SAU Community

Kams R32 Gtr

Hi,

my names Kam, I live in a small town in Central NSW, I have just purchased for myself a r32 gtr.

I consider myself to be a bit of a Japanese car fan, I have always wanted a GTR since i was a kid, but never got around to it / had funds etc. i have several other modified Japanese cars.

6 S13's Most powerful 255rwkw.

2 GTIR's (one with 200awkw)

1jz soarer 224rwkw

1jz jzx90 chaser 300 rwkw

Intergra Type R

Imported MR2 turbo,

I currently the only S13 and the only GTR in town. and except for a 4 door R33 non turbo i have the only imports.

As well as owning the GTR i currently own a 1995 Sil80 SR20 with 255rwkw which DVS JEZ on the Central Coast tuned (2871, nistune, jun cams, brides, cage etc) , I have built this car from ground up. This car was registered but because it was getting to crazy and piggy i let the rego lapse about 4 months ago and use it for track only.I have no intentions on stopping drifting at the moment and make it down to the track about once a month on average to drift, you will find me at most driftmob events, if you see me come say hi,

PIG_Drifting.jpg

its safe to say i have the motorsport bug, in the last year i have sold my fast daily and bought a slow 4wd daily for towing duties and purchased my own car trailer and poured hundreds of hours into my drift car. But i have always wanted to do circuit and hillclimbs. and always envisioned me taking up these events in a GTR.. I had been looking on and off for a GTR for a few months and found one at a price i was happy with in a condition i was happy with. 2 days later i was towing it home.

1994 Model - 66,200 original km's ,Car was imported in 2002 by unique auto sport and sold with 43,000km , Engine spun a bearing and was fully forged and rebuilt by unique auto sports at 52,000km's in late 2005 (i have all reciepts for build and all mods), Car was tuned by CRD and pulled 305kw at wheels. Since then the previous owner just basically sat the car in his garage and enjoyed it occasionally. he had it for 10 years, This really shows in its overall condition. it is basically brand new inside / out. DVS jez come over with me when i was purchasing it and he performed a compression test and was 161-164 across all cylinders.

Exterior

Vivid Canary

Lenso D1 Deep Dish Rims 18x10 +22

Kumho 265/35/18 Rubber

Interior

Kakimoto 340 KM/H Instrument Cluster

HKS Boost Controller

HKS Turbo Timer

APEXI Rev/Speed Meter

Short Shift Gear Lever

Alarm / immoboliser etc

Blitz Boost Gauge

All Seats,Carpets & Dash+Dash Vents Perfect Condition

Motor

Power FC

Z32 Airflow Meters

HKS Twin Power Ignition Amplifier

Splitfire Coil Pack

Bosch Fuel Pump

Sard 800cc Injectors

Fuel Pressure Regulator

N1 Oil Pump

Ported Cylinder Head

Forged pistons

Metal Head Gasket

Group A Turbos

HKS Pod Filters in Custom Air Box

Blitz Blow off Valves

Bar & Plate Intercooler

Stainless Turbo Dump Pipes

Stainless Front Pipe

Hi Flow Cat

100mm Cat Back Exhaust

Tein Coilovers

Front Strut Brace

Os Giken Triple Plate Clutch

Brembo Front Brakes

Car drives like a dream, Few things i need to fix though,

Front Lip is missing, this was cracked from scraping and not repairable, going to get a carbon fibre one and paint it yellow

small dint in drivers side front 1/4 panel (i am a perfectionist)

Tyres hit rear guards when hard cornering or have passengers (guard rolling this weekend)

Rear Passenger side Wheel Bearing needs replacing, its humming when i turn right.

Boost Controller will boost fine to 1bar, then creep up to 1.2 bar when its set to 1.3bar (high boost),

Need some front control arm bushes.

Plans for future modifications

Oil Cooler with relo oil filter.

Torque Splitter Controller

Water temp / oil temp / oil pressure gauges

Turbosmart Eboost Street Boost Controller.

Stage 2 cams.

Retune and Dyno.

Plans for later down the track

Twin GTRS turbo's or something equivalent

not too sure what else, everything is pretty much done i planned to achieve and i will have my desired power output, i will probably just enjoy it and do little tweaks then :)

I am taking this to the 1/8 Mile Drags next month to see how i go. the best time i have got in my Sil80 is 9.06 seconds with a wheel spining 2.4 0-60ft.. I am confident i can beat this by about a second.

I will keep u all posted with some clips when i do :)

What i would love to know, i cant seem to find any information on the Group a turbo's , power outputs, compressor wheel size, etc. anyone help ?

I should be at the R32 GTR photoshoot in sydney next saturday in this :) i will probably tow it down though.

Pics time.

Cheers

Kam

DSC06074.jpg

DSC06055.jpg

DSC06066.jpg

DSC06177.jpg

Nice work man. Congrats on owning another fine example of the legendary R32 GTR. Good to see quite a few on here at the moment getting the attention they deserve. Also need engine bay shot. ;)

Thanks guys. So far no regrets,

B

Yesterday went on a cruise with a mate with a R34 GTT, was having so much fun so it ended up being a 11 hour cruise to Bathurst to do some laps of Mt Panorama and then back. car went great, it was over 40deg (up to 44deg outside temp at one stage), I had minor problem with intake pipe cracking due to heat, but managed to band aid it up and will replace with silicon joiners, First time i took the GTR through some twisties, i must say i was quite impressed, i cant wait till do it on a cooler day :)

Heres some happy snaps from the day :)

DSC06628.jpg

DSC06643.jpg

DSC06663.jpg

DSC06691.jpg

DSC06702.jpg

DSC06714.jpg

DSC06727.jpg

DSC06751.jpg

DSC06779.jpg

i wish i could have given it a bit of a squirt on the track.. its so tempting.. but if someone complained about a "bright yellow skyline" fanging it round the track they would find me in no time. its not exactly a sleeper lol.. but i was good, i look forward to giving it a bit on a hillclimb there one day :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys...

