive bit.

Won't be long before new parts just won't be available, I'm amazed they still stock so many parts for a vehicle designed 25 years ago.

But look at the Mustang, over a million made and a pretty ordinary sort of car.

Try to buy a good one here in Aus, very hard to come by.

Question is could your money work harder for you than investing it in an old sports car, bit of a no-brainer really.

How much for a (almost) unused one?

http://exchange.goo-...2003/index.html

Wow...i dare say the only road use that car has seen is literally to the detailers, that car is scarily clean lol

wow that's gorgeous even if it is the worst colour

Worst colour? no way, the gun-metal grey is the quintessential r32 gtr colour

A good clean example should always command top dollar.

Keeping one in good order is the hard and expensive bit.

Won't be long before new parts just won't be available, I'm amazed they still stock so many parts for a vehicle designed 25 years ago.

But look at the Mustang, over a million made and a pretty ordinary sort of car.

Try to buy a good one here in Aus, very hard to come by.

Question is could your money work harder for you than investing it in an old sports car, bit of a no-brainer really.

Can't really see a r32 gtr as an investment, more like that car your grand-parents/ parents owned when they were younger and regretted selling later life? (not sure if you get me)

perhaps a better way think about it is like this: Think of our parents/ grandparents generation and how they would of owned all of those nice cars we consider "old school," such as the toranas, monaros, rx3's, datsun 1600, etc

Now consider the asking price for those cars and how they've come back into the spot light over the recent years and how they're priced?

Do you feel the skyline will gain that type of status in later life? or will it just be another japanese sports car?

in my opinion, the r32gtr is probably still another 10 to 15 years from starting to rise in price (ADM models excluded). the reason being that the r34 is still dropping in price, and given that the majority of people would prefer the newer, nicer 34. then there is the r35 to take into consideration. the longer nissan keep the r35 in production, the more effect it will have on the earlier skyline prices. so it may take even longer.

i still also think that the r34 will be more of a collectors item than the r32 in the future, in the same way that a XY GTHO phase 3 falcon is more sought after than a XW or XR. people always want the last model with the better tech. so it will end up being the r34 v-spec2 or possibly m-spec2 that will be more sought after, behind the N1 and Nur versions obviously, despite there being more v-spec2 built than the v-spec or the standard model. the models with the most goodies are always the ones that are more sought after.

in my opinion, the r32gtr is probably still another 10 to 15 years from starting to rise in price (ADM models excluded). the reason being that the r34 is still dropping in price, and given that the majority of people would prefer the newer, nicer 34. then there is the r35 to take into consideration. the longer nissan keep the r35 in production, the more effect it will have on the earlier skyline prices. so it may take even longer.

i still also think that the r34 will be more of a collectors item than the r32 in the future, in the same way that a XY GTHO phase 3 falcon is more sought after than a XW or XR. people always want the last model with the better tech. so it will end up being the r34 v-spec2 or possibly m-spec2 that will be more sought after, behind the N1 and Nur versions obviously, despite there being more v-spec2 built than the v-spec or the standard model. the models with the most goodies are always the ones that are more sought after.

I agree with everything until the last point.

I reckon the r32 will be more of a jap classic collectible than any of the other gtrs. I think its racing pedigree and accomplishments both here in Australia and in Japan will serve well for its value and demand a decade from now.

I agree with everything until the last point.

I reckon the r32 will be more of a jap classic collectible than any of the other gtrs. I think its racing pedigree and accomplishments both here in Australia and in Japan will serve well for its value and demand a decade from now.

I also agree with this. I think the R32 GTR will be the more collectible out of the R32, R33, R34 GTRs.

the r32 may become sought after earlier than the later models, but i think that in time, the later models will become more valuable. a car doesn't have to have a racing pedigree to be sought after. plenty of american muscle cars are sought after simple because they are muscle cars that had a sort of cult status for being fast. the r34 gtr got this with it's nurburg lap times. plus the rarity of some of the later model versions.

there are plenty of cars that had racing success that will never be highly sought after. i'm sure there are some volvos, etc, that had racing success that will never sell for nearly 1 million dollars. at least not in australia or the US.

I also agree with this. I think the R32 GTR will be the more collectible out of the R32, R33, R34 GTRs.

Agreed, though personally, I'm not too sure about the R33 GTR? (not bagging out the r33 gtr owners)

That is to say, in Australia, with so many r33's gt25t's rolling about with gtr styled body kits, I find it hard to sympathis with the R33 GTR, i'm not saying it isn't note worthy, it just feels cheapened by the amount of r33's out there

Other than this, I have to wonder what the r33 GTR has to offer to future collectors? (other than being an r33 gtr?)

The r32 gtr re-ignited the GTR legacy with it's racing dominance, and the r34 finished it?

Any thoughts on the r33 gtr?

IMHO

R32 and R35 GTR's will be what is rememberd and worth a penny in Australia.

As pointed out ADM's and a few of the unique models (least produced), Iconic race GTR's (eg: Winfield) to top the investment dollar in Aus, with Skyline enthusiasts.

R34's.....Hmmm - Z Tune is the only one I'd persoanlly be keen on and rate.

A car needs very special acheivments or rarety to make it worth something in the future.

Standard run of the mill 89-94 R32 GTR's are still way to plentiful to be worth much for at least another 20-50 years.

IMHO

R32 and R35 GTR's will be what is rememberd and worth a penny in Australia.

As pointed out ADM's and a few of the unique models (least produced), Iconic race GTR's (eg: Winfield) to top the investment dollar in Aus, with Skyline enthusiasts.

R34's.....Hmmm - Z Tune is the only one I'd persoanlly be keen on and rate.

A car needs very special acheivments or rarety to make it worth something in the future.

Standard run of the mill 89-94 R32 GTR's are still way to plentiful to be worth much for at least another 20-50 years.

I agree with you on the couple of decades thought, i can't see a r32 gtr getting classic status for at least 20 more years, and you're right, there are "way too many" r32 gtr's at the moment, however,

Aside from the chasis numbers, the only defining r32 gtr was the Nismo edition, which had the least amount produced and the body kit, though, most r32 gtr's are sporting parts off that edition and very few of those nismo's exist in their original conditions (most have been resprayed).

So considering that, will the r32 gtr become a base plate for replica's to made of, like gt-ho falcons, torana's, etc? or is it good enough in stock form to gain appreciation later on as a classic in itself?