SAU Community

Wta 2013 Discussion

GTR32G

Ill be entering clubsprint again this year

Me personally I think the rule changes are a good step forward, especially in clubsprint as a few cars were IMO outside the rules

We will just have to wait and see how it turns out!!

I'm not surprised they have to use Yokos.Last year every class of the Yokohama WTAC was won on Hankooks. Not great for the event's naming rights sponsor. They should at least offer a decent discount on their products to entrants though - no mention of that in there...

But what I think is - they are still really crap at writing rules. Not that it really matters because they've never enforced them.

And the weight limits heavily penalise RWD for some strange reason... 1150kg minimum weight for RWD in Open, but a FWD can be 300kg lighter!!! WTF?

I do like that they've reigned in the Clubsprint rules which people were taking severe liberties with. Hopefully the rules are enforced from now on.

Edited by hrd-hr30

All competitors must use Advan tyres?? Surely not!

Lol everyone has to use advan tyres.

If a control tyre is used do you think it will represent a better comparison between cars? Does using only one type of tyre mean that it really will pit engine and chassis against one another on a leveller playing field?

Not saying I necessarily agree with the rules of only using Yokis (which I don't) but something to consider perhaps?

I find it funny one of the reasons they are going to a control tyre, is because of the 'special' tyres that some teams have allegedly been given when Yokohama were the ones accused of doing it.

i'll be entering open, assuming that it doesn't fill up in 30sec again.

I think the rules are a good step forward too, but as ben said - only if they're enforced. The changes seem the level the playing field a bit more for guys running smaller budgets (Like me :) ) i think

I find it funny one of the reasons they are going to a control tyre, is because of the 'special' tyres that some teams have allegedly been given when Yokohama were the ones accused of doing it.

Both Yoko and hankook did it

i know a team that were running yokos then switch to the hankooks and gained over a second in lap times

i just hope like already stated that they will be enforcing everything and hope the lap times become about driver and car setup

If a control tyre is used do you think it will represent a better comparison between cars? Does using only one type of tyre mean that it really will pit engine and chassis against one another on a leveller playing field?

Not saying I necessarily agree with the rules of only using Yokis (which I don't) but something to consider perhaps?

I actually enjoyed comparing the times the cars were doing on the different tyres - that's the one thing I was able to personally take away that might help me moving forward...

Agree, a control tyre is great for leveling the playing field to truly determine who has the fastest car on that tyre. However it does nothing for growing the sport and tyre manufacturer development.

Those cars that were sponsored by Hankook, Kuhmo, Bridgestone, Dunlop and Federal are financially disadvantaged if they do not receive the same deal as they were getting before. Are they going to enter now on Advans? Maybe yes and maybe no. If they don't, and there may be some big teams that dont as a result of this, then its the spectator that misses out.

My 2c...

If a control tyre is to be introduced then why not make it a slick like the supertaxis ? We may then see cars out for more than 1 lap per session.

This whole 1 lap shit is doing more damage to the spectators than anything else IMO.

Those cars that were sponsored by Hankook, Kuhmo, Bridgestone, Dunlop and Federal are financially disadvantaged if they do not receive the same deal as they were getting before. Are they going to enter now on Advans? Maybe yes and maybe no. If they don't, and there may be some big teams that dont as a result of this, then its the spectator that misses out.

+11ty

I know if I drove a time attack car that was sponsored by say Toyo, got free R888s and had a big Toyo sign on the side of my car... well I'd be pissed!

My 2c...

If a control tyre is to be introduced then why not make it a slick like the supertaxis ? We may then see cars out for more than 1 lap per session.

This whole 1 lap shit is doing more damage to the spectators than anything else IMO.

But isn't the whole point of the sport "How fast can these guys go on street tyres?" :/

Street tyres for Clubsprint fine, no issues.

But, (and it may not be a tyre thing) I'd personally like to see more laps from the top cars in Pro and Open.

Yes I know the top Time Attack cars aren't built for multiple laps, but even 3 laps per session is better than 1 if it can be achieved somehow...

Yoko were accused in 2011, Hankook in 2012. Would be better if you had to run a 'marked' tyre supplied by the event organisers. Ie put in your orders before the event and get them at the event and who knows I might end up with Nemo or Cybers tyres??? haha

My 2c...

Yokohama don't bring a slick into aus that I know of.

I wish that Open was limited to 8 tyres. I can't afford 3 sets! Even with endorsements! Still unsure if I'll enter this year... Might have to revise the height of my wing?

My 2c...

Traditional jap time attack doesn't use a slick, I figure. The guys in the states can use the grooved r comps and in the UK is a full slick?

Yoko were accused in 2011, Hankook in 2012. Would be better if you had to run a 'marked' tyre supplied by the event organisers. Ie put in your orders before the event and get them at the event and who knows I might end up with Nemo or Cybers tyres??? haha

Yokohama don't bring a slick into aus that I know of.

I wish that Open was limited to 8 tyres. I can't afford 3 sets! Even with endorsements! Still unsure if I'll enter this year... Might have to revise the height of my wing?

Looks like it, no higher than the roof line.

I love that there is an actual set of rules now (previously more guidelines) it's the natural evolution you can see a lot of time has gone into it and they have consulted some people who know what they are talking about. I think good stuff. Changes are never going to please everyone.

I'm doing club again, I just need more tyre. I can get a 265 on easy, but is that going to be much better than a 255...doubt it.

Need to get a 285, but to do so will be narrowing the track to get wheels to fit....mmmm

Need to get a 285, but to do so will be narrowing the track to get wheels to fit....mmmm

Narrowing track? Outside point will be the same though? track would remain the same. Still run 255 fronts then?

I called Ian Baker to ask about a number of things, including the tyre situation and its potential impact on the event. He said it was ok to post details of the conversation and this is my take on it;

Ian basically said the decision was, not surprisingly, purely commercial. Ian expressed that it costs approx $1m to put on an event like WTAC. Costs such as flying teams over, accommodation, car transport, appearance fees are largely worn by the event of which Yokohama Advan pay a lot of. Those costs are very large and are potentially underestimated by the public. As the major sponsors of WTAC, Advan felt the current return on investment was not great enough. Of large concern, Advan felt the exposure the other tyre manufacturers were receiving as result of the event, far outweighed the investment the other tyre manufactures were making into the event itself, which was nowhere near the investment Advan were making. So ultimately Yokohama Advan questioned the arrangements and hence something needed to be done about it.

The rule changes thus far including the tyre situation has not dampened the interest in the event. Ian claimed there are approx 400 potential applicants for this years event! Last year 50-60 cars missed out so the event is large enough and is growing and therefore justifies the high competitor and entry costs. When asked about the overseas entries, not sponsored by Advan and how they are being impacted, Ian was not sure at this stage and was still working through it.

On a negative note, Ian has received huge interest in moving WTAC overseas to Asia (Thailand specifically) and America. There is big money being offered to do that however that would mean it can no longer be run in Australia. That's not what he wants however depending on the events financial performance this year that may be an eventuality. Just to be clear that is not being planned however like any business, if it doesn't work out you consider all your options.

In relation to the tyres, he didn't at first share any information on the support entrants would get on Advan tyres however later said a decision has not been made on whether or not entrants would receive support if they were to enter however I got the impression there may be some support offered.

great to see Ian supporting the release of honest and transparent information about the event.

As far as Yokohama supporting competitors; they have had exclusive agreements with various categories over the years (in particular IPRA), and in every case competitors had to buy tyres at full retail, or more. As an example, when we had to run A048Rs they cost 20% more than the much better dunlops at around $550 a corner.