Bit of an update today, I finally got off my ass and got a new front lip. Went with a JUN style carbon fibre lip, looks really good on the car, the pictures do not do it justice. Also went to a show and shine in Dubbo, won the category of best "other" lol .. they didnt have an import category. but had a tractor category, wtf

From a mechanical perspective i replaced the leaking intake pipes with custom made steel pipes, looks much better than that garden hose shit and also has no leaks. Also discovered an intercooler piping leak at the top of the hot pipe, i read that this is quite common so i have got a hard intercooler piping kit and am painting this black to match the current colour scheme under the bonnet (i want all black piping etc) and installing

Now since i have fixed these leaks the car is over fueling something shocking and wont boost past 10psi, i suspect that the previous owners tuner didnt notice the leaks and tuned accordingly and now that its getting more air the ECU is correcting and putting more fuel in which is what my tuner suspects as well. Anyways its heading over to jez @ DVS tuning in the next few weeks to get tuned so it isnt over fuelling. by then i will have the hard intercooler pipe kit painted and installed. hoping to get around 300kw or so.but will be happy regardless as long as it runs properly.

DSC07557.jpg

DSC07603.jpg

DSC07750.jpg

What hard piping kit did you go for??

Went with a Just Jap Kit, was $400, and i am coating them in black professionally (my mate has a paint booth) , i will put pics up when they are on next week.

Beautiful car, looks great in yellow

If its over fuelling then there is still a leak some where

Thanks mate for the nice comment, There is definitely no leak in there now. Either way, next week will have the hard pipe kit on there and then jez will be re tuning it. if there is any leak problems etc that i have missed jez will fix it up. Ill keep you posted, and just to be 100% sure im gonna check again tonight :)

The over fueling is most likely a result from fixing your leak.

I could be wrong, but I think that your car just needs to be re-tuned, it wont boost more than 10psi because the PFC will be putting itself in safe mode (its not stupid you know).

You must be emitting a lot of smoke out of the exhaust as well under load which is great for the trees :P

Your car is really tidy and I like it :thumbsup:

It was just a suggestion, but in my experiences cars that have been tuned with a leak and then the leak is fixed it runs lean due to metered air no long escaping and the computer isn't tune for that amount of air making it to the motor and not putting in enough fuel to compensate for it, where if the car wasn't over fueling and now it is that would suggest to me a leak and the air the AFMs are telling the computer is going through isn't making to the motor and the computer is put fuel in for it would result in over fueling

either way i'm sure Jez will sort it :thumbsup:

I really like the blue cam covers with the yellow car and now I'm on the computer instead of my phone the car likes even better, any plans on bringing it to eastern creek drags one Wednesday night

yeh i understand where your coming from mate.. there was also leaks in the intercooler piping as well. not just the intake piping.. which is why i got the hard piping kit...

either way its booked in with jez and i am very much looking forward to being able to hit full boost finally in the car :)

in regards to eastern creek i will plan to bring it there sometime, the problem is i live over 300km away and need to arrange it around my busy work schedule (these cars dont pay for themselves lol)

but if a bunch of GTR's are going ill make sure that once things are sorted i go down and see what it pulls 1/4. im hoping in the 11's once running properly. (prob be high 11 or low 12 i think)

yeh i understand where your coming from mate.. there was also leaks in the intercooler piping as well. not just the intake piping.. which is why i got the hard piping kit...

either way its booked in with jez and i am very much looking forward to being able to hit full boost finally in the car :)

in regards to eastern creek i will plan to bring it there sometime, the problem is i live over 300km away and need to arrange it around my busy work schedule (these cars dont pay for themselves lol)

but if a bunch of GTR's are going ill make sure that once things are sorted i go down and see what it pulls 1/4. im hoping in the 11's once running properly. (prob be high 11 or low 12 i think)

305awkw - low 12????

I think high elevens are more realistic - unless you have a bad start at the line or leak somewhere :P

Edited by Ants

305awkw - low 12????

I think high elevens are more realistic - unless you have a bad start at the line or leak somewhere :P

Yup i tend to agree, but i would preffer to under estimate, than overestimate and have people think i am talking shit or something lol

New hard piping has been painted now, pick it up monday, then doing piping on tuesday.. pics to follow :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, bit of an update

Put in the hardpipe kit that we painted, come up tops, see attached images Going to do the intake pipes and the airbox soon as well :)

Also got it retuned, Tuner said that the tune was really shithouse and it required a full basetune to fix properly, but as i am planning to change the turbo soon and add cams we just touched it up.. still managed to get a lazy 310kw @ 17psi. There is an issue with the actuators, as you can see by the boost curve, makes the car feel very lazy, but it going much quicker now and not using anywhere near as much fuel :)

I also bought a torque splitter controller, and will put that in when i could be bothered.

Future plans are 2860-5s, Tomei Type B cams, Oil Cooler, Oil filter relo kit and gauges. Target is 500whp which if i dont get i should get pretty close. i look forward to having the pull of the 2860's :) , the Group A's will be up for sale soon

VIDEO ON DYNO :)

GTR2.jpg

gtr1.jpg

gtr_dyno.jpg